Windows 10: Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably)

Discus and support Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Groove Music - the default music app in windows 10 is behaving a bit weird lately. So, the symptoms are as follows: when I add a series of mp3s in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KindaGivingUp, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably)

Groove Music - the default music app in windows 10 is behaving a bit weird lately.
    So, the symptoms are as follows: when I add a series of mp3s in my folder, which is set as default music location in Groove Music, the files aren't being added. Granted, since forever this app behaved in a manner that you had to wait a few seconds, perhaps a minute, to add the new files - the refresh of the library wasn't instant. but now it just doesn't refresh the library anymore. Or it does, after a few hours.

So I investigated a bit and found out that I have to manually rebuild indexes (using this option: http://www.winbeta.org/sites/default...?itok=AXFIURoi), in order to get the new music into groove music. This seems absurd, since it never happened before.

What are your suggestions? What's going on, what's wrong?

:)

KindaGivingUp, Dec 26, 2015
  2. Geoffc1 Win User

Groove (version 3.6.1210.0) Keeps Losing My Album Collection!

Microsoft has released a new version of Groove (version 3.6.1210.0), and this keeps losing my entire album collection, and trying to rebuild it in a never-ending cycle.

I have 1,000+ albums stored on a Windows Home Server system, and four Windows PCs (desktop, laptop, a Windows Tablet and a Surface 3) all running Groove connected to it, with the root music folder on the WHS2011 system defined as a library (and hence defined
    as a watched folder within Groove).

Now that all the instances of Groove have been updated to version 3.6.12.10.0, what will happen is that when I'm viewing my Albums, the albums will suddenly disappear, Groove will say there are zero albums available offline, and display the "Get some music"
    message. After some time (30 minutes?), or a restart of the app, Groove will start reindexing the music folders and albums will start appearing. This goes on (slowly!) until all the albums have been scanned from the WHS2011 folders, at which point they will
    all suddenly disappear again and the process starts over.

This is happening on three all four of the PCs. Interestingly, the Surface 3 is not losing the albums. However, it's also not displaying the correct number of albums held in my music library. I have 1,103 albums in my collection; according
    to Groove on the Surface 3, I only have 1,084. I suspect that this instance of Groove isn't actually watching my watched folders...

Edit: I deleted the database within Groove on the Surface 3, to force it to rebuild its index. And now it is behaving the same as the other instances of Groove - it loses the albums, rebuilds the index, loses them again - in a never-ending cycle...

The 3.6.12.10.0 version of Groove is also not always displaying the "Adding music" notification when music is being added. Is this change in behaviour expected?

I feel that Microsoft is not testing this app sufficiently well; does anyone on the testing team bother to test it with a library held on a Windows Home Server 2011 system?

I don't mind being a beta tester when software is in beta; but Windows 10 and the Microsoft apps are now released. Groove is still not fit for purpose.

I have also sent this information in as feedback.

Geoffc1, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Playing music with Cortana

You should be able to add index locations from external drives just fine in Control Panel>Indexing options..

I've often done it.

Just make sure the drive and the music files are set to have their contents indexed too.. As I mentioned above.

Edit:

Ok I just cut and pasted an album on to a usb drive and added it to groove, and cortana found and played it immediately, no problem.. so Yes..

I'm assuming it needs to be added to groove and have it's contents ALLOWED to be indexed.. it doesn't necessarily have to be added to the Windows index locations.. if that makes sense..

It's like, when Cortana finds the music in Groove, it then uses the indexed content (album artist etc) to distinguish and play songs.

joeo sullivan, Dec 26, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably)

Hi, just takes a second for Groove to respond to copying them into the only folder (default) it 'watches' for me.. Have you checked it's actually watching the folder into which you're copying mp3's?

For comparison, you could check how quickly after you copy a file into a folder that is an indexed location from one that is not is found by Cortana, 'My stuff'. That should tell you whether indexing is actually working. (And you can watch the index being updated, of course).

dalchina, Dec 26, 2015
  5. thanks for your response!

Yes, the folder where I copy mp3s is being watched. If I do index rebuild, I immediately see the added folders in Groove Music, otherwise I don't.

I'm afraid I don't understand exactly the second part of the response. How do I achieve this? Watching indexes being updated and all?

KindaGivingUp, Dec 26, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so you want to know, in general, if indexing (automatic) is actually working.
    Cortana search (My Stuff) uses indexed locations only (hmm!).
    So move sthg new into your indexed folders (note.. you need to know your indexed locations).
    Quickly click in Cortana's search box and type what you want to search for.
    Then click 'My Stuff' above the search box to search.

The other idea is simply to
    - watch the indexing progressing, where you set the indexed locations. (Control Panel, Indexing Options)
    - then move sthg new into your indexed folders (note.. you need to know your indexed locations).
    - hopefully you will see the number of items indexed increase.

dalchina, Dec 26, 2015
  7. OK, done. It works. I created a file named "test2.txt" and placed it in some folder that is not being indexed - Cortana doesn't find it. Then I place it in that folder where I store my mp3s and Cortana finds it immediately. I'd like to exclude the issues with indexing, but rebuilding indexes always works with Groove Music... any other ideas I can check out?

KindaGivingUp, Dec 27, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Strange- so it seems indexing is working, it can't be an inappropriate or non-recognised file or file type 'cos it's picked up after manual indexing.

You could obviously repeat what you've done with an mp3, for example: if Cortana finds the mp3, and Groove doesn't.. well.. hard to imagine what's going on.

So, try re-registering Groove, and if that doesn't work, uninstall it and reinstall it.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-reg...ows-store-apps

Uninstall Groove Music:
    Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

or-

Step 1. First of all, download and install CCleaner for Windows 10. And then click on Tools and then click Uninstall tab to view all installed apps.

