Windows 10: Hard drive appearing full but the files don't add up

Discus and support Hard drive appearing full but the files don't add up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've had my 2TB hard drive for awhile and its been "full". I was curious where all my space went to. I went to check the space of all my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gooohii, Dec 15, 2020.

1. gooohii Win User

Hard drive appearing full but the files don't add up

Hello, I've had my 2TB hard drive for awhile and its been "full". I was curious where all my space went to. I went to check the space of all my files and it shows only 588 GB of space taken up, and do not know where the rest of that space went to. I do have hidden files visible as well.

I also ran a chkdsk through cmd and it shows that most the space is taken up but I still cant tell where its going. I also looked at disk management and my hard drive is not split up in anyway, just the whole drive being storage of 1863.02 GB

Any help would be appreciated

:)

gooohii, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Platibus Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive appearing full but the files don't add up - Similar Threads - Hard drive appearing

2. Hard Disk C full but the files and folders do not add up to the complete space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Disk C full but the files and folders do not add up to the complete space.: My Laptop's Drive C has a total of 107 GB space and I keep getting an error that my space is almost up and I need to free up space. I have already deleted most of the extra stuff and even a number of software that I was not using actively but not much space was created. I...
  3. Hard Disk C full but the files and folders do not add up to the complete space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk C full but the files and folders do not add up to the complete space.: My Laptop's Drive C has a total of 107 GB space and I keep getting an error that my space is almost up and I need to free up space. I have already deleted most of the extra stuff and even a number of software that I was not using actively but not much space was created. I...
  4. Hard Disk C full but the files and folders do not add up to the complete space.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Full hard drive

Full hard drive: I recently received a warning that my hard drive was full. My laptop is a HP 255 G3, which I understood had 5 GB RAM and 500 GB memory. When I checked storage it showed Local Disk C: - 930 GB and that over 860 GB was taken over by Apps & features. I have done some...
  6. Full hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full hard drive: I recently received a warning that my hard drive was full. My laptop is a HP 255 G3, which I understood had 5 GB RAM and 500 GB memory. When I checked storage it showed Local Disk C: - 930 GB and that over 860 GB was taken over by Apps & features. I have done some...
  7. Full hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. hard drive filed up

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive filed up: I was in windows10 settings and click something and my drive started filling up and now I have hardly any space left to do anything I found the problem folder it is $os or $of something like that I downloaded that program treesize and it found it a lot easier but I don't know...
  9. full hard drive

full hard drive: i have huge temp files appearing evry few minutes. most are AppXpackaging event logsas a consequence the computer hard drive is full and frozen. It fills up faster than I can delete the files. help there is also a text document referencing...
  10. Main hard drive (C) appears to be (almost) full...but isn't

in Windows 10 Support
    Main hard drive (C) appears to be (almost) full...but isn't: Hi good afternoon. I have a problem. My main 1 tb drive (C) is showing only 27 gigabytes free, but I know for a fact there should be around 850 gigabytes free.....at least that what was displayed yesterday. There is absolutely no way that I have used 830 gigabytes since...