Windows 10: GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux

Discus and support GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently uninstalled Linux SteamOS more specificially and now whenever I boot, it takes me to a “GRUB rescue mode screen” and I have to restart and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NovaThings, Jun 27, 2020.

1. GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux

I recently uninstalled Linux SteamOS more specificially and now whenever I boot, it takes me to a “GRUB rescue mode screen” and I have to restart and manually choose Windows to boot into it. Can someone help me remove GRUB?

By the way, my hard drive is GPT

:)

NovaThings, Jun 27, 2020
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

How do I remove the Linux Boot Loader?

You don't actually uninstall a boot loader but replace it with another.

You cannot get Ubuntu to start on a Windows' boot loader, it needs to be GRUB (or an open source equivalent).

Any ways, to get the Windows' boot loader back up, you need to insert your WIN7 installer disk and select the repair option>startup repair. I am assuming the WIN7 will use a similar setup menu as VISTA.

Follow the guide here for step by step intructions: Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD

After that, just format the partition/disk that ubuntu is on...

3. how to change boot loader from grub (linux) to windows ?

I have dual boot BOSS linux and windows 10. I want to change my boot loader from grub to windows. So plz guide me on how from change grub to windows

shekarbalakrishnan, Jun 27, 2020
  4. GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux

How to remove grub boot-loader after Windows 10 ugprade?

I installed Windows 10 Pro, and I like it so much that I've decided to abandon my Ubuntu dual-boot.

Question: How can I restore the Windows boot loader that was previously replaced by grub?

Suggestion: It would be nice if the upgrade process would offer to help you with this if it detects another OS in the hard drive (in the same way the linux installer offers to do so).

ErsatzStoat, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux

1. GRUB loader still on Windows after uninstalling Linux - Similar Threads - GRUB loader still

2. GRUB boot loader on Windows 11 system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GRUB boot loader on Windows 11 system: I have a system that was previously installed with Ubuntu and now has Windows 11. Unfortunately it seems to still use the GRUB boot loader when booting initially. I've tried repairing the MBR using win11 installation media but this has not had any affect. Any suggestions?...
  3. GRUB boot loader on Windows 11 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GRUB boot loader on Windows 11 system: I have a system that was previously installed with Ubuntu and now has Windows 11. Unfortunately it seems to still use the GRUB boot loader when booting initially. I've tried repairing the MBR using win11 installation media but this has not had any affect. Any suggestions?...
  4. Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX: Actually I was using dual boot which was pre loaded in my HP laptop but I never used LINUX and deleted it and merge partition to windows 10 after that I restarted my laptop it shows grub screen.I have spent about 2 days in Google YouTube but getting same codes ie. Set boot...
  5. Removing Kali Linux Boot Loader

Removing Kali Linux Boot Loader: Hello Microsoft Community,I had for the last 2 months Kali linux Dual boot installed with Windows 10 for the last 3 months.Yesterday, i deleted the partition for Kali and still can't figure out how to remove the boot loader from the UEFI partition.I went to the internet and i...
  6. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  7. Grub Loader missing

Grub Loader missing: my Dual boot of ubuntu is missing after i installed virtual box in windows 10 so how to get my grub boot up option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grub-loader-missing/d1c8b7a8-e788-48c3-836c-92911aef2ccc
  8. GRUB boot loader failing again and again!

GRUB boot loader failing again and again!: Hello there, I'm facing the worst issue ever in my life & two days gone without a solution! So, when I turn my laptop on, a black screen appears with the caption "a disk read error has occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Every time it appears & I also tried many times...
  9. Windows 10 updates continually interrupted by Grub boot loader

Windows 10 updates continually interrupted by Grub boot loader: I partitioned my PC a few months back so it now dual boots with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. On boot, it brings up Grub, Ubuntu's boot loader, so I can choose which OS to run. Now, when Windows updates require a restart, the result is always seemingly the same - the update process...
  10. Trying to uninstall Linux from Dual Boot, still gets stuck at Grub

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trying to uninstall Linux from Dual Boot, still gets stuck at Grub: I have followed the instructions over at think geek for uninstalling Linux and have run the bootsec.exe /fixmbr... but on startup it still is getting stuck at the minimal Grub menu. Do I need to also remove the first partition (seen in pic) all the way to the left, the 260 MB...