Windows 10: GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever

Discus and support GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi Thanks for that, I followed some of the links and found myself on a Microsoft download page that allows you to download a updated windows update,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever

Yep, you can just use the tutorial to disable it if you like. Either option sets a policy that disables it. *Smile

Brink, Nov 28, 2015
  2. zooburner Win User

Thanks *Smile

zooburner, Nov 28, 2015
  3. unifex Win User
    I've just reinstalled Windows 7 (got a new SSD *Smile ) and I can confirm that the Group Policy setting does come with one of the updates (it's not there originally on a fresh install). I can't tell you which one, since I've had a couple of hundreds of them. But what I did, I looked up the list of hidden updates on my other Windows 7 machine, skipped these initially (I always do the updates manually, i.e. the system is set to "never check for updates"), then once the Group Policy setting became available, I enabled it, and voila, no problems with W10, no GWX stuff, etc.

unifex, Nov 28, 2015
  4. GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever

I like to keep my options open and choose when I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thus, in the Control Panels of my Windows 7 and 8.1 machines, the setting is to install important updates automatically, but the box 'Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates' is unchecked

Will I be safe from a nasty surprise one day in early 2016 finding that my machines have been upgraded overnight to Windows 10? I may not be ready yet!

Or will I have to accept a EULA first, before a machine is upgraded to Windows 10? I would be able to block an upgrade then, when I am not ready yet.

FrozenCursor, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Scramjet Win User
    My wife got the Windows upgrade nag to Windows 10 several times this week. Quite the nag I must say. She finally gave in yesterday and wanted me to upgrade. This is the second time I upgraded her laptop to Windows 10. She had a few issues last time and reverted back. All went well this time also. If I didn't want to upgrade my system I know the nags can be very annoying. Great to have people here who can help us.

Scramjet, Nov 29, 2015
  6. zooburner Win User
    As I understand it it will be moved from 'Optional' to 'Recommended' in 2016 so with your settings it should not try and upgrade, sad thing is though I just don't trust Microsoft to keep it that way any more.

zooburner, Nov 29, 2015
  7. Trust_No1 Win User
    Well, I installed the GWX control panel and the reg file, it seems to work great. Thanks to all.

Trust_No1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever

1. GWX Control Panel Update Keeps Win 10 Away from Windows 7 PCs Forever - Similar Threads - GWX Control Panel

2. Win 10 Sound Control Panel Not Responding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Sound Control Panel Not Responding: Hey guys, trying to set up some speakers and Sound Control Panel keeps crashing when I open the recording bar. Any ideas? Cheers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-sound-control-panel-not-responding/50fb89ca-2d04-4d3f-815d-c6732cc13173
  3. Taking forever to update win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever to update win 10: Hello guys, Earlier i posted a question about a freezing problem in my pc. I think i have found a solution to it. Looks like there is a problem with my wifi driver. When i connect to the internet via ethernet such a problem doesn't arise. However i was able to use my pc...
  4. win 10 control panel opening by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 control panel opening by itself: I am running win 10 on acer aspire E1-571 , INTEL CORE i7. few months ago control panel started opening by itself ? I ignored it for a while , But it happens when you doing something important and blocks the screen . very annoying . any ideas what could be causing it ....
  5. Control Panel/ Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Control Panel/ Windows update: I was looking through my control panel this morning and I saw Update for Windows 10 for x64-based system(kb40...... as one of the apps installed on january 11 2018 and I was wondering if I should delete it...
  6. Windows update is not in the control panel,

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update is not in the control panel,: Windows update is not in the control panel, where is it? 14814
  7. Remove Update Windows 10 from Control Panel Check For Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Remove Update Windows 10 from Control Panel Check For Updates: I'm trying to intstall updates for Windows 7 in Control Panel/Check for updates/Install Updates, but Upgrade to Windows 10 is on screen and I can't seem to proceed without the update. I already tried it and I don't like it so backed out. I don't want to upgrade and want it...
  8. How Do I Control Monitor's Control Panel from W/in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How Do I Control Monitor's Control Panel from W/in Win 10?: Hi guys, I got an HP monitor. I was wondering if its possible to control the monitor's control panel, like brightness and other controls from within Win 10. Let me know. 92229
  9. Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up: I have a Dell XPS 8700 that I previously upgraded to Win10 and then rolled back to Win7 for game compatibility. After the restoration of Win7, I disabled GWX. Yesterday I ran GWX Control Panel to insure that I had killed any Win10 pending upgrade. Out of curiosity I ran SFC...
  10. Open System from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open System from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings in Windows 10: How to: Open System from Win+X to Control Panel or Settings in Windows 10 SIZE=5]How to Open System from Win+X Menu to Control Panel or Settings in Windows 10[/SIZE] The Win+X Quick Link menu is a pop-up menu from the Start button that includes shortcuts of common...