Windows 10: Group Policy Editor Error

Discus and support Group Policy Editor Error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 PC just updated itself to 1703. I have a script which used to run perfectly on Shutdown, but now it does not - I just get an empty black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeterAstle, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Group Policy Editor Error

My Windows 10 PC just updated itself to 1703.
    I have a script which used to run perfectly on Shutdown, but now it does not - I just get an empty black box and nothing happens. (The script still runs fine if executed manually)
    When I open the Group Policy Editor to investigate I receive the following error message:

Group Policy Editor Error [​IMG]

I click OK, the message box closes but then reappears.
    I click OK again and the message box closes (It reappears only when Group Policy Editor is opened again on another occasion)
    The editor then appears to be working.
    So there are two problems which may or may not be related.
    Any help appreciated.

:)

PeterAstle, Apr 24, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Some settings are managed by your organization

Microsoft error messages are not famous for being helpful.

"Some settings are managed by your organization" means that the setting you want to change is managed by a group policy. Unless you are able to change the group policy, you won't be able to change the setting.

Group policies were designed for corporate networks, where the organization - more likely, its IT department - decides what the policies will be. That's the "organization" that the message refers to.

Since group policies were intended for corporate networks, there isn't a group policy editor in the Home version of Windows. It exists only in the Professional, Enterprise and (I believe) Education versions.

Some group policies can be changed without the group policy editor by directly editing the Windows registry, which is a risky thing to do. Plus, you'd have to know which specific policy needs to change and what are the specific edits to make to the registry.

BulldogXX, Apr 24, 2017
  3. borate Win User
    Hide specific Event Viewer error

The window header here reads Local Group Policy Editor, not Group Policy Management Editor, and the APPLICATIONS tree is not shown.

Single user on this Windows 10 Pro PC. Thanks.

borate, Apr 24, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Group Policy Editor Error

spunk, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Many thanks for your assistance.
    By following the link you provided I have successfully eliminated the Group Policy Editor error message.

However the first problem remains - my script does not run correctly at Shutdown.
    This is all that I have done:

Group Policy Editor Error [​IMG]

This used to work fine before the 1703 update, but now when I shutdown, I simply see a tiny window (C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe) with nothing apparent happening. The window can be enlarged, but it contains nothing.
    I thought maybe the script was running and I could just not read what was happening (black text on black background I thought!) but when I try to edit the font and colours in the cmd window by going to the cmd window properties dialogue, I find the dialogue box is blank so I cannot proceed.
    I am rather baffled.
    I should add that none of the above happens when opening a command window at any other time than Shutdown. Everything is quite normal then.

PeterAstle, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Group Policy Editor Error

1. Group Policy Editor Error - Similar Threads - Group Policy Editor

2. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy Editor: So when I go into the group policy editor gpedit.msc my administration templates folder has nothing in it, I have done this in the cmd: regsvr32 gptext.dll and nothing changed. Please tell me how I can fix this problem....
  3. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy Editor: So when I go into the group policy editor gpedit.msc my administration templates folder has nothing in it, I have done this in the cmd: regsvr32 gptext.dll and nothing changed. Please tell me how I can fix this problem....
  4. Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Group Policy Editor

Group Policy Editor: It appears my Windows 10 [1909 OS Build 18363.1440] OS, either does not have or will give access to a Local Group Policy Editor. When I attempt to open the Group Policy Editor, from cmdline: gpedit.msc → NOT RECOGNIZED same in PowerShell. When I tried via search it gave me...
  6. Group Policy Editor Folders

Group Policy Editor Folders: I'm not sure if this is "kosher" for community rules, but this is the problem I'm having: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy-editor/37e25498-bfeb-4820-86be-146696cb56c2?auth=1. The thread is locked so I wanted to repost and see if anyone else...
  7. Group policy editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group policy editor: [ATTACH] when i write Gpedit.msc i get this and it's full of errors and I don't like the computer configuration section, I just came out but I don't know how I did it, that is, I don't know if it's my fault or not, I've already looked on the internet but I haven't found...
  8. Group Policy Editor

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Group Policy Editor: I've Win 10 Pro, I had group policy editor until I update to 1909. Now Windows says it can't find it. I don't want to have to use either a pin or a password when I restart the machine. I had that configured in 1809 but updating to 1909, hung, so a Windows Advisor reinstalled...
  9. Group Policy Editor

Group Policy Editor: I just reset my PC trying to fix a perceived problem within group policy editor. After reset, the issue persists. I don't know if it's called a folder or node or container but the name "Administrative Templates" is missing and clicking on ANY object within the unnamed folder...
  10. Group policy editor

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy editor: Hi, does windows 10 version 1903 remove access to group policy editor? Thank you. 138554