Step 2. Now right-click on Groove Music app, click Uninstall, and then click OK for confirmation to uninstall the Groove Music.

Reinstall:
    Step 3.
    Reinstall: launch the Windows 10 Store.

Step 4. Now in the Store app, type Groove Music in the search box to see Groove Music in search results. Click on it.

Step 5. Click Install button. If the store is showing that the app is installed msg instead of Install button, close the Store app once and run it again.

Step 6. That’s it! Now clicking install button will download and install the Groove Music app on your Windows 10 PC.

dalchina, Dec 27, 2015
  9. unfortunately, I did that already before joining this forum - reinstalled Groove Music via powershell, also did a refresh (Groove Music Library Refresh : Surface). In all fairness, it behaves weird: sometimes, it immediately recognizes the changes, sometimes it does not at all and I need to do a manual rebuild of indexes. There's no real pattern.

KindaGivingUp, Dec 27, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Well, unless there's other experience of the same sort of problem, either turn to a different media player or try an in-place upgrade reinstall- which would seem like a sledgehammer approach..

dalchina, Dec 27, 2015
  11. OK now it didn't work again... so what I did, I went to the "indexing options", selected "modify" then looked for the newly added folder. It was there - checked - as if it was already indexed. Then I've UNCHECKED the newly added folder of mp3s, and checked it again. Clicked OK, and Groove Music started to update the library and added the new folder. Something must be seriously wrong. As if indexing is not being made real time - but when I tried your idea to create a new .txt file, it was found immediately

KindaGivingUp, Dec 28, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, commendable persistence... (I've just fixed a significant search problem where Index Locations had vanished from the control panel). No accountable reason. But it happened to people with Win 7- which is where I got my solution, having understood basically what was missing).

Under Index Locations, click Advanced, check that mp3 is ticked (all should be by default) and Index Properties Only.

dalchina, Dec 28, 2015
  13. Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably)

Thanks again. Every setting is as you've mentioned: mp3 is checked, index properties only is selected.

KindaGivingUp, Dec 29, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ok, now we need to determine:
    1. is your mp3 file ever indexed
    2. is it indexed after a delay
    3. if it is delayed, why?

So
    1. display task manager, noting the idle CPU usage
    2. also open Indexing Options (Control Panel, Indexing Options).
    Note the number of files indexing; check indexing is complete.
    3. move a new mp3 file into an indexed folder.
    4. Observe Indexing Options and how long it takes for the mp3 to be indexed, meanwhile noting CPU usage in the task manager.

As you know, indexing is delayed until Windows deems conditions are quiet enough.

Have you tried Troubleshooting there?

dalchina, Dec 29, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Here's a different though pinched from another thread:
    This is for windows 7, but it applies to windows 10 too:
    It might be because of the security settings for that folder. For a folder and its content to be indexed, it must be configured with the System permission. Most folders already have this, but there are some cases where a folder might be missing theSystem permission.
    To add the System permission to a folder

• Right-click the folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    • If you don't see System listed under Group or user names, click Edit.
    • Click Add, type System in the box that appears, and then click Check Names.
    • Under Matching names, click System, and then click OK until all of the open dialog boxes you've opened are closed.

... how relevant this is I don't know, 'cos you say the file is indexed eventually.

dalchina, Dec 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Groove music - i'm losing my mind! (indexing problem - probably) - Similar Threads - Groove music i'm

2. I'm going to lose my mind with the updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm going to lose my mind with the updates: [ATTACH] I have the 1607 version and I want to upgrade to the latest one so I can use the power toys, but when the time comes, my pc freezes between 17% and 15%. I don't know what to do anymore, please help :( I had to pull the cable to get it out submitted by...
  3. music media and groove problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    music media and groove problem: I had personal music files on media player. But media can't find them. Groove player has uploaded them to their player. I can play them all right on groove, but I needed to back them up and groove won't let you burn, or sync. I have a windows 7 media player downloaded on...
  4. Problem with Groove Music App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Groove Music App: Hello, I have where when I launch Groove Music App its showing up for a few seconds then close by itself. So I tried Reinstall it but the problem still same. What have I tried : 1. Uninstall from Setting > apps > groove music > advanced Options > uninstall then I reinstall...
  5. GROOVE MUSIC CRASH PROBLEM

GROOVE MUSIC CRASH PROBLEM: hi everyone i use groove music app for 4 years it was great until the last update it became weird when i click right click on any song or try more actions or try to add song to playlist it just crashes and end program i tried to reinstall with nothing changed somebody help...
  6. Problem Groove Music

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem Groove Music: I want to change my wallapaper automatically when playing music groove but I have tried many times to turn off and turn on the setting of the wallper on the music groove but there is no change to my wallpaper please the solution....
  7. groove music

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    groove music: hello, I cant download groove music on my laptop from Microsoft store it says "something unexpected happened error code 0x80004005" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/groove-music/955f8853-cc70-4914-8048-1fa918022a0f"
  8. Groove Music problem

Groove Music problem: Groove Music suddenly opened on my tablet (Windows10) while I had an ebook app open. I closed the window but the window kept reopening after a few seconds. I tried to uninstall Groove Music: System > Apps & Features, down to Groove Music – "Uninstall" was dimmed. Opened...
  9. Groove music problems

Groove music problems: Have a free trial of Groove on my Win 10 desktop and wonder why it does not always play continuously even tho repeat all is turned on? Please advise. 61105
  10. Groove Music

Groove Music: Does anyone else think this app is a POS, or am I doing something that makes it seem that way? Every time I open it, it starts to load all my 1000's of songs on my computer and I can't find a way to clear songs from it or stop it loading. I'm also trying to find a way to edit...