Windows 10: Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash?

Discus and support Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I've owned GTA5 for a few weeks, but starting on the 10th, randomly while playing, my game froze (sound still played), and a small directx window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BinaryGreen, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash?

So I've owned GTA5 for a few weeks, but starting on the 10th, randomly while playing, my game froze (sound still played), and a small directx window popped up saying my display driver had crashed. I closed the box, and the game quit. Apparently the game crash was caused by nvlddmkm.sys.

Yesterday at 4:00 AM, also playing in GTA5, my game froze, and the sound stopped. My entire PC was frozen (as I couldn't alt+tab out or ctrl+alt+del) and a minute later of trying to close GTA5, my computer restarted, none of my USB (or monitor) devices worked, and had to be re-plugged back in upon reboot. I actually did not see a BSOD, but BlueScreenView did report it as one (I'll get to that later).

Specs:

N850EP6 laptop

Windows 10 Home, Version 1903

16 GB RAM

i7-8750H

GTX 1060 6GB (latest update)

I've saw on Reddit that someone owning a HyperX Cloud headset experienced this same exact issue. This was found in EventViewer:

Critical error, DriverFrameworks-UserMode (Event 10110):

<Event xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event[/URL]">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2e35aaeb-857f-4beb-a418-2e6c0e54d988}" />

<EventID>10110</EventID>

<Version>1</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>64</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-12T08:02:14.420966500Z" />

<EventRecordID>5006</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="544" ThreadID="1092" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer></Computer>

</System>

- <UserData>

- <UMDFHostProblem xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event[/URL]">

<LifetimeId>{fed7142f-53ac-44eb-9fb0-abf94a008da3}</LifetimeId>

<Problem>3</Problem>

<DetectedBy>2</DetectedBy>

<ActiveOperation>3</ActiveOperation>

<ExitCode>259</ExitCode>

<Message>72448</Message>

<Status>4294967295</Status>

</UMDFHostProblem>

</UserData>

At the time of the crash, event 10111 was also generated:

Critical error, DriverFrameworks-UserMode (Event 10111):

<Event xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event[/URL]">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2e35aaeb-857f-4beb-a418-2e6c0e54d988}" />

<EventID>10111</EventID>

<Version>1</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>64</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-12T08:01:12.564101100Z" />

<EventRecordID>4985</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="544" ThreadID="1092" />

<Computer></Computer>

</System>

- <UserData>

- <UmdfDeviceOffline xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event[/URL]">

<LifetimeId>{87054ad2-ca6b-4ae7-ab0c-1730ab40e2b8}</LifetimeId>

<FriendlyName>HID-compliant headset</FriendlyName>

<Location>(unknown)</Location>

<InstanceId>HID\VID_1532&PID_0504&MI_03&COL02\7&2B481298&0&0001</InstanceId>

<RestartCount>5</RestartCount>

</UmdfDeviceOffline>

</UserData>

</Event>

This is where the other person with the headset comes in. Even though I own a Razer headset, he had the same issue, an "HID-compliant headset" causing the issue. It wasn't like I was "idling" the headset and playing GTA5 without any sound, there was plenty of sound, and I'm not sure how that crashed my PC. Also, another event was generated at the same time:

Critical error, Kernel-Power (Event 41):

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>6</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-12T08:00:03.348474400Z" />

<EventRecordID>4929</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Computer></Computer>

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">132073919760061089</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

It's weird because the first time it appeared to be a GFX-related crash, now this appears to be more of an either USB-interface-related or driver-related crash, though it could still be GFX. This so far has only happened in GTA5, and not other games I'm playing (though it may just be luck) or while doing non-game things.

The BlueScreenView dump is interesting because the things it blamed seem to correlate to the idea that it's possibly hardware / driver related (most likely driver). It seems to be caused by hal.dll, but also ntoskrnl.exe.

