Windows 10: Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing

Discus and support Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Microsoft Windows 10 currently. Whenever I click on the Windows icon and begin typing something, the following happens: [ATTACH] This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Neha Zaidi, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing

I am using Microsoft Windows 10 currently. Whenever I click on the Windows icon and begin typing something, the following happens:

Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing 46786df3-d17b-4e2d-a576-c0c990370b8f?upload=true.png

This grey thing that covers the menu is very annoying. It goes away when I click on it, but sometimes, I unknowingly end up clicking some icon that is beneath this grey thing. Is there any way to fix this issue permanently? Would appreciate easy and quick solutions. Thank you.

:)

Neha Zaidi, Oct 25, 2020

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

Fix problems with the Start menu

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Oct 25, 2020
  4. #VSingh Win User

Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

I have tried till the troubleshooter and got this

"Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.

Now how do install these applications

#VSingh, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing

1. Grey Thing Covers the Menu When I Start Typing - Similar Threads - Grey Thing Covers

2. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search menu covering start menu: After I updated my windows the other day. I can no longer have access on my start menu. Whenever I hit the sortvut key the search menu will cover the start menu completely please help...
  3. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu covering start menu: After I updated my windows the other day. I can no longer have access on my start menu. Whenever I hit the sortvut key the search menu will cover the start menu completely please help...
  4. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search menu covering start menu.

Search menu covering start menu.: Hi there, After I updated my windows the other day, I can no longer accsess my start menu. When I either click the windows key on my keyboard, or press the button on the taskbar, the search menu opens at the same time and covers teh start menu. I have reinstalled my...
  6. Grey block covering start menu

Grey block covering start menu: Theres this weird block covering the start menu, I click it and it goes away, last I checked I havent downloaded any corrupted files, or messed with the system files. When I click it the little camera icon falls down too, making me think its a bug with a portion of the...
  7. Windows Search covering the start menu

in Cortana
    Windows Search covering the start menu: Whenever I open the Start Menu by either clicking the icon or pressing the Win key on the keyboard, the Start Menu shows up, but the menu is covered by the search window and I cant do anything using the start menu. I have attached a screenshot too. [ATTACH]...
  8. Search menu opens and covers everything when I click on Start menu.

in Cortana
    Search menu opens and covers everything when I click on Start menu.: Since last version of Windows 10 2004 the search menu pops up each time I click on start. I can not see any icon, application, shutting down the computer, etc. Everything is hidden behind the search menu. I have uninstalled GPU drivers, it's the same with another graphic...
  9. Start menu covered by search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu covered by search: [ATTACH] I would appreciate help with a problem I accidentally created. I decided to do this registry tweak https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-try-out-the-rounded-corners-ui-in-windows-10-version-1903-526546.shtml. After I restarted my computer the start menu was...
  10. Grey text on start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Grey text on start menu?: After latest cumulative update I notice loads of my start menu entries are written in grey. Most are white but there are quite a few in grey. They still seem to launch ok but this is very odd. Rebooting seems to return many of the text entries to white but then slowly more...