Windows 10: Guest user / another user with limited access

Discus and support Guest user / another user with limited access in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I want to create an secondary user on my computer with limited access. I manage to create a secondary user without an Microsoft Account. Just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Vaskehanske, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Guest user / another user with limited access

Hello,

I want to create an secondary user on my computer with limited access.
    I manage to create a secondary user without an Microsoft Account. Just with username and password.
    My problem is that this other user have access to the D-disk where i have all my personal files.

How could i set the permissions for that user so it wont get into my files?

Looking forward to get some answers.

Thanks!

:)

Vaskehanske, Jan 26, 2021

2. Need to restrict user access

Hi,

I suggest you to create guest account. Guest account is designed for users who require temporary access to a computer and don’t need to store their user-specific profile settings permanently. Users who log on as a guest have
    a very limited set of permissions. For example, they cannot access other users’ files or perform system wide tasks such as installing software or hardware.

For security reasons, the built-in Guest account is disabled by default. This prevents users from having an option to log on to the system as Guest.

Files on the root of C: are available to the guest account in order to allow it to run properly, but files in the "Users" folder are not unless someone gave the guest user folder permissions.

To enable the guest account I would suggest you to try the following steps.

a. Type This PC in the search bar.

b. Right-click This PC , and then click Manage.

c. Click Local Users and Groups.

d. Click Users.

f. Right-click the Guest account, choose Properties.

g. On the General tab, select Account is Enabled.

h. Click Ok.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Guest User Restriction

Hello.

The problem was not to create a Guest user account. Yet I created an account by the steps mentioned in that guide.

Problem is how the guest/visitor user is able to revoke the restrictions that were put by the administrator account.

I removed all access to the drive for that particular guest user from my admin account. I switch to guest user and its locked. But then without any authentication I am able to change the security settings.

Should this happen? Then how to restrict access to folder/drives for other users?

CriticalHunter, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Vesao Win User

Guest user / another user with limited access

How to remove Guest account?

Try these steps and you should be able to delete the guest account:
    1. Press the WIN + X keys and select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the Quick Access menu.
    2. At the Command Prompt, run this command: Code:
      Code:
      net user Guest /del

Vesao, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Guest user / another user with limited access

1. Guest user / another user with limited access - Similar Threads - Guest user another

2. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up guest user: How do I set up a guest user that has access to programs on my computer, but not my personal files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-guest-user/fe8c5af1-f430-4967-acd2-836d33d2ebeb
  3. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up guest user: How do I set up a guest user that has access to programs on my computer, but not my personal files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-guest-user/fe8c5af1-f430-4967-acd2-836d33d2ebeb
  4. Set up guest user

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. change name of guest user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    change name of guest user: how to change name of guest user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-guest-user/4538f110-9bd2-4fde-906e-46b5e14b22e6
  6. Guest User customisation

Guest User customisation: How do i allow guest user to download and access apps/programs on just guest but not on admin profile while at the same time also allowing games from admin available on guest profile. Simply i have given guest profile access to games purpose but now i want to also give...
  7. Guest User Restriction

Guest User Restriction: Hello. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account. With my admin account I did Properties > Security > Remove all access for that user account. And when I switch to the other account it just shows NTFS drive and inaccessible. But within that account when I...
  8. Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.: This is really weird. I have 2 computers. Computer A has 1 shared folder. Computer B has 2 users. Both are administrators. But only 1 user can access the shared folder. The other user has to enter the network credentials. Also new users have no access. How is this possible?...
  9. I cannot access a NAS as a guest user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot access a NAS as a guest user: Hi I need to access a NAS as a guest user, it is possible to access the NAS on a computer with Linus but it is not possible when using Windows. When I try I get the network error 1208. From what I have read the functionality was disabled in windows because it was too...
  10. Limit Local User Access (10 Home)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Limit Local User Access (10 Home): How can limit the ability of a local user (non-Admin) to access drives and files on a pubic computer? 60343