Windows 10: Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

Discus and support Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m defragmenting the hard drive and at the last update of 3, the process reads ‘consolidating’. It’s taking up to 15 minutes to cover 1%, is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/michaelbosley_, May 11, 2020.

1. Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

I’m defragmenting the hard drive and at the last update of 3, the process reads ‘consolidating’. It’s taking up to 15 minutes to cover 1%, is this normal for it to take so long?? Just wondering so I know Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise :)

submitted by /u/michaelbosley_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/michaelbosley_, May 11, 2020
  2. CCKM12 Win User

optimise hard drives

tried to optimise pc hard drive, when I opened the page, this I what I get. even signed in as administrator. any suggestion?

Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise bbad77b8-f140-4066-98b1-f631a426b1ae.png

CCKM12, May 11, 2020
  3. SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise Drives" display,

Hi,

I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial supplied. After cloning, I removed the old hard drive and was happy to see that Windows loads fine from the new SDD,
    and everything seemed to be working fine.

However I have now noticed that the SSD (which is now my 'Drive C:') is still listed as a 'Hard Disk Drive' when I bring up the Defrag and Optimise Drive app and not as "Solid State Drive".

This is worrying me as I understood that Windows needs to correctly recognise the drive as a solid state drive in order to apply the correct optimisation policies.

My question is how can I make Wiondows 10 correctly treat the drive as a Solid State Drive?

Regards

Dave

DavidWilden, May 11, 2020
  4. regan1985 Win User

Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

optimising hard drives

like the titles says is there anyway i can optimise my hard drives in bios by changing things, i have been the opition but i dont know if i should change them or if i can, i have 2 ide drives!!! cheers*Toast :toast:

regan1985, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise

1. Hard disk drive taking forever to optimise - Similar Threads - Hard disk drive

2. Formatting a hard drive tooks forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting a hard drive tooks forever: Hi,I am currently working on downgrading to Windows 10, so I need to back up my files to the hard drive. Today, I was downloading the backup into the HDD, when the drive stopped working and said "The request failed due to fatal device hardware error". I was looking for some...
  3. Formatting a hard drive tooks forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting a hard drive tooks forever: Hi,I am currently working on downgrading to Windows 10, so I need to back up my files to the hard drive. Today, I was downloading the backup into the HDD, when the drive stopped working and said "The request failed due to fatal device hardware error". I was looking for some...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  5. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  6. Taking forever

7. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  8. External Drive taking forever to load. Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive taking forever to load. Help!: Hello everyone, Hope you are well!My PC is not loading my external hard disk properly, it keeps getting stuck on loading the drive and everything related to the drive just keeps getting stuck. I can't open it, I can't disconnect from it, I can't check the properties in...
  9. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  10. SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...

SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid Sate Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise...: Hi, I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial supplied. After cloning, I removed the old hard drive and was happy to see that Windows loads fine from the new SDD, and everything...