Windows 10: .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc

Discus and support .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a compressed .gz file that is 10,448,012 KB in size that I'm attempting to copy to a USB drive. The software supplier specified that the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JillGaddis, Oct 25, 2019.

1. .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc

I have a compressed .gz file that is 10,448,012 KB in size that I'm attempting to copy to a USB drive. The software supplier specified that the drive must be formatted as exFAT and have a minimum of 16 KB of storage space. I bought a 3.0 Scandisk drive with 32 KB of storage space.

I receive error code 0x80004005 unspecified error when I attempt to transfer this file. I assume it's due to the file size as I have made sure the file can be shared and I have turned off my antivirus protection during the copy and paste process. All other (smaller) compressed files transferred ok.

The software provider's technical support solution is to pay them an extra $50 for a pre-loaded USB drive, Does anyone have any suggestions or layman's instructions on how to split and merge the file?

BTW, I'm running Windows 10 and the software is current.

:)

JillGaddis, Oct 25, 2019

2. Formating to exFAT

Hi Taylor,

If you want to format an external hard drive or USB flash drive in exFAT, you can follow these steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + x on your keyboard. This open the context menu.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type format g: /FS:exFAT and then Enter to begin formatting the G drive as exFAT
    For any query, feel free to reach us.

Marque Lor, Oct 25, 2019
  3. Formating to exFAT

If that's the case, you might need to use a format manager software, but you can try these other steps first.

Kindly follow the instructions below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox beside the Windows icon and press
      Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to
      Optimize for performance and then press OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select
      Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select exFAT in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process is completed.

Let us know how this goes.

Marque Lor, Oct 25, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

.gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc

exfat file system for windows 10

Hi Edward,

You should be able to transfer those videos through either the SD Card reader or through the Micro-USB cable.

Windows 10 fully supports reading and writing to exFAT formatted discs . . .

DaveM121, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

.gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc

1. .gz file will not transfer to exFAT formatted USB disc - Similar Threads - file transfer exFAT

2. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  3. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...
  4. .gz files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .gz files: Do I need to keep .gz files on windows 10?Taking up much space and date from 12/20 to 12/21. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gz-files/6f757cd6-ee3b-42b6-b5f4-81287e43931a
  5. .gz files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .gz files: Do I need to keep .gz files on windows 10?Taking up much space and date from 12/20 to 12/21. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gz-files/6f757cd6-ee3b-42b6-b5f4-81287e43931a
  6. .gz files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format: I was doing a backup of some files from my laptop to my 1TB USB Drive in exFat format.During the file transfer, the progress suddenly stopped and I got the message "The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired". The file explorer freezed and I was forced the end the process. Then...
  8. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?: I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than 4GB). Formatting to NTFS solved it of course. But I'm curious if, for use as a general USB stick (plugging it into Windows,...
  9. .gz files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .gz files: Hi all, so recently, i upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10, and i want to start a program that can be launch from the launcher. i launch the launcher, but nothing happened and the launcher came back. i contact the developers of the launcher to see why and they said that some...
  10. Prompt to format USB disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prompt to format USB disc: Hi, Windows 10 Pro with all the updates up to November 15, prompts to format my WD Passport Ultra 1TB which is full of valuable data. In Disk Management the USB drive was NTFS and now is RAW I’ve always ejected it properly! I’ve tried the following 1. changed...