Windows 10: Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled?

Discus and support Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have a gpo setup to enforce interactive logon: smart card authentication on some of the computers in my domain. That works as it should.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tyler789, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Tyler789 Win User

Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled?

Hello,

I have a gpo setup to enforce interactive logon: smart card authentication on some of the computers in my domain. That works as it should. Group policy is applied to my group of computers and users are forced to insert their card and logon with their pin. No problem there.

Here is my question: It possible to leave that intact but allow a subset of admin accounts to be used normally username/password on those computers? Essentially I want to enforce smart cards but allow our admins to still elevate privileges normally without having to create them admin smart cards.

Thank you.

:)

Tyler789, Jun 29, 2020

2. windows 10 requires smart card for admin

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that the Windows 10 prompts Smart card for Administrator rights. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable the Interactive Smart card prompt and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Right click on Start menu and select
    Run.

2. Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security

Options.

4. Locate Interactive logon: Require smart card
    policy setting.

5. Double click on the Policy and select Disabled option.

6. Click on Apply and OK to save changes.

7. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the system.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled?

Disable smart card Surface LTE

Hi Jishua9,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

Please try the below suggested steps and let us know if it helps.

1. Right click on
      Start menu and select Run.
    2. Typegpedit.msc
      and press Enter.
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\SecurityOptions.
    4. LocateInteractive logon: Require smart card
      policy setting.
    5. Double click on the Policy and select
      Disabled option.
    6. Click onApply
      and OK to save changes.
    7. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not,
      restart the system.

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled?

1. Group Policy Interactive Logon smart card enforced with admin username and password enabled? - Similar Threads - Group Policy Interactive

2. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  3. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  4. We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and...: We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and enabling hello so when the user pulls the card it locks. The system works fine no issues for the most part. My question is im the admin and we have remote users. Is there any way to get...
  5. We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and...

We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and...: We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and enabling hello so when the user pulls the card it locks. The system works fine no issues for the most part. My question is im the admin and we have remote users. Is there any way to get...
  6. We are implementing on W2K10\11 machines MFA using interactive smart card card logons and...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon: Hello,I am having an issue with authenticating users in an air gapped network after a patch. Any users prior created in AD prior to May 2022, can still authenticate with the server. However, if I create a new test account and attach my X.509 to altSecurityID attribute, I get...
  8. Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon

Certificate/PKI/Smart Card Logon: Hello,I am having an issue with authenticating users in an air gapped network after a patch. Any users prior created in AD prior to May 2022, can still authenticate with the server. However, if I create a new test account and attach my X.509 to altSecurityID attribute, I get...
  9. Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smart Card Authentication and Cached Logons: Hello,Scenario:Windows 10 laptops are PIV Enforced Smart cards are required to log on to the OSUser has been remote for over a year COVIDVPN is split tunnelMany users are overseas with low bandwidth connectionMost work can be done without direct access to on-prem resources,...
  10. Need Smart Card default for login instead of Username and Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need Smart Card default for login instead of Username and Password: We are getting ready to migrate to WIN10 and trying to figure out if there is a way to force our WIN10 computers to default to smart card to log onto our computers. We use 8021x so no user name and password. Everyone has smart cards to log on. 91462