Windows 10: Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working...

Discus and support Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A few days ago I posted a request on how to create spaces between my taskbar icons. I was successfully directed by Edwin (Solved Increase space between... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by flycaster, May 4, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working...

A few days ago I posted a request on how to create spaces between my taskbar icons. I was successfully directed by Edwin (Solved Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? - Windows 10 Forums) to follow this excellent video (2016-04-29_1502 - Ficfel's library). But, not being able to let well-enough alone, I decided to use this approach to group my icons into related group folders. For example, I made such folders as "Search," "Browsers," etc. to be placed in Documents with each folder holding shortcuts specific to the folders title. However, I have run into two problems that I need help with. Specifically, some of the shortcut icons no longer work when put into this new taskbar configuration, whereas they did work when used in the regular configuration.

1. Process Explorer now gives me an error message: " Unable to extract 64-bit image. Run Process Explorer from a writable directory." In fact, I now get the same error message when trying to run PE directly from Windows Explorer???

2. And of a more serious nature, I had first used Ficfel's video to successfully set up taskbar icons for Sleep, Restart and Shutdown using this for their shortcut setups (Shutdown - Restart shortcut Windows 10, how to create?). However, these icons no longer work after I finished with setting up my new group configurations...no error messages, just not responding???

EDIT: Computers are strange... I checked out the Documents folder "Taskbar-Power," which held the shortcuts for Sleep/Restart/Shutdown. They all worked when executed from the folder. So, I re-installed the group into the taskbar, and now they are working. Perhaps, just leaving them there when I started adding new groups of icons had something to do with their failure? However, Process Explorer still doesn't work under any circumstances.

:)

flycaster, May 4, 2016

2. drag and drop files onto Photoshop Icon to Launch

Yes this works the same in Windows. You can either drag the icons onto a PhotoShop shortcut (the shortcut needs to be on the desktop or in a folder, not the taskbar). Or you can start up PhotoShop first, then drag the group of files into its window to
    open them all up.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 4, 2016
  3. ddfourni Win User
    Blank icons in taskbar on Windows 2016

We have an application that installs a command prompt shortcut and several other shortcuts whose icons do not show properly in the taskbar on "Windows Server 2016 Standard" when they are launched. We have deleted and re-built the icon cache, but these
    icons do not display properly in the task bar. If I set "Combine taskbar buttons" to "Never" the appropriate icon will display, but whenever the buttons on the taskbar are combined, they always display the blank icon. Is there something specific we are supposed
    to register in order to change the "grouped" icon in Windows Server 2016? Any advice is appreciated.

ddfourni, May 4, 2016
  4. flycaster Win User

flycaster, May 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Grouped taskbar shortcut icons stopped working... - Similar Threads - Grouped taskbar shortcut

2. Shortcuts stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts stop working: The keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops are Ctrl+WinKey+right arrow and Ctrl+WinKey+left arrow. These shortcuts stop working after a while and only the WinKey appears to be recognized, so the open app is pinned to right or left. What can cause the keyboard combination to...
  3. Shortcuts stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts stop working: The keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops are Ctrl+WinKey+right arrow and Ctrl+WinKey+left arrow. These shortcuts stop working after a while and only the WinKey appears to be recognized, so the open app is pinned to right or left. What can cause the keyboard combination to...
  4. Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar: Does anyone know whether there is a way in Windows 11 never to group icons on the taskbar without having to install a third-party software? For example, if multiple files are open in Microsoft Word, I want all of them to be displayed as separate icons on the taskbar. Perhaps...
  5. Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Never Grouping Icons on the Taskbar: Does anyone know whether there is a way in Windows 11 never to group icons on the taskbar without having to install a third-party software? For example, if multiple files are open in Microsoft Word, I want all of them to be displayed as separate icons on the taskbar. Perhaps...
  6. Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups

in Windows 10 News
    Group icons on the Windows Taskbar with Taskbar groups: Taskbar groups is a new open source program for Microsoft Windows devices to create groups of icons on the taskbar. The main idea of the program is to bundle multiple shortcuts on the taskbar to save space on it. While that may not be required on large resolution systems, it...
  7. Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grouping Pinned Taskbar Icons: Hello: When I first upgraded to Windows 10, I started playing around with the taskbar. I found a way to manually "group" the icons I had previously pinned. For example, I could group various Office ions. (E.g., Word; Excel). I recall also having a group for...
  8. pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar: I have always had shortcuts pinned to my Firefox icon in my taskbar like windows 10 forum,the login for my work place, you tube,ETC.but the short cuts are gone on my windows 32 they are still on my win.64 ..When I drag a short to my win.32 Firefox Icon in taskbar it says pen...
  9. Taskbar icons refuse to group

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icons refuse to group: Win10 pro 10240 Classic Start Menu Until recently the pinned icons and active programs would combine so that there was only one icon per program. Now the pinned icons and active ones are separate -- and filling up space. I checked the taskbar settings and it is set to...
  10. Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcut icons disappeared: After checking and configuring my router I went to the regular desktop view which is plain and looks like Win7 Only the quick access, internet icon, notices, lanquage and clock icons were visible. I had created a new toolbar which referenced the start menu in Windows...