Windows 10: Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional

Discus and support Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hope someone can help me. Half my shortcuts on my desktop are dim but mostly are accessible. Some are just short cuts to folders and they work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pigseye2, Jun 13, 2019.

1. pigseye2 Win User

Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional

Hope someone can help me.

Half my shortcuts on my desktop are dim but mostly are accessible. Some are just short cuts to folders and they work. Others are short cuts to programs and they seem ok too.

Tried to install Windows 10 updates and it crashed and it reverted to pre update setup.

CMD prompt won't start so i can't run DISM and SFC to check file integrity in this profile.

Went to another user profile on the same machine and was able to run command prompt and then ran DISM and SFC and no integrity errors were found.

Tried Restore and it crashed saying a recovery file is not accessible. Only one restore point is available and I used to have several.

Tried to reset the PC and it won't run either.

Any suggestions besides a clean reinstall of Windows 10?

My PC:
    Windows 10 home 64 bit on intel celeron PC with an RX580 video card. Windows installation is on a 240GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive also installed for storage.

Thanks

:)

pigseye2, Jun 13, 2019

2. [N900] Shortcuts disappear and not restorable

I stumbled upon a weird problem on my N900 lately. I have finished updating some applications, such as fMMS and the IM-conversation plugins, and afterwards, half of my widgets and shortcuts were gone. I was able to restore them, put I am unable to restore
    my "Calculator" shortcut. The program is normally listed in the menu, but it does not appear in the shortcut list when editing the desktop.

Any thoughts?

Robert

maniac_2k---01, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional

1. Half my desktop shortcuts are dim, CMD, Restore, and Reset are all nonfunctional - Similar Threads - Half desktop shortcuts

2. Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear: I just got back home and all of my desktop shortcuts except for a few of them had disappeared I don't understand why I need help please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whyd-all-my-desktop-shortcuts-disapear/5abf6f5c-f58d-4eed-96bc-6c84d4aa40d0
  3. Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear: I just got back home and all of my desktop shortcuts except for a few of them had disappeared I don't understand why I need help please! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whyd-all-my-desktop-shortcuts-disapear/5abf6f5c-f58d-4eed-96bc-6c84d4aa40d0
  4. Why'd all my desktop shortcuts disapear

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. softwares suddenly kind of reset themself and my desktop shortcuts all gone?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    softwares suddenly kind of reset themself and my desktop shortcuts all gone?: my laptop was fine the whole time i turn it on, i was doing some work on my chrome for hours so i just didnt check my desktop during that time there was nothing unsual along those time but when i was just finished doing my work i was trying to search my game but instead of...
  6. softwares suddenly kind of reset themself and my desktop shortcuts all gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    softwares suddenly kind of reset themself and my desktop shortcuts all gone?: my laptop was fine the whole time i turn it on, i was doing some work on my chrome for hours so i just didnt check my desktop during that time there was nothing unsual along those time but when i was just finished doing my work i was trying to search my game but instead of...
  7. softwares suddenly kind of reset themself and my desktop shortcuts all gone?

8. half of my screen on my windows 10 is dimmed

in Windows 10 Customization
    half of my screen on my windows 10 is dimmed: when I turned on my computer half of my screen was dimmed and I don't know what happened I've been trying to fix it for over 2 hours now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/half-of-my-screen-on-my-windows-10-is-dimmed/1e4eeef2-c625-4090-91dd-c2906052d517
  9. Restore shortcuts to the desktop

Restore shortcuts to the desktop: I have lost the desktop displayed shortcut to an application. How do I restore the application shortcut to my desktop? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-shortcuts-to-the-desktop/fde96fcc-1954-4ffc-924f-aaa49d2912da
  10. shortcut settings are dimmed

in Windows 10 Support
    shortcut settings are dimmed: Hi, I'm trying to change a program shortcut settings. however, when I go to the Advanced Properties, the options are grayed out. Any ideas? 64796

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 desktop icons are dim