Windows 10: Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10

Discus and support Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Remember Windows Vista? It was the first version of Microsoft’s desktop operating system to support gadgets. The desktop gadgets allowed users to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 20, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10

Remember Windows Vista? It was the first version of Microsoft’s desktop operating system to support gadgets. The desktop gadgets allowed users to browse e-commerce sites, check weather forecasts, and get the latest news and reviews on their desktop.

Windows Vista’s sidebar gadgets feature has been discontinued, but it appears that Microsoft hasn’t given up on the idea yet.

Microsoft is working on Chromium Edge-powered web widgets for Windows 10 and it will initially bring the latest news to your desktop while also offering you a quick way to check the weather forecast without opening a browser.

Edge’s web widget is based on Chromium WebView and it can float over your desktop and other apps, as shown in the screenshot below.

Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 Floating-web-widget.jpg

The web widget looks like a little button that appears at the right-hand side of the desktop and running apps. If you click on the floating icon, a small Edge-powered window will open with a Bing search bar, weather forecast top headlines, and finance feed.

The best part? It works even when Microsoft Edge is not actively running in the background.

Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 Edge-web-widget.gif

It’s entirely powered by MSN and Bing News, which means you can get personalized news suggestions by configuring the MSN feed linked to your Microsoft account.

The idea is that this web widget will deliver a selection of headlines, weather, and finance to save you from needing to pull that information up. Widget is a concept that Android users will be familiar with as Google’s operating system employ a similar feature for the home screen.

Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 Edge-widget.jpg

If you like a news story, you can click on it to open that webpage in Microsoft Edge. You can also react to the news and clicking the ‘…’ button to get “more stories like this” or “fewer stories like this.”

If you don’t like the whole idea of web widgets then you don’t have to worry as the feature is completely optional and it will work only when you launch it via Edge’s menu.

Microsoft is also planning to push the news feed idea via Windows 10’s taskbar “news and interests” feature, which is arriving later this year.

The post Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 20, 2021

2. Use desktop Widgets on Windows 10?

How do you suggest to add widgets/gadgets from Win7 on Windows 10?
    I found many solutions, but what is the better one?

Siegfriedm, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Recommended desktop calendar widget for Windows?

I use Todo Agenda on my Android phone, which is a widget that you can add to your home screen that brings together various calendars into one list (color-coded).Is there anything similar for Windows 10?I would like it on my desktop, similar to a sticky note or a weather widget, rather than a full program/app.

King Mustard, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10

Widgets being used as new advertising platform

Now that both Mac OS X and Windows Vista have widgets, or cool little gadgets you can spread around your desktop, ad companies have decided to try their hand at widgets. These ad-widgets would probably be put into a widget that actually does something, such as check facebook/myspace/sports statistics. Whether or not these advertisements would actually do anything would be hard to determine, considering tracking these widgets would be extremely illegal.

Source: The Inquirer

zekrahminator, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10

1. Hands-on with Edge-powered desktop widget for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hands Edge powered

2. Edge Widget vs News & Interests

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Widget vs News & Interests: Here is a look at BOTH Edge Widget & News & Interests. N&I attached to taskbar. Widget can be anywhere & size-variable; can also be horizontal. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Cheers, Drew[ATTACH]...
  3. Enable or Disable Web Widget of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Web Widget of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: Microsoft constantly provides new updates and features to improve things for its users. One such great service that has been newly added by Microsoft is the Web Widget feature. This service allows you to have direct access to the Bing search. It will show you the latest news...
  4. calendar widget for desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    calendar widget for desktop: As the title says, is there any way I can show my day's or week's schedule from either google calendar or outlook calendar on my windows 10 desktop? submitted by /u/saifprints [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kregkz/calendar_widget_for_desktop/
  5. Outlook Calendar Widget for Desktop

Outlook Calendar Widget for Desktop: Does something like this exist? Is it already built within the outlook calender software? I have seen many options like this for phones, but not for a PC yet. I want a window, very similar to a weather widget/notes on PC that will display my calendar on the desktop....
  6. Anyway to use Windows 10 tiles as desktop widgets?

Anyway to use Windows 10 tiles as desktop widgets?: Such an option would make them at least somewhat useful. submitted by /u/kyuriousMind [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehzejj/anyway_to_use_windows_10_tiles_as_desktop_widgets/
  7. Recommended desktop calendar widget for Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommended desktop calendar widget for Windows?: I use Todo Agenda on my Android phone, which is a widget that you can add to your home screen that brings together various calendars into one list (color-coded).Is there anything similar for Windows 10?I would like it on my desktop, similar to a sticky note or a weather...
  8. Windows 10 desktop widget

Windows 10 desktop widget: Is it possible to add desktop widget in windows 10 like android widget? I was in need of showing countdown of a event somedays latter. I wanted it to be always in front of my eyes. I easily found it on my android But I found none for windows 10. So I was thinking of making...
  9. Hands-on with the early features of Microsoft Chromium Edge on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Hands-on with the early features of Microsoft Chromium Edge on Windows 10: Microsoft has been working on a new version of Edge browser based on Chromium open source project and the browser is slowly getting ready for public beta testing. The shift to Chromium promises big improvements to Edge, including support for a wide range of extensions,...
  10. Use desktop Widgets on Windows 10?

Use desktop Widgets on Windows 10?: How do you suggest to add widgets/gadgets from Win7 on Windows 10? I found many solutions, but what is the better one? 60679

Users found this page by searching for:

1. embed web widget edge