Windows 10: Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft...

Discus and support Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Please note that I received a block on my computer today Saturday 5-23-20 that advised Me to call themfrom Microsoft/ Windows and I did then the guy... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by carolmatthies, May 23, 2020.

1. Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft...

Please note that I received a block on my computer today Saturday 5-23-20 that advised Me to call themfrom Microsoft/ Windows and I did then the guy Daniel who could hardly speak English had me hang up and then he called me back so he could verify I was the person who owned the computer. This guy proceeded to advise Me that it would take a payment of $ 200.00 to fix the problem and I said that would NOT happen !

After He was able to get into my computer remotely, I told him that he needed to sigh off from Me and I was going to report this to the Better Business Bureau. He in returned said that he would file a complaint on Me.

The phone number on my caller ID that he called from is 833-610-1234

Now after all of this My computer is just fine and I am able to get into Microsoft Edge without any issues.

Please investigate this phone number !

I did call it back with blocking my phone number and asked the person what company I was talking to ? the guy replied "Microsoft" and I asked if this was the corporate office in Washington state and he said NO he was in Arizona then I proceeded to ask more questions and he hung up on Me

I await some type of response from a legitimate person from Microsoft.

Thank You

Carol

360-658-1009

:)

carolmatthies, May 23, 2020
  2. StuartH Win User

MS Money fails after WINDOWS 10 Install - requires IE 6

After installing Windows 10 and then running MS Money I get a message that MS Money now requires Internet Explorer 6.
    My install of MS Money worked perfectly fine on Windows 8.1 - I really do not want to go back to 8.1.
    Is there a fix for this - I see from other threads that this has been raised however no workable solution has been offered. Any suggestions please?
    Thank You, Stuart H

As a side issue - I just found this on a different site which had positive replies. I'll be trying this later today. (Note this is NOT my suggestion and therefore untested by me
    Follow the steps.

Open Registry Editor (RegEdit).
    Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    In the right pane, look for Version registry value.
    Modify the value date to 9.11.10240.0.

StuartH, May 23, 2020
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Microsoft Phishing Scam

Hacker is too general a term for those who monetize such scams today, the clearer title that people understand is criminal, since that's what they truly are. Hacker can include either white (good) or black(bad) hats as they are called, which is too technical
    a terminology for most to grasp.

Microsoft does a lot to help in protecting their customers online, but unfortunately most people will never see it like they do the popups themselves.

The fight against tech support scams

Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit Newsroom

The other problem is that if Microsoft closes this current and relatively easy to fix ability to display a false message, the scammers will simply move onto another possibly more difficult to recognize or remove type of attack. This trend of attack, block
    and escalate has continued since the criminals began using similar techniques years ago, beginning with thing like fake antivirus, registry cleaning and other false applications.

Also note that these scams don't just target Microsoft, since they include other well known companies like HP, Dell and even Apple, as well as attacking smartphones and other devices by these and other companies. The typical consumer simply doesn't have
    enough different devices by these other manufacturers to experience these or be aware of how widespread they truly are.

The interesting part is that for many computer users, running into one of these scams is an extremely rare if ever occurrence, mostly because they don't frequent the websites or other avenues where these attacks are commonly delivered. Speaking for myself,
    I only recall seeing one or two of these in the normal places I browse, though when I perform relatively extreme testing by browsing in a purposefully dangerous manner, I can experience several in a single session.

That doesn't mean that anyone seeing these is operating dangerously, only that the websites they frequent may contain less protection or vetting of the advertisement networks which are often used to deliver these today.

Rob

Rob Koch, May 23, 2020
  4. Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft...

Microsoft research reveals half UK Millennials lost money to tech scam

I posted about this problem a couple of months ago after my sister in-law lost money to scammers saying they were from Microsoft I did warn her before she was scammed but she still fell for it. Since the 1809 muck up we have been getting calls claiming they are Microsoft engineers saying that they were going to fix the errors in the update it did not take them long to try to work another scam

lawnmower74, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft...

1. Had a hacker today Saturday 5-23-20 try to scam money out of Me to fix My Windows/microsoft... - Similar Threads - hacker today Saturday

2. a hacker is trying to hack me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a hacker is trying to hack me: I Need help I am getting brutforced by some hacker that changes his ip every day he trys to bruteforce me everyday could you please do something about him he tried to hack me like 5 times already i tried to send microsoft a message in their e-mail and it said it is not...
  3. a hacker is trying to hack me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a hacker is trying to hack me: I Need help I am getting brutforced by some hacker that changes his ip every day he trys to bruteforce me everyday could you please do something about him he tried to hack me like 5 times already i tried to send microsoft a message in their e-mail and it said it is not...
  4. Microsoft technician had me use a scam key server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft technician had me use a scam key server: Recently I had trouble activating Windows 11 so I reached out through the MS support callback: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/home/contact I got a call back and waited in a queue and the person on the line said he would need to transfer me to solve the issue. I got...
  5. Microsoft technician had me use a scam key server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft technician had me use a scam key server: Recently I had trouble activating Windows 11 so I reached out through the MS support callback: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/home/contact I got a call back and waited in a queue and the person on the line said he would need to transfer me to solve the issue. I got...
  6. WHY IS MICROSOFT TRYING TO EXTOROT MORE MONEY FROM ME?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WHY IS MICROSOFT TRYING TO EXTOROT MORE MONEY FROM ME?: I bought a new version of Windows 10 from Amazon. I have the receipts to prove it. I installed 2 days ago and today I'm being prompted to buy a license to activate my 1$00.00 purchase that I already PAID FOR. **** MICROSOFT? WHAT BS IS THIS?...
  7. Somebody supposedly from Microsoft scamming me out of money.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Somebody supposedly from Microsoft scamming me out of money.: I recieved an Email saying microsoft was billing me $200.00 for windows defender. I called the 1-800 number listed telling them I did not want it. They went to refund my money and posted $2000.00 to my account as opposed to $200.00. I actually saw it posted. I ended up...
  8. Microsoft give me my money back.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft give me my money back.: I have been charged 100$ for Office 365 that I haven't known about which was food I was going to survive and eat on but it's not important. And I have not been able to get in contact with a single one of you numbskull boneheads at all for the entirety of this ordeal, so I'm...
  9. Windows Update Yesterday 23 Aug 20

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update Yesterday 23 Aug 20: After the update yesterday the PC would not restart and I had to do a reboot and lost all Apps. Now the PC is working but I am unable access any files under "this PC" the files are showing but will not open. Any suggestions?...
  10. Received a call today saying my Microsoft account is expiring today. Is it a scam? First...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Received a call today saying my Microsoft account is expiring today. Is it a scam? First...: How do I find expiration date for MSN email and internet? Received call today service expiring today. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/received-a-call-today-saying-my-microsoft-account/610fe4a4-cee7-44fa-89e4-71a81792dd00