Windows 10: Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more

Discus and support Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft’s plan for Windows 10X development had already been derailed in 2020, but now it looks like the company is finally ready to launch the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jan 14, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more

Microsoft’s plan for Windows 10X development had already been derailed in 2020, but now it looks like the company is finally ready to launch the operating system. That means we’ll have to wait until Spring 2021 before we can see the OS on an actual device from Microsoft partners, such as Dell and Lenovo.

As we move closer to the launch, we keep getting glimpses and teasers of what the future might look like for Windows. Today, we got hands-on time with the latest RTM candidate for Windows 10X, which was leaked online earlier today.

The very first thing you do upon booting Windows 10X is creating a Microsoft account if you don’t have one already. In Windows 10X, Microsoft account is a requirement and users cannot configure a local account.

1 of 3
    Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-10X-region-582x420.jpg
    Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-10X-OOBE-loading-567x420.jpg
    Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-10X-OOBE-572x420.jpg

Once signed-in, the world of Windows 10X is now open to you with a blank desktop, a centred taskbar with three different sizes: small, medium and large.

Windows 10X uses components from both web and WinUI, which makes the operating system look overly different compared to the current Windows 10 experience. For example, Action Center has been completely redesigned in Windows 10X.

New Action Center in Windows 10X

Microsoft has also removed ‘system tray’ from the taskbar and Action Center can now be used to change the volume and brightness.

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-Action-Center.jpg

Volume and brightness controls are at the top, while the quick settings for Bluetooth, WiFi and Power are in the middle, which you can customize by right-clicking on the icon.

The approach is very much like ChromeOS and Microsoft has also removed the legacy components from Windows 7-era. This means you cannot access the Registry Editor, Group Policy Editor, Control Panel, Windows Run and Task Manager too.

File Explorer

With Windows 10X, Microsoft is developing a new modern File Explorer and it appears to be based on React Native. By default, File Explorer has been designed for browsing your OneDrive files, but you can also browse your local storage, and sync files between your local and online storage.

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more New-File-Explorer.jpg

The new File Explorer looks familiar because it’s based on the OneDrive website and it uses web components with Windows 10 integration.

Consistent design language

The entire UI is designed from the ground up and Microsoft is maintaining a single consistent design language across the operating system.

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-10X-app-switch.jpg

It’s also full of round corners and web controls, which means you’re going to find visual appealing Fluent Design on the Start Menu and Action Center.

Goodbye live tiles

Live Tiles have been a part of the Windows desktop experience since Windows 8 and Windows 10X has now proclaimed the death of Live Tiles in favour of static icons.

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more Windows-10X-Start-Screen.jpg

Start Menu in Windows 10X is similar to Microsoft Launcher for Android and it will display app icons in a clean way.

You can still customize the Start menu and browse the all apps list.

The post Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jan 14, 2021
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Disable Action Center in Windows 7?

Unfortunately that doesn't disable Action Center, all it does it cause Acution Center to bitch about the Security Center service not running.

Action Center seems to be a different beast from Security Center...

And telling it to not display any messages gets it out of the way, the same way disabling the icon in the suggestions above does, but Action Center is still enabled and running.

newtekie1, Jan 14, 2021
  3. taward Win User
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

Device: Surface Pro 4

Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail.
    Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or swipe from the right and Start Menu will not respond to task bar click or keyboard button.

Troubleshooting:
    • I have done several SFC scans (the first few found stuff and repaired it and subsequent runs find nothing)
    • I've done the DISM image restore health hocus pocus to no avail.
    • I've executed "Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }" in an elevated powershell. This works, until it doesn't.
    EDIT: Nothing is working now for troubleshooting. Going to try a restart and see how long until it happens again.

​None of these are permanent solutions. Any ideas as what is causing this and how to stop it from happening?

taward, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more

For a new user account, there's no start menu and no action center

When I create a new user account and sign in to it:

• Nothing happens when I left-click or right-click the Start button--no menu at all.
    • When I try to open the Action Center, nothing happens; it won't open.

So, the new user account is unusable.

This happens when logging in to any new user account I create, not just a particular one.

Could someone please help?

Thank you.

Judy Lemke, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more

1. Hands-on with Windows 10X: New Action Center, Start Menu and more - Similar Threads - Hands 10X Action

2. Windows 10X New Start Menu and Settings App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10X New Start Menu and Settings App: Hello Microsoft Community! I have windows 10 but I want get windows 10X new start menu on windows 10. I can't get windows 10X because it's an old device. If that works it would be awesome if not it's ok. Another thing is because windows 10X is most good windows I'm trying to...
  3. A closer look at Microsoft’s new Action Center on Windows 10X

in Windows 10 News
    A closer look at Microsoft’s new Action Center on Windows 10X: The leaked build of Windows 10X shows that the operating system will redesign the Action Center, Start Menu and Taskbar for single-screen PCs. On Windows 10X, Action Center has been specially crafted to power all form factors, including foldable, single-screen PCs and...
  4. Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be

Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be: Even after turning on "Transparency effects", the Start menu, taskbar and Action Center are not as transparent as they should be like the other ones on the internet. Even the Colors tab preview under Personalisation shows a more transparent start menu. There is a difference...
  5. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  6. A closer look at the new Start menu on Windows 10X

in Windows 10 News
    A closer look at the new Start menu on Windows 10X: On October 2, Microsoft announced Windows 10X for dual-screen and folding devices like Surface Neo. According to Microsoft, the OS is based on Windows 10 and it comes with a series of user-interface changes, including a new Start that offers less cluttered experience....
  7. Hands-on with the new Start menu in Windows 10 20H1

in Windows 10 News
    Hands-on with the new Start menu in Windows 10 20H1: Microsoft’s accidental release of an untested Windows 10 preview update to the Insiders revealed a new Start menu. The Start menu in the leaked build lacks Live Tiles and it could be part of the new experience that Microsoft has been preparing for Windows Lite, a...
  8. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...
  9. Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning: Hello. This issue just started yesterday and I have done everything I could think of to solve it with no luck. After several hours of trouble shooting, I did narrow down the issue, but can't make sense of it. I have windows 10 pro and have updated all the drivers to the most...
  10. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...