Windows 10: Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

Discus and support Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BerkleyTodd, May 27, 2020.

1. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

Hi there,

Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related.

Specifically, my D: drive is constantly running at 100% active time, no matter the transfer rate. Even if the transfer rate is at 0.

When opening the task manager, and selecting the performance tab, it reveals that this is my primary files drive an HDD, which is separate from the SDD on which my OS is stored. Running chkdsk isn't revealing any problems. No processes in the task manager actually are showing significant disk usage.

Help?

:)

BerkleyTodd, May 27, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, May 27, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Hard Drive activity constant 100%

I didnt disable all startup programs. Only the ones such as skype and chrome. (Those programs are only an example I have neither of those on my computer). It is the hard drive that is at 100% not the cpu or the RAM. I did say "hard drive activity".
    I checked hard drive for errors. I got nothing.

Richard J. Martinez, May 27, 2020
  4. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

little cat, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

1. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even - Similar Threads - Hard Drive 100%

2. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive at 100% utilization: why is my hard drive at 100% utilization? I do not have a lot open so it makes no sense that it is at 100% utilization. This never changes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-at-100-utilization/18093479-0c04-4ed7-b2b1-482432d7a621
  3. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive at 100% utilization: why is my hard drive at 100% utilization? I do not have a lot open so it makes no sense that it is at 100% utilization. This never changes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-at-100-utilization/18093479-0c04-4ed7-b2b1-482432d7a621
  4. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 100% Hard Drive Usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% Hard Drive Usage: I did a reset on my laptop and it took more than three hours to finish the reset. And after the reset my hard drive is taking 100% of usage allways. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-hard-drive-usage/ad56032e-8213-4046-a4c5-3c12c0d4c8db
  6. hard drive active 100% when no programs are running

hard drive active 100% when no programs are running: Why is my hard drive active 100% when the task manager shows no programs running?My computer use to boot in a few minutes cold boot, now it takes about 10 - 15 minutes to cold boot.These problems began manifesting when I began running the latest Win 10 Home premium...
  7. Hard Drive at 100% Active time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard Drive at 100% Active time: First of all I have an SSD that is working fine. I’m not sure what happened I’ll try to explain in detail my PC randomly crashed so I turned it off and back on and it took 10+ minutes to load, it normally takes 5 seconds I went into task manager and it says my D: drive has...
  8. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  9. Hard Drive Disk 100% Active Time Issue

Hard Drive Disk 100% Active Time Issue: Why is my hard drive disk is at always 100% of active time even i dont open any application? I am currently running Windows 10 November Update (Version 1909) Please help me fix this issue[ATTACH]...
  10. External Hard-drive at 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard-drive at 100%: My external hard-drive is constantly running at 100% for no reason. I have no idea what could be causing this and the fact that it's an external hard drive makes it a bit harder to solve as I'm not sure how to check what's taking it up. Thanks!...