Windows 10: Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD

Discus and support Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I had been having nothing but problems with Windows 10 on my gaming laptop, from blue screening when I plugged something into the headphone jack to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CarrotCake29, May 13, 2020.

1. Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD

So I had been having nothing but problems with Windows 10 on my gaming laptop, from blue screening when I plugged something into the headphone jack to suddenly my speakers no longer working I can confidently say Windows 10 is the worst OS on this planet. So I figured a factory reset might help, so I used the built-in file back-up system included with windows 10, then I reset my PC, and after waiting 12 hours I had a fresh laptop, however, no matter what I try, I cannot get my backed-up files onto my computer. They're definitely all there, in a format that makes no sense to me. I hate windows.

:)

CarrotCake29, May 13, 2020
  2. some user Win User

Does Factory Reset Asus Laptop restores Windows 10 S Mode?

I like the idea of S Mode but I need to run some standard application. I searched online and it seems going to S Mode is One-way. However, searching online returns result that going back to S Mode is possible, at least on Surface.

Reinstall Windows 10 Home in S mode on your Surface Go

The instruction is basically restoring factory image, but it needs to be downloaded.

My Asus laptop has a factory reset option. With Windows 10, I am not clear what state it actually restores to. I am wondering if factory reset will restore it back to its S mode condition? If not, I can still try factory reset and make a backup of its partition. But I would rather not as it takes a lot of time.

Also, I suppose restoring a S-Mode backup partition should restore it back to its S-Mode for sure?

some user, May 13, 2020
  3. Win10: "Factory Reset", OOBE & SysPrep with backup/required files?

How do I create an image of a new Windows 10 install, with drivers and custom software, to donate/sell with a nice OOBE?

Alternatively: "Factory Resets" should be done from a local disk image of this Windows 10 - but how do I prevent Windows 10 from prompting with that "Insert Media - Windows requires files to finish resetting" prompt?

The end results I am looking for are:

• Someone to start the machine for the first time, they get OOBE and continue like normal. They end up with Windows 10 with the my custom drivers/software setup and all latest Windows 10 updates completed.
    • Future "Reset my PC" factory reset option restores machine back to exactly the way I gave it to them with custom drivers/software and windows updates.

The "factory resets" will be done completely with the local disk with a hidden backup partition.

I have a few desktops and laptops I've upgraded to Windows 10 over the years. Now, I want to donate/sell them off.

As far as I know, the process starts with:

• Install Windows 10 normally
    • Go into audit mode
    • Install required software / windows updates
    • Sysprep image when finished and shutdown machine

What is not clear is "when" or "how" to take an image of the machine, on local disk, and have it be used by Windows 10 Factory Reset option.

With Windows 7, I previously recall a way to create a local "Disk Image/Backup" that can be used to fully format and restore a machine to factory defaults. E.g., just like Dell and Gateway used to ship machines.

I am not talking about side-loading drivers of Windows media to supply with machines. These machines were all old Windows 7 and 8 machines and obviously their media is outdated (not to mention, highly customized - like the GPUs and Wireless cards I've replaced in the laptops).

Therefore, I will NOT be providing "installation media"; instead, they will get a local disk image that the exact Windows 10 upgraded version that is legal for the machine, preconfigured with the correct drivers and custom software.

"What if the SSD fails? How will they install with no media?" Well then, they can replace it and resolve it themselves. The Windows 10 activation is tied to the machine at that point.

Eric Duncan, May 13, 2020
  4. Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD

Error Code 301 unable to backup files

Hi,

I realize that you are unable to backup files due to error 301. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Are you backing up the files to an external HDD?

• What is the available free space on the external HDD?
    Suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if that helps. A clean boot state will help us to determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD

1. Had to factory reset my Windows 10 laptop, unable to restore files from my backup HDD - Similar Threads - factory reset laptop

2. Restoring a backup after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring a backup after Factory Reset: I recently got stuck in a Windows Recovery loop after uninstalling adware off my computer. I’ve now done a factory reset but before I did, I backed up my personal files and settings to an external hard drive. I can view the files in File Explorer but can’t find a way to...
  3. Factory Reset Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset Backup: Hello! I'm planning on factory resetting/full resetting my computer, resetting all settings and deleting all apps. However, I want to save/back up some apps, but don't have an external drive/usb to spare. Any idea on how I could backup my files? Any answer is appreciated!...
  4. I am unable to factory reset my laptop.

I am unable to factory reset my laptop.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jacky-Mo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ffzevz/i_am_unable_to_factory_reset_my_laptop/
  5. Unable to factory reset my laptop

Unable to factory reset my laptop: So I’ve been trying to factory reset my laptop but every single time, it stops at like 30% or something and brings me to a screen called “choose an option”. One of them is troubleshoot that gives me the option of resetting again but it doesnt work. Another one is continue,...
  6. Factory Resetting my laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Factory Resetting my laptop?: The main issue is that my Lenovo laptop's speakers no longer work because a pseudo-IT Dude at my high school didn't actually know how to fix it and wound up using up even more space on my drive with who knows what. On top of that installed drivers that don't work. So:...
  7. Factory Reset on my windows 10 hp laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Factory Reset on my windows 10 hp laptop: I just bought this laptop & in set up I skipped the password I synced my google acct & got locked out need to reset it plz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-on-my-windows-10-hp-laptop/3077cda5-d090-4198-99e4-de07c2a4a8c1
  8. Factory reset my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory reset my laptop: [IMG]Hey all, I factory reset my laptop because i was going to be selling it to my brother and i wanted eveeytbing cleared off of it. Well, when i went to get it all ready for my brother i figured out im in an endless loop. The computer is telling me that it needs an update...
  9. Unable to factory reset my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to factory reset my PC: The problem Hi guys, I know this question's been resolved thousands of times and there's hundreds of threat, however, that being said, I have searched for a solution for around a month now and still haven't found one. My computers around 5 years old, however I have only been...
  10. Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop: I was having keyboard problems with my Lenovo Flex 5. It was still under warranty so I sent the laptop back to Lenovo at their request. Before I sent it to them I ran a backup to an external hard drive. The files are located in a file labeled "File History". They sent me a...