Windows 10: Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...

Discus and support Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I had to do a firmware update for my printer that required turning off firewalls. When I reactivated my Defender firewalls, I started getting popups... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by narwhal73, Feb 1, 2023.

1. narwhal73 Win User

Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...

I had to do a firmware update for my printer that required turning off firewalls. When I reactivated my Defender firewalls, I started getting popups for every single app asking for permission to let it interact on public or private networks. I'd never seen these popups before. Is this normal?

:)

narwhal73, Feb 1, 2023
  2. joelshort Win User

Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list.

From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall". One of the apps in question is already listed and I need to continually enable it through the Public connection. But the rule doesn't stick.

Another app is missing from the list so I manually add it, and things work fine for that session. If I restart the system and go back to these rules, the manually added app is no longer in the list, and the already present app in the list has again reverted to Private only. I have to constantly reset these.

Why won't these apps stick in the allowed apps, and how do I fix it?

joelshort, Feb 1, 2023
  3. Defender Firewall questions

Sorry I was talking about internet networks. It looks like the firewall networks are the opposite. Here's from the settings for internet networks. As you can see it shows the opposite of what your screen clip shows.

I believe you don't want to allow apps to have public access, so I would say select Private.

Internet:

Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never... 339954d1625762704t-defender-firewall-questions-image.png

Firewall:

Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never... 339957d1625762974t-defender-firewall-questions-image.png

Bobby Phoenix, Feb 1, 2023
  4. Mala_S Win User

Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...

Windows Defender Firewall error code 0x800706d9

Hi AnudieKatz.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Since you are facing an issue with the Windows Defender firewall, I would like to ask you few questions to get a better picture.

1. Are you using any other Anti-virus software?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Have you tried installing Picture viewer and Calendar app after it getting uninstalled?

Based on your information, I would like to inform you that if you are using third party anti-virus program Windows defender will automatically turn off from your system you will not able turn it on manually.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1: Check the following services and ensure it is started.

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit Enter.
    3. Search for the following services:
    • Base filtering engine Service
    • Remote Procedure Call Service
    • Windows defender firewall service
    4. Start the above services and reboot the device.

Method 2: I would suggest you to try running the troubleshooter to enable the firewall. Use the below link to run the troubleshooter.

Automatically diagnose and fix problems with Windows Firewall - Microsoft Support

If you are still facing the same issue after following the above steps, revert with the details asked.

Hope it helps.

Mala.S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

1. Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never... - Similar Threads - deactivate reactivate Defender

2. Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...: I had to do a firmware update for my printer that required turning off firewalls. When I reactivated my Defender firewalls, I started getting popups for every single app asking for permission to let it interact on public or private networks. I'd never seen these popups...
  3. Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Had to deactivate then reactivate my Defender firewall, now it questions every app never...: I had to do a firmware update for my printer that required turning off firewalls. When I reactivated my Defender firewalls, I started getting popups for every single app asking for permission to let it interact on public or private networks. I'd never seen these popups...
  4. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reactivate a deactivated HDD: Hello,I wanted to disable my HDD Drive today in order to boost my Computer's performance. I did it too quick and was not really knowing what I'm doing. I followed this guide: Windows + X > Disk Manager > right click on HDD > Properties > Driver tab > Disable Device. There was...
  5. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  6. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  7. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. Windows Defender deactivated and cannot be reactivated

Windows Defender deactivated and cannot be reactivated: Hi,I cannot start my Windows Defender. I just noticed, it was deactivated for reasons unknown to me. As I suspected a virus or malware could be the cause, i checked the system with the Malicious Software Removal tool from Microsoft, but it couldn't find anything. Is the...
  9. Defender Firewall questions

Defender Firewall questions: Hi, As I am not a security expert, please assist me on responding to the below questions: 1. I am mostly and always using my laptop inside my LAN Home network and as you can see, Defender Firewall is set to use Public Network firewall as ACTIVE. Which means my laptop should...
  10. Reactivate deactivated network?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate deactivated network?: Was in my network connections and wanted to change something there (under properties) but I came to disable it and do not know how to enable it again because it is no longer displayed there. If it brings something it was responsible for giving Hotspot. So for my Wlan usb...