Windows 10: Group Policy service

Discus and support Group Policy service in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Command Prompt (Admin) does nothing. Well lets go back to post 6 and do that as whatever user you can. Open a command prompt and enter net user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016.

1. lx07 Win User

Group Policy service

Well lets go back to post 6 and do that as whatever user you can.

Open a command prompt and enter net user and then net user peter (or whatever your user id name is).

Post the results.

You may have a problem if you don't have an administrator user on your PC but lets not get ahead of ourselves yet ...

2. pmfturner Win User

Results are :-

C:\Users\Peter>net user peter
    User name Peter
    Full Name Peter Turner
    Comment
    User's comment
    Country/region code 000 (System Default)
    Account active Yes
    Account expires Never

Password last set 05/11/2015 17:27:55
    Password expires Never
    Password changeable 05/11/2015 17:27:55
    Password required Yes
    User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon Never

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
    Global Group memberships *None
    The command completed successfully.

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  3. lx07 Win User
    Your profile looks fine. I'm still with what @brummyfan said in the second post - you want to run sfc and dism.

Your Local Group Memberships shown in the picture above says *Administrators

Can you search for cmd and right click to run as administrator? Or does it fail somehow if you do? You should be able to as Peter is part of the Administrators group.

Like this...

Group Policy service [​IMG]

4. pmfturner Win User

Group Policy service

Right Clicking on the Command Prompt brings this up :-

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Peter>

Then keying in SFC /scannow now gives :-

C:\Users\Peter>sfc /scannow

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
    use the sfc utility.

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Yes but, do you have "Run as administrator" when you right click? Like in the picture above?

Sorry to repeat myself but that is the issue - you aren't running the command prompt as Administrator - hence the problem.

EDIT: There are another half a dozen ways other ways to open an Administrator cmd prompt described here Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If it works the window will say Administrator: Command Prompt at the top like this

6. pmfturner Win User
    Ok, have tried the 7 suggested methods of opening an elevated command prompt, as below, and variously :-

Either nothing happens when clicking on "Run as an administrator".

Task Manager will not open.

Right clicking on cmd.exe at C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe gives me the 'blue circle of doom' for 5 minutes, then comes up with 2 messages :
    - The service cannot accept control messages at this time, and
    - This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I'm sure I'm being stupid !

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    No, I don't think so.

You have explained clearly what is the problem (I'm sorry if I took you off on a tangent about authorities but no-one apart from me seems to care about that).

In any case you need to go through them one by one. You do what the tutorial says and you take a screen print.

You say: I have tried this tutorial and here are the results:

Option 1, first thing, this is the result (and here is the picture)
    Option 1, second thing, this is the result (and here is the picture)
    and so on

It is unreasonable to expect someone else to be able to help with your problem if it works for them (it works for me).

Absolutely I'll help (I've plenty of spare time) but only if I can add some value.

Best of luck, hali

8. pmfturner Win User

Group Policy service

Ok, I've tried the very first option :-

Option One: Open Elevated Command Prompt from Win+X Quick Link Menu

Having done this several times already with no result, the following message opens this time :-

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC ? Program location = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    Yes / No"

I have tried to run cmd.exe from this location before with no result, but having tried yet again, the same message as above appears - very puzzling to have two different results at different times.

Should I go for YES ?

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  9. JeffB Win User
    Are you seeing a box like this yes?

if so, click YES and then see what happens. If all goes well, you then can do sfc /scannow

JeffB, Feb 8, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Say Yes. Exactly this is the point.

After that YOU choose what to write in the command box.

Don't say Yes as a matter of habit, but in this case you should for sure.

11. pmfturner Win User
    Ok have done the following :-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Then

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

Everything appears to working as it should now - File Explorer, Task Manger, I can now access Command Prompt (Admin), etc, but I don't think I've actually changed anything. I've learnt quite a bit, and wasted a lot of your time on the forum, and now there seems to be nothing wrong. I am really not going mad, and there is an intermittent gremlin lurking somewhere, but am no nearer tracking it down.

