Windows 10: Group Policy for printer preferences

Discus and support Group Policy for printer preferences in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021.

1. Group Policy for printer preferences

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get unplugged, the printing preferences will revert to ones that don't work, likely because the printer has been assigned a new device ID. When that happens, we have to go into the admin account, take the other one out of kiosk and go into it, set the preferences and then go change it back to kiosk. While this isn't hard, it's long winded and irritating. I've been looking into setting a group policy to force the kiosk to use the preferences we set, no matter what happens. However since I'm new to group policies I'm hoping someone here can help me with where to look and what to change. Many thanks.

:)

Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021

2. Group Policy for printer preferences

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get unplugged, the printing preferences will revert to ones that don't work, likely because the printer has been assigned a new device ID.

When that happens, we have to go into the admin account, take the other one out of kiosk and go into it, set the preferences and then go change it back to kiosk. While this isn't hard, it's long winded and irritating.

I've been looking into setting a group policy to force the kiosk to use the preferences we set, no matter what happens. However since I'm new to group policies I'm hoping someone here can help me with where to look and what to change.

Many thanks.

Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021
  3. Castelon Win User
    Group Policy and the Default Printer

I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared.

I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such as "Fax" and "Microsoft Print to PDF", on the public computers. I created these entries in Computer Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and these entries have
    deleted the unneeded printers.

I simply want to use Group Policy to designate printer "a" as the default printer. I suppose that I should create an entry for "a" in User Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and use the "Update" action but I want to be sure.

How do I use Group Policy to designate a default printer?

Castelon, May 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Group Policy for printer preferences

Ok, I think you would need to handle that by means of a suitable script. I'm pretty sure Group Policies won't address details as fine and perhaps device specific as printer settings.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Group Policy for printer preferences - Similar Threads - Group Policy printer

2. group policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    group policy: Not run edit group policy.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/ebcb26df-8243-4a75-ba90-bf27ce8c3b90
  3. group policy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    group policy: Not run edit group policy.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/ebcb26df-8243-4a75-ba90-bf27ce8c3b90
  4. Group Policy Scheduled Task Preference Item Automation with Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy Scheduled Task Preference Item Automation with Powershell: Hello all, I'm trying to automate the creation of scheduled tasks within my domain without the use of group policy management gui/mmc.exe, and I am extremely close. I am running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter. I am manually creating a completely valid XML file at...
  5. Group Policy Scheduled Task Preference Item Automation with Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy Scheduled Task Preference Item Automation with Powershell: Hello all, I'm trying to automate the creation of scheduled tasks within my domain without the use of group policy management gui/mmc.exe, and I am extremely close. I am running Windows Server 2019 Datacenter. I am manually creating a completely valid XML file at...
  6. Group policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group policy: Event viewer error.Current job count for user KEN\kenst 60 is equal to or greater than job limit 50 specified through group policy.Increase per user, per computer through group policy.Tried search on internet, but no help.Can anyone tell me how to do this, simply, please?...
  7. group policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    group policy: On a fresh pc build the group policy list is enormous... none on my local pc with search function. Does this all look normal? No other pc on network atm. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy/8b616836-4026-4a72-ab9d-deb040529ec1
  8. Group Policy

Group Policy: Hello, I am trying to update/alter a group policy for my work network (20,000 endpoints) remotely through a distribution platform (BigFix). When I have tried to change GP through the registry it gets overwritten. What would be the easiest way to change GP on all endpoints...
  9. Group Policy and the Default Printer

Group Policy and the Default Printer: I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared. I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such...
  10. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy: Hello. I have just had a virus that disabled My Firewall through Group edit. Problem is, I don't have group edit. With the store being broken, its bad. Any suggestions. 43965