Windows 10: Group Policy for printer preferences

Discus and support Group Policy for printer preferences in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021.

1. Group Policy for printer preferences

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get unplugged, the printing preferences will revert to ones that don't work, likely because the printer has been assigned a new device ID. When that happens, we have to go into the admin account, take the other one out of kiosk and go into it, set the preferences and then go change it back to kiosk. While this isn't hard, it's long winded and irritating. I've been looking into setting a group policy to force the kiosk to use the preferences we set, no matter what happens. However since I'm new to group policies I'm hoping someone here can help me with where to look and what to change. Many thanks.

:)

Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021

2. Group Policy for printer preferences

Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so please move it if not. The tech side of my work have sent nearly 100 laptops out on site, all running Windows 10. Admin account for us and a Kiosk account for the end users. Occasionally when the printers on site get unplugged, the printing preferences will revert to ones that don't work, likely because the printer has been assigned a new device ID.

When that happens, we have to go into the admin account, take the other one out of kiosk and go into it, set the preferences and then go change it back to kiosk. While this isn't hard, it's long winded and irritating.

I've been looking into setting a group policy to force the kiosk to use the preferences we set, no matter what happens. However since I'm new to group policies I'm hoping someone here can help me with where to look and what to change.

Many thanks.

Oculus Rex, May 4, 2021
  3. Castelon Win User
    Group Policy and the Default Printer

I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared.

I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such as "Fax" and "Microsoft Print to PDF", on the public computers. I created these entries in Computer Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and these entries have
    deleted the unneeded printers.

I simply want to use Group Policy to designate printer "a" as the default printer. I suppose that I should create an entry for "a" in User Configuration-Preferences-Control Panel Settings-Printers and use the "Update" action but I want to be sure.

How do I use Group Policy to designate a default printer?

Castelon, May 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Group Policy for printer preferences

Ok, I think you would need to handle that by means of a suitable script. I'm pretty sure Group Policies won't address details as fine and perhaps device specific as printer settings.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Group Policy for printer preferences - Similar Threads - Group Policy printer

2. How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Mapping network drives using Group Policy preferences is flexible, provides easy control over who receives the drive mappings, and has easy-to-use user interfaces, all of […] This article How to map a Drive using Group Policy Preferences on Windows 10 first appeared...
  3. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy: Hello, I am trying to update/alter a group policy for my work network (20,000 endpoints) remotely through a distribution platform (BigFix). When I have tried to change GP through the registry it gets overwritten. What would be the easiest way to change GP on all endpoints...
  4. Group Policy and the Default Printer

Group Policy and the Default Printer: I work at a library and we have computers for our patrons. I have manually installed 2 local printers, "a" and "b", on these public computers. They both use LPT1 as their port and they are not shared. I have created entries in Group Policy to delete unneeded printers, such...
  5. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Group Policy: Is Notify For Download And Notify For Install still available? If not, should I change to Notify for Download and Auto Install or the other way around? 139897
  6. Group Policy

Group Policy: Hi, I have Windows 10 Home 1803. I need to install a software (Xprotect Essentials+) which fails with the message on enabling "specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" and WSUS in Group Policy. I figured that gpedit was missing, so I...
  7. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Group Policy: A user accidentally moved a group of domain computers out of the tree. In the mean time users started logging in. During this time the Group Policy was being pushed, but no users received it. Once the computers group was placed back in the tree and gpupdate enforced, all...
  8. Drives do not reconnect / Preferences missing from Group Policy Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives do not reconnect / Preferences missing from Group Policy Editor: Hello. Here is our situation: Network computers (all Win 10) have mapped shared drives. They lose connection when the computers reboot and we have to enter the admin password every time. Solution I thought we'd try: I read that going to the Group Policy and changing...
  9. Group policy :/

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy :/: Thanks to @topgundcp Update W-10 manually Which got me piddling around with the whole group/ user policy crap I have found to get rid of the silly lock screen at startup *Party Did think I got rid of some of the annoying web search from the search but seems the new...
  10. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy: Hello. I have just had a virus that disabled My Firewall through Group edit. Problem is, I don't have group edit. With the store being broken, its bad. Any suggestions. 43965