Windows 10: hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ?

Discus and support hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This morning I had an email problem using my Outlook app on a Windows 10 desktop. I posted a question in the Email section of this board, titled,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Courtney Wyatt, Jul 22, 2019.

1. hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ?

This morning I had an email problem using my Outlook app on a Windows 10 desktop. I posted a question in the Email section of this board, titled, "mail sent with Outlook disappeared". Within minutes I received a useful response on board from an MVP. A few minutes after that, I received another desktop notice. Thinking the question had another answer, I checked the page but there was not a second answer. I now believe it was deleted immediately after being posted, on the assumption I would see the message via email. There was:

Victoria Scott58 has replied to your question mail sent with Outlook disappeared in Microsoft Community.

Thank You For Posting in Microsoft Community. Call Microsoft Support Ι-888-819-14Ι0 Between 10:00 A M t o 7:00 P M EST . We will Help you to fix your issues.

I now believe that phone number to be part of a scam, so do not call. The two women I spoke to both could have been from India or Pakistan. (Sorry, not enough experience with accents to tell the difference.) My first major clue should have been that someone answered right away, with no voice menu system. She just gathered some basic information and said she would connect me with a support person. After a bit of time she came back and said no one was available right now, but they could call back within 30 minutes. She knew my phone number without me telling her, but I'm not unlisted. So via caller ID they could have figured that out. But at the time, I thought I was speaking to Microsoft, and I thought it natural they would know.

About 30 minutes later, someone indeed called back. She verified some info, and then asked that I install some software on my computer so she could check stuff. I ended up installing something called GoToAssist Customer. (I wish I realized I was being a dumba** at this point...) We did some handshaking to get the app operating and she gave me a code. This gave her the ability to remotely control my computer.

She didn't seem to be focused on my Outlook problem, nor particularly aware that one could run Outlook without having Microsoft Office. But her script seem designed to escalate alarm.

• None of my Internet Services were running!
    • Hackers were already in my computer and had been since May 2018!
    • They couldn't do anything while she was controlling stuff with GoToAssist, but when she stopped, they would begin monitoring me again, waiting to steal valuable information or crash my computer!
    • My virus checker would not function correctly on any version of Windows since 8!
    • For just $195 she would clean my computer and install protection software with 5 months phone support!
    • For just $295 I could get lifetime support, transferable to new computer(s) as I got them!

... By then I'd caught on and asked her how I knew she was from Microsoft. You know what she did? She opened a DOS Window and showed me the Microsoft copyright at the top. She could circle things, and she circled the text that said Microsoft. Okay, I'd shown myself to be ridiculously foolish, but even for me my intelligence was being insulted.

I told her I was not interested and she said bye with no further mention of the Outlook problem this support call was supposed to be about. Apparently GoToAssist would not allow a normal shutdown, so I turned off my desktop via the actual power On/Off button. Once rebooted, I came here to post, and hopefully find out how badly I have skrewed myself.

Quick Scam Fix: When sending a notice from this board, do not send the bodies of messages. Just let the original poster know there has been a response and provide a link to the board. It is a mistake to allow someone to "reply", immediately delete, and still have the target be (now privately) notified what was said.

:)

Courtney Wyatt, Jul 22, 2019

2. Microsoft Account was hacked

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I’m sorry to hear that someone hacked into your Microsoft account.

I understand how frustrating this could be. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to click on the link below for steps to recover your account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-back-blocked-account

Sometimes, you may not receive any notifications if the two steps verification settings is turned off.

Please follow the instructions in the link below and make sure that the setting is turned on.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng1709, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 22, 2019
  4. tmm1225 Win User

hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ?

Microsoft Account was hacked

Original Title: Accessed my account

How cans someone hack into my Microsoft account when I have the two step verification .. that can only be approved from my cell phone?

tmm1225, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ?

1. hacked indirectly via answers.microsoft.com ? - Similar Threads - hacked indirectly via

2. My account got hacked, agent never answer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My account got hacked, agent never answer.: My account got hacked by a russian hacker and changed the email and phone number of my Microsoft account.I tried to recover my account with the form, but I created the account long time ago and I could not answer enough questions to recover my account.In my personal email, I...
  3. My account got hacked, agent never answer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My account got hacked, agent never answer.: My account got hacked by a russian hacker and changed the email and phone number of my Microsoft account.I tried to recover my account with the form, but I created the account long time ago and I could not answer enough questions to recover my account.In my personal email, I...
  4. Fraud on my account via hack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fraud on my account via hack: My microsoft account was hacked on Wednesday 23rd February at 2:34 pm and a fraudulent purchase was made by the hacker for £839.00. I had my wifes paypal as the payment method. So the transaction went through. I reported the crime immediately once manged to regain control of...
  5. Fraud on my account via hack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fraud on my account via hack: My microsoft account was hacked on Wednesday 23rd February at 2:34 pm and a fraudulent purchase was made by the hacker for £839.00. I had my wifes paypal as the payment method. So the transaction went through. I reported the crime immediately once manged to regain control of...
  6. Fraud on my account via hack

7. ca final indirect tax

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ca final indirect tax: ca final indirect tax https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ca-final-indirect-tax/e92f9e52-3611-4605-b54f-28be1879d598
  8. Microsoft answer desk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft answer desk: i am a subscriber. how many computers are covered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-answer-desk/b649c9e4-050c-4942-97dd-70e476a91716
  9. Answers at Microsoft

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Answers at Microsoft: What does locked mean? I'm looking at the lock symbol. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answers-at-microsoft/304fdd7a-07fc-474b-9726-4fd8eea52dae
  10. Hacked via Team Viewer11

Hacked via Team Viewer11: Hi, Well, this just happened... I was playing a game and decided to get something to drink. Closed the game and was upstairs for 1 minute. Got to my computer and someone was remotely on my pc *Eek Team viewer was the culprit. I instantly closed team viewer and got crazy...