Windows 10: GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . .

Discus and support GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . . in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Guys, First post in here so not entirely up to speed with the "jargon" . . . . I tried many ways to repair the above error to no avail. My Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by parametric, Jul 30, 2016.

1. GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . .

Hi Guys, First post in here so not entirely up to speed with the "jargon" . . . .

I tried many ways to repair the above error to no avail. My Win10 Home N showing error code 0xC004C003.

activation area showed Current code is ****WXCHW

I had gone for the GWX way back in December 2015 and was pleased with it. I had not used it for a couple of weeks, and fired it up on the 28 July (I know!*Rolleyes). A torrent of updates ensued, and on restart . . . . it fell over . . BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

I decided to back track (I had made the "one time" rescue media on DVD soon after I aquired the Machine) its an HP Pavilion 15n278sa BTW . . . Win8.1 installed and activated fine.

I had already made the Win10 media on usb3 - so I put it in and ran the setup - to upgrade to win10.

Installation went fine, but would not activate . . . . 0xC004003 again.

I tried the online activation . . . at the command prompt type Slui 4 <ok>
    select country (UK) <ok>
    Call toll free number, enter IIDs . . . . . . response was . . . . not activated . . . . . transfer to support operative . . . .

Long story short, - they need the Windows 8.1 Key, which I never had (preinstalled OS).

I've heard its embedded in a chip inside somewhere? MS said "ask HP", WE can't see it. Reports on HP's response are negative to say the least.

The Windows info in win8.1 stated a PRODUCT ID of four, five-digit alphanumerics, which clearly isn't the authorise.

Is it possible to retrieve the authorise (Five five digit alphanumerics)? Perhaps I need to go back to Win8.1 to do this?

Any ideas guys? (sorry its so long . . . ) Or am I doomed to stay with 8.1 (which I hate) - unless I open my wallet . . . ?

:)

parametric, Jul 30, 2016
  2. blazzed Win User

gwx hangs on please wait

I tied to remove the icon for gwx a while back

it returned

now that I want to go ahead the gwx box opens but hangs on please wait

this is the other win 7 computer and the first one went through fine

this is hung on please wait

I've broken the gwx

will I be able to get win10 without reservation free?

blazzed, Jul 30, 2016
  3. JustRight Win User
    "refreshgwxconfig" task fails with return code 0x8007000D. GWX Icon disappeared.

Hello again Navneet,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have now uninstalled both of the KB packages for Windows 8.1 that you listed. After a reboot I then re-applied those updates via Windows Update. The installation of the packages was successful.

However after a reboot the GWX Icon did not appear. Once again the "refreshgwxconfig" task in the Task Scheduler fails with a return code of 0x8007000D. Something is wrong with th GWX app, and it only started happening on the 21st of June.

I then tried the scripts mentioned in your initial reply in an attempt to get the GWX Icon to show. They had no effect at all.

I see that the forum is starting to get a lot of questions about the GWX Icon disappearing from systems where it had previously been displayed.

I think that something is broken! Can you inquire with the GWX developers?

Regards,

JustRight, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . .

Superfly, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Thanks for that SF . . . .
    What a splendid app . . . .

Here is the screenshot. Everything looks as it should? (to me)

GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . . [​IMG]

The installed key declares itself to be retail . . . (Done with the official downloaded media (as an upgrade))

What to do next . . . ?

If I alter the key in the activation page to the win8.1 one - perhaps it will recognise that I upgraded - and allow the Win10?

Best Regards

parametric, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Hi parametric,

Thanx, the problem is your Win 8.1 key is not for the N version, rather the standard version of Win 10 Home.

You'll need to install that, and it will activate automatically once on-line.

Superfly, Jul 30, 2016
  7. Thanks again Sir!

MY mistake for selecting the wrong option at the MS download site then . . .(doh!)

Are these downloads still available - (since July 29th has now passed)?

Best

parametric, Jul 30, 2016
  8. CmmTch Win User

CmmTch, Jul 31, 2016
  9. Thanks SF, this is posted from my new 8.1 installation, which reports "activated".

