Windows 10: Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings

Discus and support Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Supermicro MB (C7Q67), 8GB Ram, I7 2600 CPU, 1 SSD, 2 2TB HDDs, Windows 2004. I'm looking for recommendations on what to do about the BIOS settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clk1946, Aug 6, 2020.

1. clk1946 Win User

Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings

Supermicro MB (C7Q67), 8GB Ram, I7 2600 CPU, 1 SSD, 2 2TB HDDs, Windows 2004. I'm looking for recommendations on what to do about the BIOS settings regarding the boot option entries listed in my 3 boot options lists under the Boot tab. All three boot options contain a list of three boot entries named 'Windows Boot Manager' plus other hardware device entries. The Bios setup support is provided by the APTIO setup s/w provided by AMI. What confuses me is why are there three 'Windows Boot Manager' entries in the 'Boot Option' lists. One of the 'Windows Boot Manager' entries does get the PC booted into Windows 2004, however, the other two entries don't. What I'm looking for is a way of 'cleaning' this mess up, but I have yet to find that way. I'm at the point where I want to clear/reset the BIOS/UEFI and hope for the best - is this wise ?

BTW, the system is running fine, but what bothers me is that two of the 'Windows Boot Manager' entries seem bogus. Also, I don't really know how the entries in any of the Boot Options lists work. I have the SSD device listed in these lists, but it doesn't seem to have any influence in the boot process when I choose it.

:)

clk1946, Aug 6, 2020
  2. dac81048 Win User

Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Improv Win User
    UEFI resetting itself?

Hey guys I'm having a really annoying issue that is driving me crazy right now.

It seems that the UEFI for the Asus P8Z77-V PRO resets itself then when you change the settings it doesn't stick in OS until you reset CMOS.

The board is about half a year old and I'm not sure what's causing it. I reflashed the bios and I get the same thing. I don't think it's the battery because I can shut it down all the way, unplug it, and when I turn it back on it's fine. But randomly when you restart it forgets the settings.

Sometimes it forgets half the settings.

So what happens is the clock speeds become screwed up as well with all monitoring software reporting the wrong clock speed no matter what you do unless you reset the CMOS. So the setting would stick in UEFI but not in the OS. It seems really screwed up. I really need the comp and can't afford to send the motherboard to Asus since I have deadlines and I can't afford to buy a new board right now *Frown Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings :(

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Intel 2500k
    Crucial 16GB ram
    NZXT Halo 90 850 watt
    GTX 680 4 GB

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Improv, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Stecyk Win User

Resetting Bios Password

I am doing some spring cleaning, getting rid of old desktops, laptops, and routers. Regarding the computers, I am wanting to wipe the hard drives with Darik's Boot and Nuke software. When I booted up one old Dell desktop from 2001, I learned that it requires a BIOS password. Why I ever put one on is beyond me. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the password. The rest of this message will be about wanting to know if my understanding for resetting the BIOS password is correct.

Technically, this thread/message isn't about Windows 10 specifically. But it does relate to hardware, and I am hoping that it would apply to a significant number of computers, so I hope this message is okay.

I called Dell, and the technician said that I needed to reset the jumper on motherboard to reset the BIOS password. After opening the case on my old Dell computer and hunting on the internet, this is the what I think I have learned. I will present photograph of a portion of the motherboard.

Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings [​IMG]

I have put a red rectangular box around what I think is the jumper for the BIOS. I note that "PASS" is written on the motherboard beside those three pins.

I believe these are steps I need to follow. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. Turn off and unplug the computer. (It has been off and unplugged for about ten plus years. I just plugged it in today. I am not sure if this information is relevant. Perhaps it helps with regard to the motherboard's battery.)
    2. Open the case and locate those "PASS" pins again.
    3. Switch the jumper from the current two pins to include the third pin and middle pin. Leave it there for 5 seconds or more. In other words, move the jumper over one pin for a few seconds.
    4. Reset the jumper back to its original position with the original pins.
    5. Plug in the computer, and attempt to boot it up.
    6. Assuming it boots up, open CD tray and put in Darik's Boot and Nuke software and follow the steps.

Is there any information that I am missing? Do I have the correct location for the jumper? Are my steps correct?

Thank you for your help.

Stecyk, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Guidance regarding resetting BIOS/UEFI settings - Similar Threads - Guidance regarding resetting

2. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset: Hi all,Having major issues with my PC atm. I have not had BIOS or UEFI access for some time, I have managed but it's been inconvenient. Every time I have replaced or reseated a device my motherboards QLED would come up with boot green light error but eventually turned on If I...
  3. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset: Hi all,Having major issues with my PC atm. I have not had BIOS or UEFI access for some time, I have managed but it's been inconvenient. Every time I have replaced or reseated a device my motherboards QLED would come up with boot green light error but eventually turned on If I...
  4. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows UEFI BIOS setting not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows UEFI BIOS setting not working: Hi, I'm having trouble enabling windows UEFI mode in my computer's BIOS. I know for a fact that my computer supports secure boot. When I set secure boot to Windows UEFI windows 11 will go into automatic repair. Please help!...
  6. Windows UEFI BIOS setting not working

Windows UEFI BIOS setting not working: Hi, I'm having trouble enabling windows UEFI mode in my computer's BIOS. I know for a fact that my computer supports secure boot. When I set secure boot to Windows UEFI windows 11 will go into automatic repair. Please help!...
  7. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  8. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  9. BIOS reset setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS reset setting: Hello, I recently gave my brother my laptop for like 2 years and he changed a lot of things in the BIOS and I don't feel comfortable with them and I want to go back but I don't remember which were the default settings (the laptop is a HP 14-r203ns) so I wonder if it were like...
  10. UEFI /BIOS Masterpassword reset recommendations

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI /BIOS Masterpassword reset recommendations: Hi, So I forgot my masterpassword to UEFI and i need to do a factory reset since my Laptop is ****ed but I have no clue which tutorial from Google is good or even will work for me so I need advice or better someone who can guide me through the whole process. I have another...