Windows 10: Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups

Discus and support Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Taskbar groups is a new open source program for Microsoft Windows devices to create groups of icons on the taskbar. The main idea of the program is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 21, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups

Taskbar groups is a new open source program for Microsoft Windows devices to create groups of icons on the taskbar. The main idea of the program is to bundle multiple shortcuts on the taskbar to save space on it. While that may not be required on large resolution systems, it may still make sense on these for productivity purposes.

First thing you need to do is download the latest version of Taskbar groups from the project's GitHub website. You find the source code files on the project site as well in case you want to check it out or compile the program from scratch.

Extract the Taskbar groups archive once it has been downloaded and run the executable file that it contains from the folder the contents got extracted to.

Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups taskbar-groups.png

The interface is basic and simple to use. Select the "add taskbar group" option to create a new group for the taskbar.

You may name the group and set a group icon for it. All that is left to do then is to add program shortcuts to the group. The process is a bit complicated as you need to select exe file types as these are the only ones supported by the program. Use the file browser to pick the executable files from the system, e.g. portable programs, to add them to the group.

An option to select programs from the Start Menu or existing taskbar icons would be helpful; maybe that is coming in a future release.

Hit the save button once you have added the shortcuts to save the configuration. You may create additional groups and associate different shortcuts with these. All data is saved to the program folder; it may be a good idea to move the application to a secure place on the device to avoid deleting it and its configuration accidentally as all shortcut groups are deleted in this case.

The icons are not added to the taskbar automatically at this point. You need to left-click on the title in the program interface to open the new shortcut folder in Explorer. In Explorer, right-click on the folder and select the "pin to taskbar" option to add it to the taskbar.

Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups taskbar-groups-taskbar.png

A left-click on the new taskbar icon displays all available shortcuts, and you may launch programs individually with a click on the application icon.

Taskbar groups supports all taskbar layouts, e.g. on the side or top, and also multi-monitor setups.

What is the purpose of the program?

Taskbar groups has several purposes. Besides using it to bundle applications of the same kind, e.g. web browsers, image or video editing tools, or games, it may be helpful to bundle portable programs to the taskbar.

While you can ad individual portable programs to the taskbar, using a program that makes available a group may be usefult o some users.

Windows users who run low-resolution devices, e.g. a Surface Go device like I do, may also benefit from this as the taskbar has limited space on these devices.

Closing Words

Taskbar groups is a straightforward application that works well. It could use a number of usability improvements such as making it easier to add programs from the taskbar or Start to list, or adding an option to run all of the grouped programs with a click.

Now You: how many icons have you pinned to the taskbar? (via Deskmodder, Bleeping Computer)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 21, 2020
  2. flycaster Win User

Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

For some unknown reason-as usual, when I opened windows 10, my taskbar was blank. I had no idea of the method I used in the first place, but I knew I wanted to arrive at my original taskbar arrangement. However, after some trial and error trying at a fix and Google searching, I came across Andy's post (which was new to me.) I was in luck as his method was the perfect answer as I already had my taskbar groupings in file explorer; so, it was a simple matter to just follow his placement instructions. After placing the group icons into the taskbar, I did have to move the groups around and also move the icons within the groups to mimic my original ordering.

One of the benefits I noted was that the icons within the groups were "packed" closer together than if I had dragged shortcuts from file explorer and manually arranged them into groups. Due to the "packing," I now have 39 app and system icons in 6 groups and a nice sized space in the middle of the taskbar that shows minimized apps...all in one taskbar. Manually constructing the grouped taskbar would have required two taskbars! Great method, Andy, and thanks.

flycaster, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to explain more. I have various apps/programs pinned to the taskbar. I used to be able to drag an icon for a program (e.g., Excel), and drop it on top of another icon (e.g., Word). Then those two would be inside a single "group" icon. When I would hover over that group icon, the individual icons within it would appear just above the group icon, and I could click on one of them to open that program. For me it was a nice way to organize the taskbar, particularly since I had/have lots of icons on it.

John Nesmith, Dec 21, 2020
  4. llandyw Win User

Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

Here's how I do my grouping. I have a place where I have folders that I use for groups. I place the icons I want in the group into the folder.
    Then I add it to the task bar by right clicking on the taskbar, go to Toolbars and Add New. I select a folder.
    Then I right click on the new toolbar and tell it not to show a title or text. This just leaves the icons.
    I adjust the position and size (taskbar must not be set to locked to do this), and once all are where I want them, I lock the taskbar to hide the adjustment handles.

To add another icon, you can right click a portion where there's no icon, select Open Folder, then add another shortcut there. You'd have to readjust the size if you want all the icons to show.

I currently have 10 groups. My taskbar is 2 lines high, and set to auto hide.

Andy

llandyw, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups - Similar Threads - Group icons Taskbar

2. Weird taskbar grouping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird taskbar grouping: I am using a multiscreen setup on my surface pro 8 running windows 11.For some reason, the taskbar has started grouping some icons on the surface, where the taskbars on my other screens display "normally" with equal gaps.I find this very distracting and in fact unusable!! Is...
  3. Weird taskbar grouping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird taskbar grouping: I am using a multiscreen setup on my surface pro 8 running windows 11.For some reason, the taskbar has started grouping some icons on the surface, where the taskbars on my other screens display "normally" with equal gaps.I find this very distracting and in fact unusable!! Is...
  4. Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar: Does anyone know whether there is a way in Windows 11 never to group icons on the taskbar without having to install a third-party software? For example, if multiple files are open in Microsoft Word, I want all of them to be displayed as separate icons on the taskbar. Perhaps...
  5. Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar: Does anyone know whether there is a way in Windows 11 never to group icons on the taskbar without having to install a third-party software? For example, if multiple files are open in Microsoft Word, I want all of them to be displayed as separate icons on the taskbar. Perhaps...
  6. Adding group to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding group to Taskbar: Hello maybe wrong section but not sure where else to ask, does Windows 10 support adding a GROUP of apps to TaskBar (example a folder with multiple apps in it) like a communications folder with all my communications apps inside rather than have 10 apps all along bottom more...
  7. How to Group Taskbar Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Group Taskbar Icons in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, when you open multiple instances of the same application, notice how […] This article How to Group Taskbar Icons in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons: Hello: When I first upgraded to Windows 10, I started playing around with the taskbar. I found a way to manually "group" the icons I had previously pinned. For example, I could group various Office ions. (E.g., Word; Excel). I recall also having a group for...
  9. Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working...: A few days ago I posted a request on how to create spaces between my taskbar icons. I was successfully directed by Edwin (Solved Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? - Windows 10 Forums) to follow this excellent video (2016-04-29_1502 - Ficfel's library). But, not...
  10. Taskbar icons refuse to group

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icons refuse to group: Win10 pro 10240 Classic Start Menu Until recently the pinned icons and active programs would combine so that there was only one icon per program. Now the pinned icons and active ones are separate -- and filling up space. I checked the taskbar settings and it is set to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbargroups unhandled error