I've made a new usb of the "Home" install media (minus the "N") and will attempt the upgrade shortly . . .

I think the question is whether or not the MS Servers noted my previous (Dec 2015) upgrade to 10 or not - which would have registered my entitlement to Win10 for free? We'll see I guess . . .

If not the I'll try your suggestion <Steve> and thanks for that . . . !

I'll report back

ATB

parametric, Jul 31, 2016
  10. <SuperFly> and <Steve> HUGE thanks to you both for your patience and help.

I now have a fully functional and activated Windows10 Home (without the "N") on my laptop . . . . *Cool

Here's the result from ShowKey:

GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . . [​IMG]

The installed key reports Win 10 RTM Core Retail . . . .

I use this laptop for Music applications (Reaper) and as such it needs to be solid. I now need to install Komplete10 from NI, which is roughly 18Gb in size (huge sample library).

Unsurprisingly - I'd rather do this just ONCE (IYKWIM) - so it was crucial to have windows without issues . . . .

By way of thanks, I moderate on three music-related forums, so if any of you guys play guitars or synths etc, and ever have questions or problems, you can ask here: Yamaha Forums UK - Index page

My "handle" is the same as here. We are not a Yamaha official site, but they approve of our activites and DO take an interest in what goes on. We also cover most any of the other major brands (Roland, Korg, Kurtzweil, Casio etc). Recently there has been increased activity in the Guitar section - again, not just Yamaha . . . .
    It's free to browse and free to join if you want/need to participate. It's a friendly and well-mannered forum (rather like here!) with many knowledgable members . . . .

Huge thanks again*Thumbs

parametric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. GWX on a laptop broken by updates (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO) . . . . . - Similar Threads - GWX laptop broken

2. Just booted up laptop and it BSODed with bad_system_config_info

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just booted up laptop and it BSODed with bad_system_config_info: i booted it up once and it abruptly crashed on startup because my laptop wasnt plugged in abd my battery is dead and needs constant power on reboot it gives me that BSOD submitted by /u/youdecipher [link] [comments]...
  3. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: I keep getting this error. I tried reinstalling Windows and It works for a couple of days then this error shows again submitted by /u/Sarcaron_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j95u4h/bad_system_config_info/
  4. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: Galera, eu tenho um amigo que está com problema no w10... é o erro de BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO Ele disse que antes de dar esse erro, o PC estava lento, então ele decidiu reiniciar, porém quando ele foi ligar de novo deu o erro [7:08 PM] Alguma ideia pra resolver? [7:08 PM] Ele...
  5. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: My Alienware Laptop has been working fine since 2016, But yesterday, It randomly stopped letting me log into windows 10, i put in my pin and it just says “Cannot varify credentials” Me being the idiot i am, i held down the powerbutton for 30 seconds and turned it back on....
  6. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: So I got my laptop a blue screen and BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO on the bottom. What ever I do it keeps on looping on the same screen, no changes at all. I've tried to reset the computer with Keep my files and I've tried the command promt, didn't work as intended. I've tried the...
  7. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: I was trying to install Ubuntu along with Windows 10 in an Acer Aspire A515-51. When I ran the Installer, it didn't recognize the /dev/sda when I had to select the partition to install it. I was searching for help online, and I found that executing the command sudo dmraid -E...
  8. Update and restart --> BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update and restart --> BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO: Update suggests and frequently forces an Update and Restart. This seems to work but the next time at boot time: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. Windows attempts and fails at a repair and that reboots successfully in current OS version. After this the start menu still has the...
  9. BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO on DELL Inspiron 5420 Laptop-

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO on DELL Inspiron 5420 Laptop-: After updating from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 10 Home the Dell laptop staterd fine but after an hibernation it got the BSOD showing error BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO w/o any of Win start solutions working. It only offers to Restore but deleting all apps running in Win 7 plus...
  10. bad_system_config_info

in Windows 10 Support
    bad_system_config_info: My sons laptop is getting that error message, it is a dell inspiron with window 7 upgraded to 10 We think last update made it not usable All we get is blue screen and message in title Is there a way to uninstall last update from Microsoft He does not want to lose his...