Windows 10: had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv)

Discus and support had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am having this problem with windows explorer. Only with media files, *.mp4 and recently *.mkv are affected, too, I cannot do anything to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DapidCand, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DapidCand Win User

had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv)

Hi,

I am having this problem with windows explorer.

Only with media files, *.mp4 and recently *.mkv are affected, too, I cannot do anything to the files. If I want to rename, move or delete them, I have to go to Safe Mode. In Safe Mode there is no problem at all.

What should I do to make my Windows normal again?

Thank you,

:)

DapidCand, Feb 18, 2019
  2. Huston Win User

Convert mkv with softsubs to mp4 with hardsubs

I have difficulty playing mkvs as they don't stream to my bluray nor play on Windows Media Center (homemade dvr). I can convert to mp4 and change eac3 to aac so everything I have can play the file but if the mkv has subs, they don't show up. I've tried to convert from subrip to mov_text but my players don't even see the stream. So, I need to convert softsubs to hardsubs. Most info I see out there seems to tell me how to combine a video with an external srt file. I may give up and extract the subtitle track and then merge but I'd rather skip the extra step and convert the internal softsub to hardsub. How do I do that? I have a batch file that works for most things... what do I need to add to get it to work?
    for %i in (*.mkv) do (ffmpeg -i "%i" -acodec aac -vcodec copy "%~ni".mp4)
    -scodec?? -vf subtitles=??

Huston, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Mathragh Win User
    mp4 H264 or mkv H264?

iirc, mkv gives you more flexibility in choosing different kinds of things you put into the file, like other codecs, and things like subtitles. For quality, it all depends on the sort of codec and quality settings you use.
    If you configure mkv the same way as you do MP4, they will give you exactly the same output.

I prefer mp4 over mkv myself, since I usually leave everything at their defaults, and because our PS3 wont recognise MKV files.

Mathragh, Feb 18, 2019
  4. had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv)

mp4 H264 or mkv H264?

The simple overview, MP4 was designed as a generic wrapper. It does most common encoding types, and plays on almost all modern devices.

MKV was designed as a very specific wrapper. It is far broader on what encoded material it can contain, and is designed for good subtitle compatibility. The reason for MKV is, in a broad sense, anime. MKV wrappers allow a diverse amount of subtitling (for subtitling groups), but it plays on less devices.

Generic DVD rips, go MP4. If you're only going to be playing files on a computer then MKV offers more flexibility.

lilhasselhoffer, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv)

1. had to use safe mode to rename, delete or move media files (*.mp4, *.mkv) - Similar Threads - safe mode rename

2. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I tried:- Uninstalling...
  3. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  4. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  5. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  6. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  7. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail issue (mp4/mkv): Greetings, Since the new update of this week I am experiencing some issues regarding thumbnails of mp4 and mkv files. When I download or create new files the thumbnail of the new file will not work and show as the default pictogram instead (even if the thumbnail is custom...
  9. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  10. Safe File RENAMER

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe File RENAMER: I am looking for a file renamer that I maybe install and it allows me to right click on a folder and rename files. Im looking for one that does not say "use at your own risk!" I see there are posts but many are older - . Thank you ! 173400

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cannot move mkv files

2. rename move mkv files