Windows 10: Group By Date in Folders as the Default

Discus and support Group By Date in Folders as the Default in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is my formal complaint about the awful default setting to group by date in folders. It is seriously just a less useful and more annoying way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BenAlfveby, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Group By Date in Folders as the Default

This is my formal complaint about the awful default setting to group by date in folders.

It is seriously just a less useful and more annoying way to sort by column.

Why in the world would I want to default be sorted and group by date? What does that accomplish? Other than making navigation more clunky, anyway.

And the fact that the Save As and Attach explorer windows don't even follow the standard Folder View settings is crazy.

It's a bad feature and it should be default disabled.

:)

BenAlfveby, Aug 10, 2020

2. how can i add and fix to sort ( date modified ) by default

Hi,

Apologies for that please follow the below for setting Date Modified to appear in folders as default.

On your desktop, click the Windows Explorer icon to launch it or press Windows key + E.

Navigate to any folder of your choice whose files you want to degroup.

Click “View” at the top left to access the View tab.

In the View tab in the Current View group, click the Group By dropdown arrow to reveal a list of selectable attributes.

Select “Date Modified” from the list.

Step 2:

Click on View in Explorer ribbon > Options > Change folder and search options to bring up the Folder Options properties.

Step 3:

Switch to the View tab.

Step 4:

Click Apply to Folders button, followed by Yes.

Step 5:

Click Apply > OK.

Let me know the status after performing the above.

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Aug 10, 2020
  3. Grouping pictures by month or actual date in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps for sorting the pictures in date wise and check if it helps.

• Go to “file explorer” and open it.
    • Right click on the picture screen.
    • Click on “group by” option and go to more options.
    • Check the box “Date” and click on “Ok”
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Group By Date in Folders as the Default

how can i add and fix to sort ( date modified ) by default

would you please show me a video or gif showing that ?

Default_315, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Group By Date in Folders as the Default

1. Group By Date in Folders as the Default - Similar Threads - Group Date Folders

2. Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Pro file explorer constantly defaulting to grouping by date - how to disable grouping: Hello,Recently I have been finding that some of my folders on Win11 Pro for one constant example, my Downloads folder keeps defaulting to grouping the folders by date. This even happens when I am going through the process of saving a file from various programs like when...
  3. group by date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    group by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the group by date setting ,no longer groups them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  4. group by date

group by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the group by date setting ,no longer groups them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  5. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  6. Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default group permissions for ProgramData folder?: Can someone list the default permissions for the C:\ProgramData\ folder for the following groups?- CREATOR OWNER- SYSTEM- Administrators- UsersThanks!...
  7. Downloads folder shows group by date - no choice in group by menu for NONE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads folder shows group by date - no choice in group by menu for NONE: My downloads folder and other folders when using a save as shows files grouped by dates - I prefer just a plan list in which I can select a sort by clicking on the columns. The instructions for changing this state to right-click on the white space, then select group by then...
  8. Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Downloads folder keeps resetting to group by date: Same issue posted here but I can't comment because it's "archived". The old post says it happened last year, but for me it has been going on for the past 2-3 months only. My normal layout for this folder is : no grouping, detailed view, added "creation date column" and sort...
  9. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified: Since the Windows update in June, my Downloads folder is grouping by date modified. I have changed this in File Explorer, but I can't see how to change it when I am saving a file. For instance, if I download an update or a new app, I usually save it to a folder in...
  10. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely: On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the Downloads folder, I have a fairly elaborate folder setup in there and "grouped by date" means I cannot find anything any more. I...