Windows 10: Groove and Media Player not playing music / not recognising audio formats M-Audio M-Track...

Discus and support Groove and Media Player not playing music / not recognising audio formats M-Audio M-Track... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Posted on 25 Dec 2019 Device: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0xxx OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 10.0.18363 BACKGROUND: Purchased brand new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoshJ_ZA, Dec 26, 2019.

1. JoshJ_ZA Win User

Groove and Media Player not playing music / not recognising audio formats M-Audio M-Track...

Posted on 25 Dec 2019

Device: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 17-cd0xxx

BACKGROUND:

Purchased brand new laptop on 24 Dec 2019. It came with Windows 10 Home, and I upgraded it to Pro on the same day via Win10's settings Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation. After it upgraded, I started installing some basic necessities drivers for my hardware. I'm an amateur music producer and a pair of M-Audio BX5 Studio Monitors speakers along with an M-Audio M-Track 2x2 C-Series Audio Interface. I'd like to note that the speakers as well as the audio interface are powered independently from the laptop.

Before even connecting my laptop to the audio interface and speakers, I downloaded the official latest driver M-Audio M-Track 2X2 1.0.12. m-audio.com/support/drivers-search, installed it and then connected my laptop. Note that all my music mostly *.mp3 files is stored on an external HDD also independently powered from the laptop. After installing the drivers and connecting my laptop, I immediately enabled the M-Audio driver.

I opened up Groove for the first time and it started building its database from the appropriate directory which I pointed it to under its settings. It detected and loaded all the audio files perfectly but upon trying to play any of them from within groove as well as directly from the file it refused to play them and gave an error stating that the formats were unsupported or unrecognised. The same happened for Windows Media Player. So, here my attempts at fixing the problem began.

FAILED ATTEMPTS AT FIXING:

1 Reset and terminated Groove through its app settings Right Click Windows Start Icon -> Apps & Features -> Click Groove Music -> Advanced Options. Didn't work.

2 Uninstalled Groove through its app settings and then reinstalled it via Microsoft Store. Didn't work.

3 Updated all audio drivers through Device Manager Right Click Windows Start Icon -> Device Manager -> Expand Sound, video and game controllers -> Right Click driver -> Update Driver; Restarted. Didn't work.

REALISING PROBLEM:

After the aforementioned, I tried playing music in VLC videolan.org/vlc/download-windows and the files did play, but no music came out of the speakers, so I switched to the laptop's default/pre-installed Realtek drivers click on speaker icon at bottom right of taskbar and Groove, WMP and VLC all worked 100%. I realised there were problems with the M-Audio driver.

SOLUTION - FIXING THE PROBLEM:

I uninstalled the M-Audio driver which I manually installed, and Windows immediately automatically configured the M-Track 2x2 Audio Interface. I enabled the M-Audio driver again and then everything worked 100%; there were no more problems with Groove or WMP. Afterwards, I reinstalled the driver using M-Audio's official installer, and everything still worked.

TL;DR

Update and test your drivers! If that doesn't work, uninstall them and let Windows 10 automatically configure them!

:)

JoshJ_ZA, Dec 26, 2019
  2. vlad Win User

only media player and groove music dont play audio

only media player and groove music don't play audio, other apps play mp3 and wav.
    ( MP and MG plays noises *Sad )

how i fix this ?

i have IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

3. Helmut Win User
    Audio CD's not playing

You seem to have a missing entry in the features list, there should be a + with Windows Media Player tick box. Unless you have some corporate version of Windows 10 with restrictions of some sort.

It is your Media player that does not play Audio CDs, these are Data discs not files.

Mine shows correctly as in post #9 that is how File Explorer represents those CD Audio data Tracks with WMP as default.

On my Laptop, with 5 listed Music players.
    Windows Media Player, IrfanView(with plugins) plays the Audio CDs, but not VLC Player(apps version), Toshiba Media Player, Groove Music.

I don't have iTunes. That you will have to check.

Groove Music is in the MS Store(free as you would expect), should be showing as Installed, but of no use in this case.

Helmut, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Tzon Win User

Groove and Media Player not playing music / not recognising audio formats M-Audio M-Track...

Groove Music won't play audio CD with .cda format files.

Why won't Groove Music play files from audio CD?

I just inserted an audio CD. It appears as an audio disc in Windows Explorer with CDFS format. The only option is to "Open". When I open the disc to view its contents I see several .cda files.

Groove Music is not linked with this file type although it is my default music player. Moreover, I cannot figure a way to associate this file type with Groove. When I click "open with" I can't find the application on the list and I cannot browse to the app's
    .exe because it is hidden and restricted.

I thought Groove was here to replace media player and the need of installing third party programs. Am I missing something?

Thema:

1. Groove and Media Player not playing music / not recognising audio formats M-Audio M-Track... - Similar Threads - Groove Media Player

2. M-AUDIO M-TRACK SOLO IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AS A DEVICE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M-AUDIO M-TRACK SOLO IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AS A DEVICE: I am having the exact problem that M-Audio M-Track 2x2 Not Recognized by my computer. - Microsoft Community this person is having, I don't know what to do. I've done everything both people have recommended, and nothing seems to work. I am currently using the HP STREAM laptop...
  3. M-AUDIO M-TRACK SOLO IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AS A DEVICE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M-AUDIO M-TRACK SOLO IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AS A DEVICE: I am having the exact problem that M-Audio M-Track 2x2 Not Recognized by my computer. - Microsoft Community this person is having, I don't know what to do. I've done everything both people have recommended, and nothing seems to work. I am currently using the HP STREAM laptop...
  4. M-Audio M-Track Sound Card Input Un-recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M-Audio M-Track Sound Card Input Un-recognized: Hello,My M-Audio 2x2 Sound Card Drivers are installed & Functioning in my Music Softwares no problem with that.My issue is that the Card is showing in my PC Sound Output Devices like shown in the picture belowBut the M-Audio 2x2 Device is not showing in the Sound Input Device...
  5. m-audio m-track solo cuts off when opening a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    m-audio m-track solo cuts off when opening a game: m-audio m-track solowindows 10 64 bitpsu 550 watti have this problem where my mic would suddenly cuts offbut its not like audio interface suddenly disconnected from the pcbut its like the mic just cuts off from the pc when i open a gamethe output still works so I don't think...
  6. No audio will play without Groove Music

No audio will play without Groove Music: No audio will play from the computer speakers from any application unless a track is also playing in Groove Music. One I start a track in groove music audio from any other application will suddenly play. Once the audio is going I can turn off groove music and the audio will...
  7. M Track 2×2 audio interface

M Track 2×2 audio interface: Anytime I'm working with my m track 2 x 2, it will just stop working and there's nothing I can do about it unless I unplug the power cable and plug it back again. Please help me solve this because it's killing me as slowing down my work....
  8. M-Audio M-Track 2x2 Not Recognized by my computer.

M-Audio M-Track 2x2 Not Recognized by my computer.: My M-Audio M-Track 2x2 audio interface worked perfectly fine and I never had any problems with it. Today suddenly out of nowhere while I was gone from my room for one hour with my computer still on something must've happened on it's own and now it's not being recognized at...
  9. media player 'groove music'

media player 'groove music': hello. I've downloaded 5 audio tracks (MP3). I can turn on the loop for each track but how do I get it to play each track one after the other and then loop back to track one? 36644
  10. only media player and groove music dont play audio

only media player and groove music dont play audio: only media player and groove music don't play audio, other apps play mp3 and wav. ( MP and MG plays noises *Sad ) how i fix this ? i have IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 12900