Windows 10: [Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging

Discus and support [Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey guys, Windows 10 removed the option to set one brightness level for running a laptop on AC, and another for running on battery (forcing you to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by GreyWasMyFriend, Mar 8, 2020.

1. [Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging

Hey guys,

Windows 10 removed the option to set one brightness level for running a laptop on AC, and another for running on battery (forcing you to either have one constant battery level, or change it manually - there was no way in the system you could change this).

A kind user over at the Autohotkey forums helped me find an answer.

First, head over to AutoHotkey and install the program (32 bit or 64 bit, depending on your Windows 10 install).

Then, head on over to this thread, check out VSUB's post, and click 'Download' above the script they've posted.

You can change brightness on charge and brightness on battery by changing the values of the script that are bolded below:

{
    SendMessage,0x0422,0,50, msctls_trackbar321
    IniWrite,Off,% A_ScriptDir"\Power.ini",Status,Battery
    }
    Else
    {
    SendMessage,0x0422,0,10, msctls_trackbar321
    IniWrite,On,% A_ScriptDir"\Power.ini",Status,Battery
    }

I've got my AC/charging brightness set at 90% (the first value, 50), and my on-battery value set to 50% (the second value, 10).

To edit an Autohotkey script (.ahk), right click the script, click 'Open with...', select notepad, edit those values, then save the script as an .ahk again.

As vsub says, make sure that you're plugged in the first time you run the task. You can add it to your start menu Startup folder or schedule it to start when Windows starts as per other tutorials.

I know a lot of us were frustrated by this, so for those googling:

Windows 10 change brightness on battery
    Windows 10 how to change brightness on AC
    Windows 10 Power Plan Brightness Charging and Battery

:)

GreyWasMyFriend, Mar 8, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

[Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Brightness can not be adjusted.

Hi Sirajudeen,

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were you able to see any error message/ error code with this issue?
    • Have you tried to install all the pending updates for drivers and Windows Updates on your device?

This issue might have happened due to corrupted/ outdated drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article, try the troubleshooting steps suggested to change the brightness and check if it helps.

Adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of changing the brightness and required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 8, 2020
  4. jenaheng Win User

[Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging

Adjusting brightness on X3-02

How do I adjust the brightness on my X3-02? The user guide said we should adjust the brightness to save battery life, but I can't find it on my phone.

The specifications stated "Adjustable screen brightness", where is it?

jenaheng, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

[Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging

1. [Guide] How to auto-adjust brightness when running on battery/charging - Similar Threads - Guide auto adjust

2. Disabled auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos: How can I disable the auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos? Every time I open photos, one or two seconds later it became darker, honestly I don't like it. I already tried to enter this command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode...
  3. Disabled auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos: How can I disable the auto brightness adjustment in MS Photos? Every time I open photos, one or two seconds later it became darker, honestly I don't like it. I already tried to enter this command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode...
  4. How to turn off auto brightness adjustment on the WEBCAM

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off auto brightness adjustment on the WEBCAM: Hi there. I am lucky enough to have a desk in front of a window, so I have tons of natural light shining on to my face and room. With a properly adjusted camera, this looks wonderful. However, Windows has decided that their auto-brightness on the webcam is just perfect, and...
  5. Adjust to Auto Brightness

Adjust to Auto Brightness: To, Microsoft Community Hi, this is Gavin. Using your Microsoft Windows 10 OS Version 2004 OS Build 19041.508 on My Laptop. I wan to keep keep Auto Brightness or Adaptive Brightness for My Laptop. How do i do that. Means My Laptop should Automatically adjust to the...
  6. Help, brightness auto-adjusts constantly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help, brightness auto-adjusts constantly: I have an HP envy x360, and the brightness adjusts up and down constantly, seemingly depending on the brightness of the page/background. This happens regardless of whether or not i have power saving mode enabled, and both plugged and unplugged. Even manually setting the...
  7. brightness, how to adjust the brightness?

brightness, how to adjust the brightness?: Idk much about windows 10 help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-how-to-adjust-the-brightness/935b0821-c6fd-4be6-b4f6-121976c88282
  8. Auto adjustment brightness react slowly

Auto adjustment brightness react slowly: Hi Microsoft My Dell platform XPS 7390 2in1 had reacted slowly at auto adjustment brightness. I keep doing the Windows Update. Now is at version 18362.449 and still find it react slowly while the light of environment change How can I improve it?...
  9. 1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!

1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!: Got 1903 installed and now missing both of those sliders https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/69670d1458089843-adjust-screen-brightness-windows-10-a-adust_plan_brightness-2.png I can still adjust brightness for Plugged In mode in the notifications menu and...
  10. Windows 10 auto adjusting brightness

Windows 10 auto adjusting brightness: Whenever I watch a video in full screen, windows just keep auto adjusting the brightness setting. If I switch back to normal the screen gets dim all way down, I go back to full screen it gets brighter all way up, I switch to another window and gets dimmer aall way down again....