Windows 10: Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep

Discus and support Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Since the school year started, I created a separate Google Chrome user from my Uni account, installed Google Drive Stream, One Drive, MS teams and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ristiel, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep

Since the school year started, I created a separate Google Chrome user from my Uni account, installed Google Drive Stream, One Drive, MS teams and downloaded Office 365 (activated with my uni mail).

After this, a couple of my keyboard keys started malfunctioning (first was the left shift key). It made noise as I was activating hot keys but multiple beeps. Then I noticed the same with the delete button and a couple of letters.

ex: While typing, instead of inserting the selected character I just hear a beep, and the next letter in the word in written. When I write "computer" with the "t" letter corrupted, I just get "compuer" written on my screen with one or several beeps when the letter "t" should've been written. I can't deduct how the number of beeps is tied to the stroke of a key.

ex2: When I try to write a word with a corrupted letter appearing multiple times, I may get it once. Writing "starting" would either result with "sarting" "staring" or "saring", beeping included.

Since i have dual boot (Linux Mint) I went there to check it out, but all of my keys work perfectly fine.

I came back to Windows and the beeping continued. Sometimes I get lucky and a random corrupted keys work just fine but for a couple of seconds.

I checked up my keyboard driver and looks like it is updated. I'm losing more and more keys each day.

I tried shutting down and going to Mint, but the Mint logo just keeps blinking and it can't boot Mint now.

I tried using virtual keyboard on windows, works just fine.

Is this software or hardware problem?

I'm using Lenovo B590 B960 laptop (7 or 8 years old laptop). Could this be due to expanded hardware lifetime? Any help is appreciated.

submitted by /u/ristiel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ristiel, Oct 4, 2020

2. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Keyboard charachters don´t match

How to correct keyboard charachters if language region does match correct keyboard but charachters still don´t.

RodrigoIzquierdo, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep

1. Half my keyboard keys don't work, they just beep - Similar Threads - Half keyboard keys

2. My keyboard is half working, and keys register completely different things

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard is half working, and keys register completely different things: When I press "A", it writes "a" and also opens the screenshot. "B", nothing. "C" is normal. "D" is normal. "E", it writes "e" and also opens the "Project" options "F", writes "vf" "G" writes "gı" "Ğ" is normal. "H" doesn't work "I" doesn't work "İ" is normal. "J" doesn't...
  3. Half of my Keyboard stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Half of my Keyboard stopped working: The right half of my keyboard suddenly stopped working this morning. Some keys on the right are still working but the majority aren't.I went to Device manager -> view -> show hidden devices and the hidden HID Keyboard device had a code 45 error device disconnected.First, I...
  4. Half of my Keyboard stopped working

Half of my Keyboard stopped working: The right half of my keyboard suddenly stopped working this morning. Some keys on the right are still working but the majority aren't.I went to Device manager -> view -> show hidden devices and the hidden HID Keyboard device had a code 45 error device disconnected.First, I...
  5. My keyboard Keys don't work!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard Keys don't work!: I have a Rog Strix gaming laptop, I've only noticed this problem consisting recently starting 3 days ago. I'm having trouble with seeing if the problem resides with my laptop keyboard or the os. The Key I have trouble using s, w, x, z, as well as my esc button. and probably...
  6. My keyboard Keys don't work!

My keyboard Keys don't work!: I have a Rog Strix gaming laptop, I've only noticed this problem consisting recently starting 3 days ago. I'm having trouble with seeing if the problem resides with my laptop keyboard or the os. The Key I have trouble using s, w, x, z, as well as my esc button. and probably...
  7. Some keyboard keys don't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some keyboard keys don't work: Hi again!I needed to create a new account since I couldn't manage to login with the previous one.Anyhow.My laptop is a Lenovo 330-15ARR. It's some time that the following problem happens:These keys don't work all the time: 4 5 R T F G V B. Others are fine.When they don't work...
  8. Some keyboard keys don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some keyboard keys don't work: Hi again!I needed to create a new account since I couldn't manage to login with the previous one.Anyhow.My laptop is a Lenovo 330-15ARR. It's some time that the following problem happens:These keys don't work all the time: 4 5 R T F G V B. Others are fine.When they don't work...
  9. Some keyboard keys don't work

10. Beeping key on keyboard!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Beeping key on keyboard!: Hi, everything was fine yesterday until today that I noticed that when I clicked the letter "m" makes a beeping noise... it's only this key that makes the noise. I have sticky keys turned off and I went to easy of access and disabled the noise, but it's still doing it. I also...