Windows 10: Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

Discus and support Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by jamieburchell, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is "Jamie" and my profile folder shares the same name. I do not sign in to Windows with my Microsoft account username and password nor am I given the option to. As far as I can tell I'm using a local administrator account.

However, when looking at the "Your Info" settings page, my Microsoft Email address is shown under my name "Jamie". I am not given the option to sign in with a Microsoft account instead and instead have the option to manage which apps are automatically signed in to. I have my Microsoft account listed in Email and Apps, I'm signed in through OneDrive, Office 365 and Apps. Under license activation it says "Activated with a digital license associated with your Microsoft Account".

This is actually how I want it - I want my username to be Jamie and a local password to make it easier to login to SMB shares on a NAS. I just cant figure out how I have the license associated with my Microsoft account AND am signing in to a local account, which has my Microsoft account email address.

How have I managed to do that?

On another Windows 10 Pro device I'm unable to achive the same. That is, I can either have a local account or a Microsoft account - not this strange hybrid - and I can't store my license for this installation in my Microsoft account.

:)

jamieburchell, Mar 20, 2021

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Mindweaver, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account? [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

1. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account? - Similar Threads - Halfway between Local

2. Local account and Microsoft account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Local account and Microsoft account: Hi, I recently switched my windows 10 computer from the Microsoft account to a local account. Since I have no use for the "Microsoft account", that is the Microsoft account online to which my windows 10 is connected, can I delete the Microsoft account? I don't use any...
  3. Local Account / Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local Account / Microsoft Account: I have a desktop & a laptop and on both the devices I have logged in with my Microsoft account, but unlike my desktop when I login to my laptop, it makes me sign with a password not a pin which I had setup myself in Settings>Sign-in options>Password. To remove this I simply...
  4. Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?: Im trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of relevant tutorials, but Im still confused about certain basic matters. 1. Does an Administrator who is set up as a Local...
  5. Local account to microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Local account to microsoft account?: So my microsft account is linked with a activated windows theres no problem with that. I built a pc and before installing windows with a local account i have some question. I know you can log in with your microsoft account after seting it up with a local account but will the...
  6. Microsoft account or local account ?

Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  7. Microsoft account or local account ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  8. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

Caught between local and Microsoft accounts: One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts. 1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or "Sign in with a local account instead" option under Settings/Accounts/Your info. This page shows my local account name,...
  9. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows: I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local account, it indicated my original...
  10. local account/Microsoft account

local account/Microsoft account: I have been using Windows 10 for about a week. I set up two accounts - one administrator, the other regular user. When attempting to update Windows 10, I got a message saying because I did not login a Microsoft account, some updates couldn't be downloaded. So, I had to create...