Many thanks for your help.

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    You've not wasted time - it is in fact impossible to do that I think (you may disagree). What you have done is proved there is no corruption in your Windows system files (which is a good thing).

As for your problem, I guess you have to wait for it to happen again and then see if you can think what happened just before...

13. pmfturner Win User

Group Policy service

Thanks for your help - I've certainly learnt a bit more about Windows 10. One thing you can help me with, how do you take a screen dump when you're in what I would call a DOS screen, i.e. at the command prompt ?

pmfturner, Feb 9, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    You have 2 options.

First is to select all (Ctrl + A), Copy (Ctrl + C) and then paste (Ctrl +V). If you want to post it here you can put
    Code:
     <whatever text> 
    tags around it like this: Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping www.google.com Pinging www.google.com [216.58.212.100] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 216.58.212.100: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=55 Reply from 216.58.212.100: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55 Reply from 216.58.212.100: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55 Reply from 216.58.212.100: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55 Ping statistics for 216.58.212.100: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] .

The other option is to use Snipping Tool, click on New then Window Snip to get a picture like this:

You can upload pictures as described here Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

15. pmfturner Win User
    Ok, 2 weeks on and still some issues. On booting up this morning, again Task Manager/Elevated Command Prompt won't work, and the same issues in File Manager, such as not being able to copy or open files on right clicking. On booting up a week ago, no windows programs at all would work, including Edge, Word, Excel, Powerpoint programs etc and indeed "appeared" to have been deleted from my PC, although clearly not - just not 'visible' or useable.
    This ongoing issue appears to be related to start-up, when not all Windows 10 elements appear to operate.
    Any ideas anyone ?

pmfturner, Feb 23, 2016
Thema:

Group Policy service

1. Group Policy service - Similar Threads - Group Policy service

2. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: One of our staff members started getting an error on sign in. As soon as you enter her password the error: The group policy client service failed the sign-in. Access is denied pops up. I have tried doing a system restore and it works until updates run again....
  3. Edit group policy service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Edit group policy service: My win 10 home single Edit group policy service not found how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edit-group-policy-service/d3a76e77-7e9a-4146-80f8-068df14db86a
  4. Group Policy Client Services

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Group Policy Client Services: I have been locked out of logging on. This is the message I receive: The Group Policy Client service failed to sign in . Access Denied. How do I fix this?...
  5. The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in: Not sure whether this is related to the recent upgrade (yesterday jan 28 2016), but I restarted my PC after after the upgrade, all was OK, I switched it off and went home. Today after I swithed my PC on the following appeared: "The Group Policy Client Service failed the...
  6. Group policy client service - cant connect

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy client service - cant connect: Hi, I've been using my Windows 10 laptop (initially came with Win 8.0, upgraded to Win8.1 then to 10) and this after noon when I booted, Windows started OK, but when I try to log into my a/c I get the error Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service....
  7. group policy client service is stopped

in Windows 10 Support
    group policy client service is stopped: Symptons include the Settings > Update and Security Window freezes with a blank pane, and then disappears after a while (the time before disappearance varies.) Right clicks in File manager or any file related activity has long hang time, or may not recover. Chrome may fail...
  8. Windows failed to connect to a Group Policy Service

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows failed to connect to a Group Policy Service: When I turned on my Windows 10 Desktop PC this morning, it said it failed to connect to a Group Policy Service or something similar to that. Can someone help me out with this, please? This is my Desktop PC. It's a Acer Aspire XC603G Desktop. Thanks in advance! 41541
  9. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy: Hello. I have just had a virus that disabled My Firewall through Group edit. Problem is, I don't have group edit. With the store being broken, its bad. Any suggestions. 43965
  10. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: From a cold boot: it took 4-5 minutes. Disk was active, but not taking a dump (observed disk activity light). Got message "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in., The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." I just sat there with that message...