Windows 10: GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers

Discus and support GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I plug in a device via USB the WIN10 OS immediately generates stopcode error: NOMORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS (green screen) and machine reboots or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GGN, May 24, 2020.

1. GGN
    GGN Win User

GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers

When I plug in a device via USB the WIN10 OS immediately generates stopcode error: NOMORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS (green screen) and machine reboots or freezes.

WIN10 Pro x64, OS Insider build 19631, release 200514_1410. Driver installations of course don't appear in the device manager Ports or USB Controller lines because they are never installed.

The device is designed to use FTDI drivers only. Other USB connected devices that work with Microsoft drivers install and operate correctly.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

:)

2. sdbbs Win User

Debugging disappearance of FTDI USB/Serial device in Windows 10?

Ok, this is the thing: I have to use a device which has a FTDI FT245 chip. On other computers, this device works fine. So, I need to attach it to my work Windows 10 PC.

However: when I attach it, at first, the device is detected - as typical for FTDI based devices - as USB Serial Port (COM3) node under a Ports (COM & LPT) node in Device Manager. And then it hangs there for around 10 seconds; and then I hear the Windows 10 disconnect sound - and it disappears from Device Manager! Here is video/animated gif capture of Device Manager in that case:

GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers ZjGgK.gif

When I plug the device, the Device Manager tree refreshes at first and shows the node, and then when it refreshes the second time (when the node disappears), I do absolutely nothing.

This is a Lenovo PC, with only USB 3 ports on it. I have tried:

• Plugging directly into the Lenovo USB 3 port
    • Plugging the device into a powered (with external adapter) USB 3 USB Hub, which is then plugged in the Lenovo USB 3 port
    • Plugging the device into a powered (with external adapter) USB 2 USB Hub, which is then plugged in the Lenovo USB 3 port
    • I've repeated those of these tests with a Hub, both with and without adapter power.
    • I've also repeated all these tests with two different USB cables (type B (since that's what the device has) to type A). One of these cables I use daily with a different device, never had a problem with it.
    • I've done these tests both with the drivers that Windows 10 installed automatically upon first plug of the device - and with the https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip recommended on the FTDI page.

In every case, the response is exactly the same as on the video.

What is the worst - if I look at the Event Viewer, there is absolutely no pointer so as to a reason why would the device disappear.

I also tried using USBLogView - all that it says is event type "Plug" when I plug the device, and "Unplug" when the device disappears.

And one more thing - I've had the device plugged in the USB 3 hub, after the device node disappeared; then I uninstalled some unrelated (video editor) program, and by accident, I looked at the hub, and saw its LED steady on (it otherwise shuts off when the node disappears) - and it persisted in that state for like a minute or so; but as soon as I tried to run a program that should talk to the FTDI chip on the device, the device node disappeared again. This was the only instance so far, where the device node stayed in Device Manager for longer than the 10 seconds or so, as shown on the video - every other instance of plugging in this FTDI based device showed behavior as on the gif/vidfeo.

So, now I'm really at loss, in finding what I should do to make this work. The thing is - if there was a driver problem, the device would never had shown in the Device Manager as the correct USB Serial Port (COM3) node. If there was a cable problem, at least one cable (the one I otherwise use daily) should have worked. And at least once, the device persisted for a longer than usual.

This tells me that probably this is due to some misconfiguration of Windows - however, I have absolutely no useful feedback from neither Event Viewer, nor USBLogView.

So what options do I have, in debugging this problem? How can I find the reason for the FTDI device node disappearing, after some 10 seconds of existing?

sdbbs, May 24, 2020
  3. USB composite device "driver error"

Can you send us a screenshot of the error message? We suggest uninstalling and re-installing USB drivers and check if the issue persists. To do that, please follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click on the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Regards.

Aileen Alf, May 24, 2020
  4. GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers

USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

The USB ports started failing intermittently again and then permanently.

Reinstalled 1703 again and that fixed it for a while then they started failing again.

When I plug in any peripheral it shows up in device manager with the exclamation mark.

I right-click 'update driver'
    Choose 'browse my computer...'
    'Let me pick from a list of...'
    Select the best candidate

Then the device will work. Until it is unplugged and plugged in again...

Then we are back to square one for that device.

Are there any suggestions for kicking the USB hub back to life so it recognises ordinary USB devices like mouses and keyboards without a manual driver update?

mojorising, May 24, 2020
Thema:

GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers

1. GSOD when plug in USB device using FTDI drivers - Similar Threads - GSOD plug USB

2. usb devices power lost when plug 3 devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb devices power lost when plug 3 devices: before the problem, i can plug up to 3 devices except a dead usb 2.0 portbut for today, the problem is started to appearif i plug 3 devices then 2 devices will lost power2 devices will lost power:usb 2.0 webcamwired mouse these are all plugged devices included pcieusb 2.0...
  3. BSOD c0000409 when USB device plug-in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD c0000409 when USB device plug-in: Hi This failure happened when I plug in a USB device connect to windows system USB port.Can you let me know what the reason is cause this crash? Is caused by the USB device?fffff805`34df7d60 48894c2408 mov qword ptr [rsp+8],rcx ss:0018:fffff805`39671ec0=00000000000001390: kd>...
  4. BSOD c0000409 when USB device plug-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD c0000409 when USB device plug-in: Hi This failure happened when I plug in a USB device connect to windows system USB port.Can you let me know what the reason is cause this crash? Is caused by the USB device?fffff805`34df7d60 48894c2408 mov qword ptr [rsp+8],rcx ss:0018:fffff805`39671ec0=00000000000001390: kd>...
  5. BSOD c0000409 when USB device plug-in

6. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  7. USB device not recognized when plugged in

USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  8. FTDI driver - help ?

FTDI driver - help ?: Hi anyone able to help me out in talking me thru the installing of a suitable driver for my Dell Optiplex 7010 pc running windows 10 pro. ( Windows - 20H2 ) When I plug my usb cable into my pc and check under device manager it comes up marked as usb serial port with the...
  9. FTDI 232 UART USB Device

FTDI 232 UART USB Device: Windows 10 I am a new Ham Radio operator and bought a dual band radio. It came with a USB dongle to install a driver and to use with software to download frequencies into my radio. I plugged the dongle in and it said it had installed and was ready. I am using Chirp...
  10. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in: Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were with some slow networking. Tuesday evening a new problem cropped up - constant USB device connected/disconnected sounds,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ftdi windows freeze