Windows 10: Greyed-out Diagnostics data / red "Some settings are..."

Discus and support Greyed-out Diagnostics data / red "Some settings are..." in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, Shawn! This is driving me nuts @ 3AM. I'd updated my x64 Win 10 to the 1709 fall update, and it started having problems I couldn't fix, so did an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bachware, Nov 30, 2017.

1. bachware Win User

Greyed-out Diagnostics data / red "Some settings are..."

Hi, Shawn! This is driving me nuts @ 3AM. I'd updated my x64 Win 10 to the 1709 fall update, and it started having problems I couldn't fix, so did an in-place of that ISO over it, and it's working fine except for what looks like WinUpdate-caused policy trouble. I'd set it to defer updating, can't get that reset, and don't see any "defer" entry now.

1. Windows Update has the red "Some settings are managed..." blurb on open. I can only enter Advanced once per session (after which it greys out as inaccessible), and if I click on the "Give me updates for other Microsoft Products" box the first time, it turns grey, not get a check, and I can't exit the screen with the back arrow, only by clicking the close box. Before trying to exit, the "Choose when updates are installed" only gives "Semi-annual channel". Looking at the "View configured update policies" screen, it says that "Allow updates to be downloaded automatically..." has been set, but I don't see it set in the group policy editor (everything's "not configured," but in Registry HKLM | S | M | PolicyManager | current | device | Update | AllowAutoUpdate = 2. I can't find documentation for what other values could be put there.

2. In Settings | Privacy | Feedback & Diagnostics, the Diagnostic Data area is greyed, so I can't select Full (Basic is force, and Enhanced is absent).

After the in-place, I had Windows Update problems to begin with, and Defender wouldn't update its anti-malware pattern, but the latter seems to work fine now, and guess I won't see any WUs 'til Dec. 11. How can I reset WU to the default settings, which I think'll fix #1. I think #2 might be related. Or, are there some policy settings I've overlooked, OR am I looking at a nasty bug in the fall release? I know how to get at stuff with Regedit, of course, so suggestions of hacking in there are welcome. I can send screen clips of anything you might want to see. Thanks for your input.

:)

bachware, Nov 30, 2017
  2. Jasonc126 Win User

Privacy Settings

In the privacy setting under feedback and diagnostics....the usage data option where it has full, enhanced, or basic is greyed out. At the top is says "some settings are managed by your organization" How do I fix this?

Jasonc126, Nov 30, 2017
  3. MrMikeH Win User
    Privacy Settings

Use regedit and go to the location

Then delete the key AllowTelemetry

This will change the option to Full, but will not fix it being greyed out.

I don't know how to change it to Enhanced.

MrMikeH, Nov 30, 2017
  4. bachware Win User

BTW, due to telemetry paranoia, I had AllowTelemetry entries in the Registry set to 0. They're all back to 1 now. My only disabled services are Remote Registry, Routing and Remote Access, and Smart Card (don't have one). Here's a clip of the Update key in Policy Manager\current\device:

Greyed-out Diagnostics data / red "Some settings are..." [​IMG]

bachware, Nov 30, 2017
  5. bachware Win User
    I finally solved this, with the new Windows Update Troubleshooter downloaded from MS. First I reverted my system to an image from November 25, and ran the troubleshooter. It's deceptive, for it said “Checking for pending restart” and seemed to freeze, but I saw that the HDD LED was flashing furiously, so decided to got to bed and let it run overnight, and in the morning it reported that there were pending updates. I rebooted and ran WU, which flawlessly updated everything. The grey “Advanced | Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows” turned blue with a white check mark, and the greyed-out Pause Updates is back to normal. Whatever was damaged seems to have been repaired completely. I see no strange behavior in any of the Windows Update areas. So, I ran backup to create a new image to fall back on, if something clobbers WU again.

bachware, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Greyed-out Diagnostics data / red "Some settings are..." - Similar Threads - Greyed Diagnostics data

2. Diagnostics and data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnostics and data: Why are my settings for Diagnostics and Data greyed out. I am the only person using this computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-and-data/3062f3a9-5fca-4633-a43b-ee79ca9bff14
  3. diagnostic data windows 10 greyed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    diagnostic data windows 10 greyed out: Hi so for some reason all diagnostic data settings are greyed out how do i fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-data-windows-10-greyed-out/0fe73547-adea-44ac-8868-c2276bb22a12
  4. diagnostic data windows 10 greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    diagnostic data windows 10 greyed out: Hi so for some reason all diagnostic data settings are greyed out how do i fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-data-windows-10-greyed-out/0fe73547-adea-44ac-8868-c2276bb22a12
  5. diagnostic data windows 10 greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Diagnostics data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnostics data: Hello!I bought my pc 8 months agoits not school computer,and I can't put this to send full diagnostics data,is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-data/aefb85d2-03f5-4443-9a3d-986b0f1da574
  7. optional diagnostic data greyed out

optional diagnostic data greyed out: i cant press it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optional-diagnostic-data-greyed-out/37c0c435-28eb-4bf2-993c-c4e3aa07a1b6
  8. Optional diagnostic data greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Optional diagnostic data greyed out: So I was trying to turn on the optional diagnostic data on windows 10 but for some reason it seems to have been greyed out can someone help? I was doing this to get windows 11 and my computer is compatible and meets the requirements for windows 11 so I don't think that is...
  9. Optional Diagnostic Data is greyed out

Optional Diagnostic Data is greyed out: Hello, yes as you can see my optional diagnostic data is greyed out, i want to turn on windows insider preview cuz i want to try 21H1, but i cant turn it on, and i have been browsing for almost hour, and they told me to start Connected User Experience and Telemetry, i check...
  10. "Some of these settings are hidden or menaged by your organization" in diagnostic data

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Some of these settings are hidden or menaged by your organization" in diagnostic data: Hello, I wanted to change diagnostic data to optional, because it's required to join Windows Insider Program, but I can't do it. The message says this setting is hidden by my organization. The point is, I'm not part of any organization. This is a personal laptop. I tried...