Windows 10: Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

Discus and support Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is all going to be theory as all parts have been returned. I was tasked to repair a Dell Inspiron 15 5568 laptop with a dead short on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by colsearle, Jan 29, 2021.

1. colsearle Win User

Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

This is all going to be theory as all parts have been returned.

I was tasked to repair a Dell Inspiron 15 5568 laptop with a dead short on motherboard. A replacement motherboard was sourced on eBay, Only one available.

Upon fitting it had the same characteristics as the original failed motherboard. No charge light indicator and would knock out the charger just like a dead short. The replacement motherboard has now been returned as faulty for refund.

I have since found that the SSD has a dead short. Enough to make the wires smoke when trying to connect it to a desktop machine of my own.

My question is... Would the replacement motherboard charging circuit still have operated and shown the charge LED indicator or would the SATA circuit have been checked upon connecting the mains adapter ?

My thinking may be oldschool but I would have thought that the SSD would not have been supplied with power until the power button was pressed.

Other notes - Old board was tested without SSD connected and still failed to show charge indicator and CPU became hot. The replacement motherboard was not tested without SSD connected, No parts of the board became hot.

Many Thanks

:)

colsearle, Jan 29, 2021

2. Desktop Turns On When Laptop Powered Up

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you for follow the methods below and check if it helps in solving the issue:

Method 1: Run Power Troubleshooter.

You may try to run the Power Troubleshooter and Reset the power options.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.

• Click on “View all” on the top left pane.

• Select Power from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Run the in-built Network troubleshooter by following the steps below.

• Type “troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.

• Click on “View all” on the top left corner.

• Click on “Network Adapter” and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.
    Then, shutdown your PC and check.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Purchased laptop less than 2 months ago, how can I return?

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

To return the laptop or any hardware related issues, I suggest you to get in touch with the Manufacturer.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/

Please answer the questions below to assist you better.

- Did you make changes prior to this issue?

- Are you able the see light when you turn on the laptop?

I suggest you to do a power drain by following the steps below.

• Remove the battery.

• Long press the power button for 15-20 seconds.

• Start the computer by connecting the power source (battery should not be connected).

• Check if the problem still persists while shutting down the computer.

• If not, then connect the battery and can use the computer.

Hope this information helps. Get back to us with more information to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

sata power and sata 3

i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. imgur.com

BenShankroff, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power

1. Guru Question on Laptop SATA Power - Similar Threads - Guru Question Laptop

2. Calling All network Guru's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Calling All network Guru's: Here's the issue and it is baffling me.Ok Three Computers 2x Desktop and a laptop. All on same network well laptop is wireless. On all the computers I have completed all the network sharing type stuff, made sure the MacAfee firewall is good to share files etc and shared all...
  3. Battery and Power Question for laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery and Power Question for laptops: If I were to set the "when I close the lid" setting to do nothing, but set the "Hibernate after this amount of time" to 10 min. Will the computer hibernate after the 10 min if I shut the lid? Or will it continue to run? Basically I want to be able to shut the lid but if I...
  4. sata power and sata 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  5. Question about adding SATA ports.

Question about adding SATA ports.: I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive....
  6. Laptop won't power up question.

Laptop won't power up question.: I have a family member whose laptop will not power up. At first the battery would die after a very short time. It would run normal if the power adapter was plugged in. Now it wont power on at all. Is it possible that the laptop won't power up with the power adapter plugged in...
  7. Sata ports question

Sata ports question: Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from what i understand my MB uses sata ports 5&6, i currently have 2 devices connected to those ports. would moving those two to...
  8. guru browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    guru browser: czy ktoś pomoże mi usunąć guru browser...? to cholerstwo nie chce zniknąć. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_updating-protectwindows8_1/guru-browser/149a8738-ce12-4353-8c20-dcf4cceeb175
  9. Question for the registry guru's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question for the registry guru's: I gotta be honest here, I found a tutorial - but it was "juuuust" beyond my grasp and when working with the registry it can get hairy. Spent a lot of time getting this pc set up and dont want to lose it all due to my OCD desire to "customize" this small tidbit. I'm hoping...
  10. HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.

HHD question on replacing EIDE with a SATA.: At the moment this is a bit hypothetical. I have a 9.5yr old Acer laptop that has its original 120Gb drive fitted. The drive says on it 'Enhanced IDE'. The Crucial website says that the original storage fitted has 'Serial ATA support' and suggests a standard SATA SSD as a...