Windows 10: Grey Screen

Discus and support Grey Screen in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem where if the monitor has been switched off for a while (but PC is still on), when I turn monitor back on I just have a grey... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Booms, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Booms Win User

Grey Screen

Hi,
    I have a problem where if the monitor has been switched off for a while (but PC is still on), when I turn monitor back on I just have a grey screen, no cursor or anything. Lights on PC are still on, but I have to switch PC off, then back on, and all is fine again. I have sleep, hibernation etc. turned off. Display set to not turn off. Using Windows 10 64 bit Home. Zowie XL2430 24" TN LED.
    This happens most of the time, but not all of the time. Can anyone help, please?

:)

Booms, Feb 22, 2018

2. Grey Screen

Start my computer it boots up and goes to the colour scenery screen.

Then progress to the Colour enter password screen.

Once i enter my password I progress to the desktop screen.

This screen is grey and so are all of the applications including goggle. all internet files, excel, word etc.

"O-B-One, I need your help"

* Moved from Insider

Frank Colautti, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Grey Screen

Nevermind sorry lol. Apparently come of the hardware wasn’t connected. Thanks for your help

TonyLin122, Feb 22, 2018
  4. Grey Screen

Hi Booms

If your monitor has multiple inputs what happens if you cycle through them. Example Some devices have VGA, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. So cycling through them would have you use the input selector to go from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, VGA and back to HDMI 1.

What I'm thinking is the auto sense input selector is not selecting the right input.

We all have our own reasons but could I ask why you don't use sleep (computer) with its associated low power state on monitor?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Booms Win User
    Using DVI input. Have tried cycling through inputs, but no joy.
    Do a lot of streaming from PC to TV during the night, so wasn't sure if Sleep mode would affect this or not.

Booms, Feb 23, 2018
  6. I think I would try allowing screen to go into power saving state, although I acknowledge it will use a little more power.

Then I would let computer sleep which should more than offset that usage.

Under Advance Power management options, the last one is Multimedia settings. If you expand this heading you will see three options. I'd like to think the first option, "when sharing media" will prevent this. Worth a test.

Right click Start, left click Power Options, left click Additional power options, left click "Change Plan Settings, left click "Change advance power settings, last heading in window.

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2018
  7. Booms Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I will change the settings, but I am going away for 3 days, so will see how it goes when I return Tuesday evening.
    Cheers!

Booms, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Booms Win User

Grey Screen

Tried it today, no grey screen, but BSOD instead with the following error "kmode exception not handled".

Booms, Feb 26, 2018
  9. Well that is not progress.

I would do a restart and then monitor. Another BSOD and I would submit the info on our BSOD forum and switch the setting back to your original value.

Obviously a machine should not BSOD over a minor power setting. The BSOD team should be able to identify the offending driver.

Caledon Ken, Feb 27, 2018
  10. Booms Win User
    Okay. Thanks. Will do that.

Booms, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Grey Screen

1. Grey Screen - Similar Threads - Grey Screen

2. Settings icon for screen projecting greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings icon for screen projecting greyed out: I’ve been attempting to project my windows computer screen on to my TV and can do so successfully. I want to attempt to change the settings of the projecting to put it into gaming mode, but the gear icon that is meant to be clickable at the top of the pinned bar is greyed-out...
  3. Settings icon for screen projecting greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings icon for screen projecting greyed out: I’ve been attempting to project my windows computer screen on to my TV and can do so successfully. I want to attempt to change the settings of the projecting to put it into gaming mode, but the gear icon that is meant to be clickable at the top of the pinned bar is greyed-out...
  4. Screen greyed out after entering Admin credentials remotely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen greyed out after entering Admin credentials remotely: Hello, I work for a company with about a thousand employees. As an IT service, we sometimes have to take over PCs remotely and sometimes adjust certain settings that have to be done as an admin. Sometimes it happens that after we enter our Admin credentials the screen remains...
  5. Screen greyed out after entering Admin credentials remotely

Screen greyed out after entering Admin credentials remotely: Hello, I work for a company with about a thousand employees. As an IT service, we sometimes have to take over PCs remotely and sometimes adjust certain settings that have to be done as an admin. Sometimes it happens that after we enter our Admin credentials the screen remains...
  6. Little grey dot on screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Little grey dot on screen?: Hi. there is a small dot on my left monitor only when im in the homescreen and it covers apps but not my cursor? I have a Asus ROG STRIX G16CH_G16CH prebuilt PC and have tried updating my drivers already uninsalled apps that may have been causing a problem? Photo is attached...
  7. Little grey dot on screen?

Little grey dot on screen?: Hi. there is a small dot on my left monitor only when im in the homescreen and it covers apps but not my cursor? I have a Asus ROG STRIX G16CH_G16CH prebuilt PC and have tried updating my drivers already uninsalled apps that may have been causing a problem? Photo is attached...
  8. Grey screen with black lines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grey screen with black lines: Recently, after I was done playing a game some odd black and grey lines had started to appear on my screen. I turned the pc off and back on again, and the problem still continued, in the very view times I had been able to boot back up, the only thing I was able to really do...
  9. Grey screen with black lines

Grey screen with black lines: Recently, after I was done playing a game some odd black and grey lines had started to appear on my screen. I turned the pc off and back on again, and the problem still continued, in the very view times I had been able to boot back up, the only thing I was able to really do...
  10. Little sound + Grey screen Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Little sound + Grey screen Windows 11: I was trying to fix my riot vanguard secure boot so I looked in my bios settings. A video told me to enable secure boot but it was already enabled. I didn’t change any settings but when I went to turn on the pc, it made the usual startup sound and then cut to a blackish-grey...