Windows 10: Grey X's on some NOT ALL folders on desktop

Discus and support Grey X's on some NOT ALL folders on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This seems to be a known issue across many Windows platforms: Vista, 7, 8, ... now in Ten. I am not running Norton or any other malware antivirus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RJL24, Jul 29, 2015.

1. RJL24 Win User

Grey X's on some NOT ALL folders on desktop

This seems to be a known issue across many Windows platforms: Vista, 7, 8, ... now in Ten.

I am not running Norton or any other malware antivirus (no threats from recent scan) other then Windows Defender. Been good so far all through WIN7 and 8.1.

The Greyed Xs (see attachment) showed up sometime after I updated to WIN10.

Files in X'd folders are accessible and none of the folders are shortcuts to other locations.
    All X'd folders are on my desktop. Desktop is used for active folders, projects more or less.

I use a networked WD My Cloud Mirror (MCM) for all my files (docs, music and videos), as well as backup.
    (Also use Genie Timeline 14 for backup of the WD MCM, connected to MCM va USB 3.0, just in case!)
    No X's on these folders.

How can I revert desktop folders to their normal look, that is without greyed X's?

Please be extremely detailed. Thanks in advance.

:)

RJL24, Jul 29, 2015

2. Overlay of desk top folder

Why the grey X on the desktop folders

KarenLLong, Jul 29, 2015
  3. LORRIE N Win User
    grey x's

Why do I have grey x's on my desktop icons

LORRIE N, Jul 29, 2015
  4. RJL24 Win User

Apparently the issue is related to Genie Timeline backup process.

When I right click on the folder and see the option to click "Remove from Backup" and I do so, the X disappears.
    The Genie warning indicates all backup will cease for and within this folder.

I'll have to decide how important these backups of these Work n Process folders are.

Problem is this procedure does not removes all X's from the X'd folders.

Some grey X's remain, and the option to Remove From Backup is not available.

MMMM. I will contact Genie.

Thanks for reading.

RJL24, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Grey X's on some NOT ALL folders on desktop - Similar Threads - Grey X's folders

2. grey x on files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    grey x on files: Hi Everyone, I have only recently got grey x across most of my files, both on the computer in my documents and in the backup on onedrive. The only way I now seem to be able to access these files is by logging in to onedrive through my web browser. Any iseas how to resolve...
  3. Photos with Grey X

Photos with Grey X: Most photos in the windows file "Photos" have a large grey X and it says it can't open. It was working before I did the last update 4 days ago. I didn't download a photo app, I am using the default that came with Windows 10. I transfer the photos from my phone. Now I have...
  4. Grey X on files

Grey X on files: I am way under my storage limit with Dropbox however my files in that are in my Dropbox accountI try and access via my Windows OS are locked. The same files are accessible on the web Dropbox.. Please help...
  5. Grey X on some files WIndows 10

Grey X on some files WIndows 10: After a recent update, some of files on desktop and on One Drive there is an 'X' at the bottom left of the file icons and am unable to open, copy, compress them. [ATTACH] As you can see some of them do not have the X on them and they can be accessed. This is the situation...
  6. Grey X on file

Grey X on file: Grey X on files and unable to access nor open them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grey-x-on-file/bc824301-d005-47a6-99e4-83e86c1f8083
  7. Grey X on all my files

Grey X on all my files: I have SSHD that has a C: Users/mobil/onedrive folder and all the files pictures, word docs, pdfs, ppts etc are all grey X'ed and will not open. I recovered the machine saving files and it did not correct the grey X's any help would b much appreciated....
  8. Some folders / files display a red X.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some folders / files display a red X.: Some folders display a red X. What are they and how can I remove them? 148704
  9. Grey X's next to all Icons on home screen

Grey X's next to all Icons on home screen: Grey X's next to all Icons on home screen- what does it mean and how to remove https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grey-xs-next-to-all-icons-on-home-screen/d54432df-e7dc-4566-873c-6e48e4bd0992"
  10. Apply to all folders greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Apply to all folders greyed out: Windows 10 pro installed and i am a little confused why the Apply to all folders is greyed out in the File Explorer options. for instance before in windows 7 pro i would maximize the Computer window and set it to details view then go to the Global Apply to all folders voila...