Windows 10: hard disk capacity shows wrong size

Discus and support hard disk capacity shows wrong size in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by klausbrause, Dec 20, 2021.

1. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to not sum up correctly.What is the reason and how can I solve the problem?I appreciate any help -thanks!

:)

klausbrause, Dec 20, 2021

2. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Dec 20, 2021
  3. TK421bsod Win User
    Partition size and total disk space don't match

Even though the partition size for Disk 0 is 953.87 GB, the total capacity shows up as 793 GB in the list of properties. There isn't any unallocated space, and Drive E (Disk 1's second partition) has a capacity equal to the partition's size. How would I
    make the shown capacity equal to the partition size?

hard disk capacity shows wrong size 5db92db6-0396-48a0-b83c-d44f971687e0?upload=true.png

TK421bsod, Dec 20, 2021
  4. Naresh_K Win User

hard disk capacity shows wrong size

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Dec 20, 2021
Thema:

hard disk capacity shows wrong size

1. hard disk capacity shows wrong size - Similar Threads - hard disk capacity

2. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  3. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  4. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  5. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  6. What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...: [This question has been answered. Thanks to Carlo. Please Answer 1 more question that is below]My E drive Not a system drive is showing 4.61GB size. But, it's showing 4.62GB size on disk. What's the difference between these? Actually in another drive the difference is 3GB...
  7. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  8. USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity

in Windows 10 News
    USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity: [ATTACH]Sometimes, when you attempt to format a USB or an External drive, it shows […] This article USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?: What can I do about it? I have googled the running processes before, but actually the system is relevant. This is the system, and a few for windows update. And sometimes chrome when I call it up. I did a virus scan. I've quarantined two things, but I don't think...
  10. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...