Windows 10: Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives

Discus and support Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 64-bit Ver. 1909 b,18363.535 I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ashleyg, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ashleyg Win User

Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Ver. 1909 b,18363.535

I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so much about losing the data -it's largely a back-up of working data- but want to provide an obstacle so they would reformat the drive for re-use rather than trying to look at the data.

I looked at the tutorials that show you how to set up Bitlocker Protection on removable drives (I believe the correct term in this case is 'Bitlocker to go') and I have tested it out and the option works well for me.

Appreciate any advice from experienced users using Bitlocker in this way and I guess any pitfalls.

Ps. My fixed system drive/s are not protected by Bitlocker - I have not felt it necessary at this time.

Thank you.

:)

ashleyg, Jan 15, 2020
  2. ashleyg Win User

Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Ver. 1909 b,18363.535

I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so much about losing the data -it's largely a back-up of working data- but want to provide an obstacle so they would reformat the drive for re-use rather than trying to look at the data.

I looked at the tutorials that show you how to set up Bitlocker Protection on removable drives (I believe the correct term in this case is 'Bitlocker to go') and I have tested it out and the option works well for me.

Appreciate any advice from experienced users using Bitlocker in this way and I guess any pitfalls.

Ps. My fixed system drive/s are not protected by Bitlocker - I have not felt it necessary at this time.

Thank you.

ashleyg, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Anibor Win User

I used BitLocker to encrypt UFDs for some time, until I encountered problems trying to unblock a UFD (the window to enter the password didn´t appear, further actions lead to freezes).

Now I use virtual disks encrypted with BitLocker. I haven´t found any problems yet. An advantage or this method is that it permits to encrypt only part of the UFD. For me it´s not important if someone looking at the drive knows that it´s encrypted.

I haven´t used VeraCrypt to encrypt UFDs, but have used containers (volumes) encrypted with it for years. Not one single problem after thousands of mount and unmount operations, copies to other drives to backup the containers, etc.

Anibor, Jan 15, 2020
  4. ashleyg Win User

@hsehestedt

Thanks for your response. I may not have worded my requirements very well. My need is basic at this stage and is around the scenario where should I lose my USB flash drive, then I want to be confident in the knowledge that an average person finding the flash drive will not be able to readily access the data on the drive. I'm not worried if they choose to format the drive and use it for their purposes. In that case, would Bitlocker do the job.?

ashleyg, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives - Similar Threads - Guidance Bitlocker Encryption

2. Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Encrypt USB Drive with Bitlocker: Hi - I have a new HP laptop that came with Windows 11 Home. I upgraded it to Windows 11 Pro, because I want to use BitLocker. I was able to turn on BitLocker on the C drive. However, when I try to encrypt a USB drive with BitLocker, I receive an error saying: "Starting...
  3. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  4. Bitlocker on USB flash drive

Bitlocker on USB flash drive: I have a 256GB USB Micro flash drive that I have plugged into my laptop Microsoft Laptop 3 running Windows 10 Professional. While I was working today it got locked by BitLocker somehow. I have used this drive for months and it's never been a problem nor did I ever used...
  5. Bitlocker on USB flash drives

Bitlocker on USB flash drives: I read through the below tutorial on how to encrypt USB removable data drives. Turn On or Off BitLocker for Removable Data Drives in Windows 10 However, I just wanted to know if it would be best practice to add the data BEFORE or AFTER encrypting a USB removable drive using...
  6. Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Guidance on Bitlocker Encryption setup - Removable USB Flash Drives: Win 10 Pro 64-bit Ver. 1909 b,18363.535 I'm looking at options for securing the USB flash drives (content) from unauthorised access. I don't care so much about losing the data -it's largely a back-up of working data- but want to provide an obstacle so they would reformat the...
  7. USB Flash Drive with Bitlocker

USB Flash Drive with Bitlocker: I tried to use bitlocker on a USB Flash drive and about half way through we had a power bump and my PC restarted. Now I can't access the drive. I tried to use bitlocker again but right clicking does not offer bitlocker any more. Is the drive toast or can I retrieve the data I...
  8. Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encrypted corrupt usb drive.: I have a seagate usb 3 external hard drive. it has been bitlocker encrypted. It has also been damaged in some way. When I boot my machine with legacy setup in the bios most usb drives show up (flash drive and another external usb 3 drive). The problem drive is not showing...
  9. Guidance for configuring BitLocker to enforce software encryption

in Windows 10 News
    Guidance for configuring BitLocker to enforce software encryption: Microsoft is aware of reports of vulnerabilities in the hardware encryption of certain self-encrypting drives (SEDs). Customers concerned about this issue should consider using the software only encryption provided by BitLocker Drive Encryption™. On Windows computers with...
  10. BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?

BitLocker encrypted USB Flash drive on another computer?: I have a dedicated USB flash drive to store all my files and its now encrypted with BitLocker. What if I insert this USB drive to another computer and edit my documents directly from the USB drive without saving the files onto the other computer? Will data still leak to that...