Windows 10: Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

Discus and support Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to free up my hard disk for Windows updates but the numbers don't add up. In folder options I chose both "Show hidden files, folders, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xy___0, Oct 4, 2019.

1. xy___0 Win User

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

I'm trying to free up my hard disk for Windows updates but the numbers don't add up. In folder options I chose both "Show hidden files, folders, and drivers" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system files". I tried Disk Cleanup and scanned with Windows Defenders but can't figured out the discrepancy. Please help

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up 6bbbad91-b60b-4e08-876b-4d6259f53b29?upload=true.jpg Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up 5f68f298-73a5-43b6-b3d8-1096c8d88f4b?upload=true.jpg

:)

xy___0, Oct 4, 2019

2. The used size of a hard disk that contains only one folder doesn't mat

Many thanks guys for the help,

• The Chkdsk /scan found no errors
    • The OS files are visible
    • The All folder used to be in the same HD 1 but the observation that they don’t have same size attracted my attention
    • I can compare folder by folder, but how to fix if I get difference in size?

The are still not identical size

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up [​IMG]

jamal numan, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Hard disk space

The first and most obvious reason you don’t have access to all your hard drive space is that there’s a significant piece of software installed on it already: your operating system. Unless you specifically selected a “no OS” model, it will come pre-installed
    with something.

Another place your hard drive space might have gone is to a manufacturer-created disk partitions. In years past, a new computer commonly came with one (or a whole book full of) CDs containing software, including a recovery disk. In the event of a total meltdown
    of your machine, you could boot from this drive and restore your computer to an right-out-of-the-box state.

Other possible reasons including hidden partitions, unpartitioned hard disk space, system protection takes up much space and many others. check out

this tutorial
    to see how to solve it step by step.

Hope it is helpful.

PeterPeng3, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

According to 'Properties' in Windows Explorer, my C drive (one of four partitions on my primary drive) has 296GB 'Used Space' and 272GB 'Free Space', giving a total partition size of 568GB. However, if I add up the total space occupied by all the folders
    and files on C drive that are listed in Windows Explorer they come to roughly 44GB. (The largest folder is Windows (19.5GB), followed by Users (9GB) and Program Files (5.8GB). The rest of the folders are smaller than this.). Nearly all my applications, data,
    photos, videos, backups etc are on the other three partitions on the primary hard drive or on a secondary internal hard drive.

Can anyone suggest what accounts for the HUGE discrepancy between the reported 'Used Space' and the total of the actual folders/files? I first noticed this when backing up my C drive using Acronis TrueImage, which yields a back up file of 218GB - presumably
    the 296GB with some compression. A few months back I recall that the Acronis backup files were sized at around 60-70GB, so there's something funny going on! If there is some giant folder or file that is lurking on my C drive, what could it be and why isn't
    it showing up in Windows Explorer?

Peter Brigg, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up

1. Hard disk free space and total folder size don't add up - Similar Threads - Hard disk free

2. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  3. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  4. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': My system drive C drive filled up completely and I have no idea how. I tried to check for files that might be eating up space in my C drive but even after adding up the sizes of all the files in the drive, it doesn't add up to the amount that is shown by in 'This PC' window....
  5. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': My system drive C drive filled up completely and I have no idea how. I tried to check for files that might be eating up space in my C drive but even after adding up the sizes of all the files in the drive, it doesn't add up to the amount that is shown by in 'This PC' window....
  6. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

7. File sizes and disk space don't add up

File sizes and disk space don't add up: I have a 1TB disk "TheFdrive". Properties report it as 929GB capacity, 855GB used, 73.2GB free.But individually the various folders add up to less than half that.I've emptied the recycling bin, done disk cleanup, including system files, it says it doesn't need defragging. I...
  8. Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC'

Size of all files don't add up to total space used shown in 'This PC': Hi,There is a post about this issue already from 2017, but I cannot see any response to resolve it. Here is the link to that post; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-all-files-dont-add-up-to-total-space-used/fd002e32-0ba5-499b-9933-8365d55e2534 I...
  9. Partition size and total disk space don't match

Partition size and total disk space don't match: Even though the partition size for Disk 0 is 953.87 GB, the total capacity shows up as 793 GB in the list of properties. There isn't any unallocated space, and Drive E Disk 1's second partition has a capacity equal to the partition's size. How would I make the shown capacity...
  10. Freeing up Disk Space??

Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...