BlueScreenView Dump:

Log.txt - Google Drive

I've also included a DxDiag log, because it might have some useful stuff at the bottom:

DxDiag:

[URL unfurl="true"]https://drive.google.com/file/d/16pioFeFmtr8xBWytV_d6fZVV4xgtoXFt/view?usp=sharing[/URL]

Precautions Taken / Things I've Done Since:

Updated all drivers, including GFX card, Razer Synapse (allows lightning and customization on keyboard, mouse, and headset)
    Ran memtest, came back with no problems
    Ran dxdiag with no problems (except for the ones in the actual log, not the program itself)
    Ran chkdsk /r on both OS and secondary drive
    Checked Reliability Monitor for unreported errors
    Uninstalled 2 updates for Windows 1903 (because I hadn't come across any crashes prior to installing them on 7/10, the first day my game crashed)
    Disabled all bluetooth devices and all other sound devices besides my headset
    Ran the Windows audio troubleshooter (with no solution)
    Ran sfc /scannow, DISM (checkhealth, scanhealth, and repairhealth), and was able to repair corrupted files. However, the CBS.log only found some Windows Defender files corrupted, which is probably unrelated.

I'm afraid that this problem might eventually spread to other demanding games (though I haven't tested any others equally as demanding), and I really hope someone could help me with this.

:)

BinaryGreen, Jul 13, 2019
  2. sourpatch Win User

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR 0x00000124 [hal.dll] [ntoskrnl.exe]

Hello zbook and thank you!

1). My system successfully created another dump file (usually it would hang): Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

2). I uninstalled all AMD related software and gpu drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller. I was able to reinstall just the AMD gpu driver by extracting the software package and obtaining the driver folder with 7zip.

3). I ran both sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. No errors found on either scan. I could not post a picture because the command prompt window would immediately close after the test was finished.

4). Bios is up to date.

5). I reset Bios.

6). Prime95 would freeze my pc everytime between 20-30min into test. CPU temps topped out at 70c average.

Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash? [​IMG]

7). Ran memtest86+ for 15 hours and made 11 passes with no errors.

8). HD Sentinel results were good:

9). chkdsk results:

10). Typical temps for my PC.
    • A). Idle Temps:

• B). Temps after 20 min of gaming:

11). I will be running FurMark tonight and will monitor temps.

12). Updated my personal Ten Forums System Specs as well.

sourpatch, Jul 13, 2019
  3. sourpatch Win User
    sourpatch, Jul 13, 2019
  4. TSX420J Win User

Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash?

TSX420J, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash?

1. Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe driver related crash? - Similar Threads - Hal dll ntoskrnl

2. Exe related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe related: Can you tell me what is ztool.exe and will it harm my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-related/4b13d815-837c-4637-b54d-284885fb62ee
  3. Exe related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exe related: Can you tell me what is ztool.exe and will it harm my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-related/4b13d815-837c-4637-b54d-284885fb62ee
  4. Sporadic driver-related crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sporadic driver-related crashes: I recently used the Driver Verifier tool to find my logs, here's the OneDrive link https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtE-rNGreGSZhha25snAAvNUZ_az?e=M00aha https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sporadic-driver-related-crashes/77145cca-e16a-4847-9abf-b2c9525785e5
  5. Crashes related to graphics drivers

Crashes related to graphics drivers: Hello, For some time I've been having problems with games crashing and my pc crashing. Initially I only crashed while playing Path of Exile and the crashes were pretty infrequent. The error in the event viewer was "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has...
  6. Fifa4launcher application crashes related to kernel32.dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fifa4launcher application crashes related to kernel32.dll: I am experiencing Fifa4launcher appcrahes in my Windows 10 Pro laptop, I am working the following configuration: Laptop : Thinkpad t495 Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 20H2. I was installed application from https://fo4.garena.vn/tai-game. when I run program...
  7. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  8. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  9. BSOD playing overwatch ntoskrnl related?

BSOD playing overwatch ntoskrnl related?: Hello, I recently got a new graphics card, as well as upgrading my OS to windows ten. However before and after these actions I receive various BSODs but only while playing Overwatch. Looking into it they seem to be related to the ntoskrnl.exe process, but I may be...
  10. NTOSKRNL Crash

NTOSKRNL Crash: Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my computer randomly shutting off (when I am not near the computer). My PC almost almost posts a BSOD when I manually restart or shutdown the computer. I have checked the dump logs, which point back to ntoskrnl.exe as the problem. I...