Windows 10: Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

Discus and support Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RobertChettleburgh, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and lasts for 5-10 seconds when it does.The hang occurs whether a file is selected or the popup is closed without selecting one.I've tried `Sfc /ScanNow` and `Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth` as per other suggestiongs with issues with explorer.Any suggestions welcome

:)

RobertChettleburgh, Jan 13, 2023
  2. SarahKong Win User

File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Jan 13, 2023
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows Explorer stop interacting with Windows

Hi Rupanjan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the file explorer stops responding. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise when some of the Windows components or applications gets corrupted. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under process tab, locate Windows Explorer.
    • Right Click Windows Explorer and select End Task.
    • Now select on File tab and click Run Task.
    • Type explorer.exe and press ok.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    perform SFC scan and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

• Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Jan 13, 2023
  4. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 13, 2023
Thema:

Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

1. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file - Similar Threads - Hang processes interact

2. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  3. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files: Since the latest windows updates windows explorer is crashing constantly when I select or open an image or audio file. I disabled all non Microsoft services, deactivated all AutoStart programs, and deactivated non Microsot Shell extensions using Shexview.exe. I also used...
  4. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files: Since the latest windows updates windows explorer is crashing constantly when I select or open an image or audio file. I disabled all non Microsoft services, deactivated all AutoStart programs, and deactivated non Microsot Shell extensions using Shexview.exe. I also used...
  5. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.I was interacting with a .mp4 file, and decided to scan it with Malwarebytes.Due to this, explorer restarted due to some issue which I don't know why.This has happened twice and before I installed a .exe that was malware but didn't run...
  7. Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files

Explorer Crashing when Interacting with Files: Hello! I hope you are having a nice day.I was interacting with a .mp4 file, and decided to scan it with Malwarebytes.Due to this, explorer restarted due to some issue which I don't know why.This has happened twice and before I installed a .exe that was malware but didn't run...
  8. Files explorer not responding when i interact with files

Files explorer not responding when i interact with files: I was downloading files for work as usual, went to extract the zip file but the second i clicked on it the entire files explorer just stops responding and hits me with the blue circle. It takes far too long and i end the task with task manager. After that my whole desktop...
  9. File explorer hangs when I select a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when I select a folder: submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/
  10. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails: Hi, Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens, I can't do...