Windows 10: Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10?

Discus and support Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey, everybody. I set up a PC with 2x SSD and a HDD. The SSDs are Linux Manjaro and Win10. I wanted to embed the HDD as a data interface between the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OIWB95, Jul 28, 2020.

1. OIWB95 Win User

Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10?

Hey, everybody.
    I set up a PC with 2x SSD and a HDD. The SSDs are Linux Manjaro and Win10. I wanted to embed the HDD as a data interface between the operating systems to be able to access it from both systems.

However, I can't find any tips on how best to do this.
    Does anyone have any experience with this and can help me further?

:)

OIWB95, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Formatting Hard Disks

We advise posting your query on a Linux support forum to receive proper instructions on how to format your spare hard disk. The support agents of the Linux support page should be able to provide you with the detailed steps on how to format a Linux hard disk.

If you have other questions or concerns in the future, we're just a click away.

Devlin Sco, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10?

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10?

1. Hard disk as data interface between Linux and Win10? - Similar Threads - Hard disk data

2. difference between window and linux

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    difference between window and linux: whats the difference between windows 10 and linux https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-window-and-linux/4d67db34-8180-463c-99a2-d02afaaf34c5
  3. Move data from hard disk to external hard disk without installed Windows version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move data from hard disk to external hard disk without installed Windows version?: I wanted to reinstall it because my Windows "broke" it. Now I have no space for Windows on the full hard disk Do I have to delete them? https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/daten-von-festplatte-auf-externe-festplatte-legen-ohne-installierte-windows-version
  4. Are there any known incompatibilities between Win10 build 2004 and USB audio interfaces?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are there any known incompatibilities between Win10 build 2004 and USB audio interfaces?: I'm a keyboard player that has used a laptop thru a Focusrite Scarlett 6I6 USB interface with no problems for several years. On July 4th, on my way outside to do some work, I turned on my laptop so it would be on when I came back. Later when I got back, there was the "we...
  5. Kali Linux on hard disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Kali Linux on hard disk?: Good morning I have 2 hard disks in my PC both HDD hard disks one is 1TB big and the other one has Windows on it. And the other one is 3TB big and so far only games on it. My question, can I install Kali Linux on my 3TB hard drive? Will all games still remain on the hard...
  6. Problem when copying data between disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem when copying data between disks: As most people i have 2 disks. I use one for the operative system and another one for gaming, images and videos. They both HDD. The thing is that my C disk is almost full so when i try to transfer data from the C disk to the D disk it says i do not have enough space to...
  7. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk: So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool onto a usb device but when i plugged it into the laptop it didn't boot from the USB drive and i was prompted to install an...
  8. Problems occurred between the communication of the hard disk and the host

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems occurred between the communication of the hard disk and the host: Problems occurred between the communication of the hard disk and the host Only 2tb drives have this issue, 3tb and up do not. Win10 pro 64x...
  9. Windows and Linux (Two different hard disks)

Windows and Linux (Two different hard disks): Hi there, I'm thinking to buy a new PC with a powerful core (i9) and a couple of hard disks: One for Windows 10 Home and one for Linux (probably CENTOS); caused my job. Can you please advise me about how to proceed with the installation? Is it better to unplug the hard disk...
  10. Migrate Win10 boot disk to another PC + install Linux on a second disk

Migrate Win10 boot disk to another PC + install Linux on a second disk: Ordered the components for a new PC will arrrive in the next week or so. I will reuse the disks from the old one, and the configuration will be SSD1: Win10 old installation, Legacy boot mode SSD2: new Linux installation, TBD (UEFI?) mode HDD: NTFS fs data/Win application...