Windows 10: Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

Discus and support Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BerkleyTodd, May 27, 2020.

1. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

Hi there,

Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related. The drive has also been making a constant rhythmic ticking sound - no grinding or slapping. Just a normal hard drive noise, but at a constant pulse, no matter if it's being used.

Specifically, my D: drive is constantly running at 100% active time, no matter the transfer rate. Even if the transfer rate is at 0.

When opening the task manager, and selecting the performance tab, it reveals that this is my primary files drive an HDD, which is separate from the SDD on which my OS is stored. Running chkdsk isn't revealing any problems. No processes in the task manager actually are showing significant disk usage.

Help?

:)

BerkleyTodd, May 27, 2020
  2. ALuidens Win User

Windows 10 Freezes; SSD's transfer rate goes to 100%

Hi,

I am experiencing the same exact problem.

• Dell Latitude E5520
    • Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.953)
    • Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (Booting Drive, Disk 0, based on combination 4GB SSD and the rest is HDD).
      • The last few months it was freezing briefly (within a minute or so) and then unfreezes. All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.
    • Crucial MX300 SSD 525GB Booting Drive (Disk 0), recently bought to replace the above 'aging' Seagate.
      • Freeze after a few operations and remains frozen until Power Recycled.
      • Disk Active Time spikes to 100% while Disk Transfer Rate is 0 or minimal.
      • All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.
    • I have not tried replacing the Microsoft generic SATA driver yet.
    Hope the above helps pin-pointing the issues. I would greatly appreciate assistance in how to replace the SATA driver, if there is no cure from Microsoft yet.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE:

Applied KB4015438. Same issue:

• All activities that do not need to access the drive can be done normally while frozen up to some point.

UPDATE (03/27/2017):

Applied KB4016635. Issue persists:

Replaced Microsoft Generic SATA Driver to OEM (Intel) Driver. System has been stable since 03/26/2017 15:10.

ALuidens, May 27, 2020
  3. Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, May 27, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

Slow internal hard drive transfer rates

Hi,

Please be informed that data transfer rates from hard drive to a computer or to other hard drive depends on several factors like size for data that being transferred; other tasks running in the background; RAM etc. You may install all pending Windows updates.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Also follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter
    on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
    Do let us know the performance of the computer. Thank you.

Pavan_N, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

1. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0 - Similar Threads - Hard Drive 100%

2. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  3. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  4. Hard drive transfer rate slow-help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive transfer rate slow-help: Sorry for my language ı am not native,Hi, I have a 1TB Internal Hard Drive of Toshiba brand it have 5400rpm in past it transfer rate used to go 60 to 80 m/b continuously, but now it start from 60 to 80 m/b for only one second and degrade to 10 to 30 m/b. When I got this...
  5. Hard Drive at 100% Active time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard Drive at 100% Active time: First of all I have an SSD that is working fine. I’m not sure what happened I’ll try to explain in detail my PC randomly crashed so I turned it off and back on and it took 10+ minutes to load, it normally takes 5 seconds I went into task manager and it says my D: drive has...
  6. Disk 0 Active time permanently at 100% even with no apps open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk 0 Active time permanently at 100% even with no apps open.: Hello! I've been experiencing intermittent performance issues over the past few days; my laptop takes forever to power on/shutdown, and all apps even the mouse cursor experienced growing periods of constant slowdown/crashes/freeze-ups. The issue seems to have slowly gotten...
  7. Transfer rate decrease with multiple drives?

Transfer rate decrease with multiple drives?: Hello people, I hope you are keeping good and safe. I'm experiencing a huge transfer speed drop down on nearly every ssd,hdd that I have, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a hint of what could be. I'm uploading several screenshoots that shoows how it starts with a...
  8. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  9. Solid State Drive 100% Active Time - No Transfer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Solid State Drive 100% Active Time - No Transfer: Recently, I took a PNY 240GB solid state drive out of my laptop and put it into my desktop. I wiped it and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 from a thumb drive onto it. Ever since I frequently get these strange hiccups where the drive active time is stuck at 100% in task...
  10. transfer hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    transfer hard drive: My old computer was a windows 8 that was upgraded to windows 10. I just ordered a new i5 6600 which comes with windows 10, a 250G SSD and 1 TB hard drive.. My old hard drive appears to be a Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA which seems to be the same as the one in my new Vanquish....