Windows 10: Group Policy service

Discus and support Group Policy service in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For about a week now, each time I boot up, I receive this message as a pop-up – “Failed to connect to a Windows Service. Windows couldn’t connect to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016.

1. pmfturner Win User

Group Policy service

For about a week now, each time I boot up, I receive this message as a pop-up – “Failed to connect to a Windows Service. Windows couldn’t connect to the Group Policy service.” I have problems using File Explorer, none of the options (such as Recovery) are available in Settings, Update & security, regedit won’t open etc. etc. Will re-installing Windows 10 solve the issues, or is there something more sinister afoot ?

:)

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016

2. Siging into microsoft account on local computer

To be clear - You created a new Local Account and were able to sign-in to it?

Check these methods :

The Group Policy Client Service Failed The Logon in Windows 10/8

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-group-policy-...

[FIX] The Group Policy Client Service Failed The Sign-in.

https://www.kapilarya.com/the-group-policy-clie...

Hopefully those will help you fix the issue and we are here if you need further assistance with this issue.

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 8, 2016
  3. disable Group Policy client service for Home versions without gpedit.exe?

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

The Group Policy Client (gpsvc) service is responsible for applying and enforcing computer settings set by an administrator using Group Policy. If the service is stopped or disabled, the settings will not be applied and applications and components
    will not be manageable through Group Policy. Any components or applications that depend on the Group Policy component might not be functional if the service is stopped or disabled.

Try to disable the Group Policy client service and check.

Follow the steps.

1. Press the Windows + R key from the keyboard and type "services.msc".

2. Search for Group Policy service and try to disable it.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Feb 8, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

Group Policy service

brummyfan, Feb 8, 2016
  5. pmfturner Win User
    I can open Command Prompt, but message saying I "must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the SFC facility" displays when I type sfc /scannow. Command Prompt (Admin) will not open. This is a home computer with me as the only user. Do I need to set myself up as an administrator ?

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Yes.

More specifically you need to have a user on your PC who is part of the Administrators group profile.

You don't need to sign on as this user all the time but if you don't have one (and know the password) you'll get stuck when you try to do anything like installing software.

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    What users have you got set up already?

If you can go to a command prompt and type in net user you should see something like this showing all users on your PC Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user User accounts for \\HALI-WIN10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hali Administrator DefaultAccount Guest Saloua Temp The command completed successfully. C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote]
    Then you can check accounts individually - type net user Hali for example: Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user Hali User name Hali Full Name Whatever the full name is Comment User's comment Country/region code 000 (System Default) Account active Yes Account expires Never Password last set 2/3/2016 9:54:16 AM Password expires Never Password changeable 2/3/2016 9:54:16 AM Password required No User may change password Yes Workstations allowed All Logon script User profile Home directory Last logon 2/8/2016 10:20:09 PM Logon hours allowed All Local Group Memberships *Administrators Global Group memberships *None The command completed successfully.[/quote]

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  8. pmfturner Win User

Group Policy service

Hmmm. I get the prompt C:\Users\Peter> and not C:\WINDOWS\system32>. Excuse my ignorance !

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    right click on cmd and select "run as administrator".

lx07, Feb 8, 2016
  10. pmfturner Win User
    Where do I find "CMD" that I right click on ?

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  11. brummyfan Win User
    Right click windows logo, click Command Prompt(Admin).

Group Policy service [​IMG]

brummyfan, Feb 8, 2016
  12. pmfturner Win User
    Command Prompt (Admin) doesn't work !

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

Group Policy service

When you run programs or run some other job in windows you can run them either under your own profile (Peter) or under some other.

If you open a cmd prompt (short for Command Prompt) as you it will start in C:\Users\Peter and will let you do things you are allowed to do.

If you open a Command Prompt (Admin) it will open in C:\Windows\System32 and will let you do things you are not allowed to do as Peter. Af course the user Peter will not be able to see them as he is not authorized.

Now, you could make the assumption it would be better to run everything as Admin (and lots of users coming from XP think that) but they miss the point. The reason that you are not automatically allowed to do anything you want (without right clicking or agreeing to a UAC prompt) is to reduce the risk of Malware also doing whatever it wants.

What do you mean? You can't see it or you click on it and it does nothing?

14. pmfturner Win User
    Command Prompt (Admin) does nothing.

pmfturner, Feb 8, 2016
  15. brummyfan Win User
    Thank you *Smile

brummyfan, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

Group Policy service

1. Group Policy service - Similar Threads - Group Policy service

2. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: One of our staff members started getting an error on sign in. As soon as you enter her password the error: The group policy client service failed the sign-in. Access is denied pops up. I have tried doing a system restore and it works until updates run again....
  3. Edit group policy service

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Edit group policy service: My win 10 home single Edit group policy service not found how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edit-group-policy-service/d3a76e77-7e9a-4146-80f8-068df14db86a
  4. Group Policy Client Services

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Group Policy Client Services: I have been locked out of logging on. This is the message I receive: The Group Policy Client service failed to sign in . Access Denied. How do I fix this?...
  5. The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The Group Policy Client Service failed the sign-in: Not sure whether this is related to the recent upgrade (yesterday jan 28 2016), but I restarted my PC after after the upgrade, all was OK, I switched it off and went home. Today after I swithed my PC on the following appeared: "The Group Policy Client Service failed the...
  6. Group policy client service - cant connect

in Windows 10 Support
    Group policy client service - cant connect: Hi, I've been using my Windows 10 laptop (initially came with Win 8.0, upgraded to Win8.1 then to 10) and this after noon when I booted, Windows started OK, but when I try to log into my a/c I get the error Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service....
  7. group policy client service is stopped

in Windows 10 Support
    group policy client service is stopped: Symptons include the Settings > Update and Security Window freezes with a blank pane, and then disappears after a while (the time before disappearance varies.) Right clicks in File manager or any file related activity has long hang time, or may not recover. Chrome may fail...
  8. Windows failed to connect to a Group Policy Service

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows failed to connect to a Group Policy Service: When I turned on my Windows 10 Desktop PC this morning, it said it failed to connect to a Group Policy Service or something similar to that. Can someone help me out with this, please? This is my Desktop PC. It's a Acer Aspire XC603G Desktop. Thanks in advance! 41541
  9. Group Policy

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy: Hello. I have just had a virus that disabled My Firewall through Group edit. Problem is, I don't have group edit. With the store being broken, its bad. Any suggestions. 43965
  10. Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in: From a cold boot: it took 4-5 minutes. Disk was active, but not taking a dump (observed disk activity light). Got message "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in., The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." I just sat there with that message...