Windows 10: Group Policy and the Default Printer

Discus and support Group Policy and the Default Printer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Castelon, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Castelon Win User

Group Policy and the Default Printer

I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared.

I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such as "Fax" and "Microsoft Print to PDF", on the public computers. I created these entries in Computer Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and these entries have deleted the unneeded printers.

I simply want to use Group Policy to designate printer "a" as the default printer. I suppose that I should create an entry for "a" in User Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and use the "Update" action but I want to be sure.

How do I use Group Policy to designate a default printer?

:)

Castelon, Sep 26, 2019
  2. RCoon Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Group Policy and the Default Printer Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Sep 26, 2019
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    GROUP POLICIES IN WINDOWS 10

You can change Group Policies by opening Group Policy Editor first. You can open it by following these steps:

• Log in an administrator account. If you are already logged in as an administrator, proceed to step 2.
    • Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

After opening Group Policy Editor, you can now make the necessary changes that you want.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Sep 26, 2019
  4. Rhyseh Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

If the Domain Function level is 2008 why not simply use User Group Policy Preferences? You could then setup Item Level Targeting or location based GPO's to set different defaults depending on location. You could also place all the machines into a specific OU, configure Group Policy Loop Back processing and assign the GPO to the machine OU. This is generally how you configure group policy for terminal servers...

Using GPP to deploy printers:
    GP Preferences: Add a new printer, set as default

Group Policy Loopback Processing:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/231287

Item Level Targetting:
    Preference Item-Level Targeting

Here's a nice spiceworks article that outlines the process in more granular detail. It's probably not exactly how I would do it, but it should work just as well as any deployment method:
    Set the default printer via Group Policy

Rhyseh, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Group Policy and the Default Printer - Similar Threads - Group Policy Default

2. group policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    group policy: Not run edit group policy.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/ebcb26df-8243-4a75-ba90-bf27ce8c3b90
  3. group policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    group policy: Not run edit group policy.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/ebcb26df-8243-4a75-ba90-bf27ce8c3b90
  4. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  5. Reset Group Policy to Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Group Policy to Defaults: I am trying to reset the default group policies, Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy.When I run the dcgpofix /target:both with or without /ignoreschema I get the prompts "You are about to restore Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller...
  6. Group policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group policy: Event viewer error.Current job count for user KEN\kenst 60 is equal to or greater than job limit 50 specified through group policy.Increase per user, per computer through group policy.Tried search on internet, but no help.Can anyone tell me how to do this, simply, please?...
  7. group policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    group policy: On a fresh pc build the group policy list is enormous... none on my local pc with search function. Does this all look normal? No other pc on network atm. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/8b616836-4026-4a72-ab9d-deb040529ec1
  8. Group Policy for printer preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Group Policy for printer preferences: Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get...
  9. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy: Hello, I am trying to update/alter a group policy for my work network (20,000 endpoints) remotely through a distribution platform (BigFix). When I have tried to change GP through the registry it gets overwritten. What would be the easiest way to change GP on all endpoints...
  10. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy: Hello. I have just had a virus that disabled My Firewall through Group edit. Problem is, I don't have group edit. With the store being broken, its bad. Any suggestions. 43965