Windows 10: Hard drive beeps at shutdown

Discus and support Hard drive beeps at shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Seagate 3TB hard drive that puts out a single short beep just before my system shuts down. I believe It's coming from the HDD itself because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rivre, Jan 24, 2017.

1. rivre Win User

Hard drive beeps at shutdown

I have a Seagate 3TB hard drive that puts out a single short beep just before my system shuts down. I believe It's coming from the HDD itself because even when I disconnect my motherboard's internal speaker I get the beep, and it sounds like it's coming from the HDD itself. I didn't think HDDs could beep but I called Gigabyte and they told me if I pull out my speaker from the g-connector and I still get the beep, then it's not the motherboard making the beep.

The drive is a data storage drive - I usually keep it in an external enclosure. I don't get a beep from my normal internal drives - only when I plug this particular drive in. I did get that same beep a few months ago from a couple other drives that were corrupted after problems I was having with my external enclosures. Maybe this drive also got hit with issues after being in those enclosures, but I don't know. The last time I ran Chkdsk on the drive it passed with no issues. Hard Drive Sentinel reports the drive is in perfect condition with no SMART errors. I ran Seagate Tools short drive self test, short generic and SMART tests and they all passed.

Any idea what this beep means? This makes me nervous.

Also, it doesn't beep when in my USB3 enclosure and I shut it down. When in my enclosure, I eject the drives/device with Windows safely remove icon, then flip the power switch on the enclosure. I only get the beep when it's in my PC connected via SATA.

:)

rivre, Jan 24, 2017

2. system crash windows 10 hp 32bit

this past Friday oct.30.15 my computer started beeping and the screen started flickering and everything shutdown . I was like what the **** !! I still don't know caused it . I did a drive check on both of my hard drives and they passed ,but my internal
    CD/DVD drive is no listed in the device manger ? so I have to fix that now . so I had to do a clean in stall of windows 7 hp 32bit and than to windows 10 and Cortana works now

charlesfrischknecht, Jan 24, 2017
  3. How to report windows 10 bug?

Hi, my hard drive brokened for a f**king windows 10

Please fix the hard drive killer bug!!

My hard drive signing, beeping. Im starting a program: my hard drive beeping, and clicking! Please, Pleaseeeee fix it noooow!!!!!

Oh: 1 minute: the XbOX app lagging my games a too fps drops, and a windows 7, xp, or vista: 470fps windows 10: 170 please fix the bugg

Im reporting for police!

CapiGaming, Jan 24, 2017
  4. rivre Win User

Okay - Seagate solved this one for me. It was the hard drive itself beeping at shutdown. He said the beep is indicating that the drive is not receiving enough power. Normally you wouldn't hear that beep at shutdown, but some of their drives for whatever reason do beep to indicate a lack of power when your system shuts down - in that instance when the PC shuts down, the drive detects the lack of power and gives out a short beep. He said it's nothing to worry about.

rivre, Jan 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Hard drive beeps at shutdown - Similar Threads - Hard drive beeps

2. PC hard drive wiped and cant boot after sudden shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC hard drive wiped and cant boot after sudden shutdown: Hello so i was making a game on roblox studio until i heard sparks from my pc plug and it shutdown when i put the plug in again it went past BIOS and fine until i saw a message that made my heart drop "Operating System Not Found" Now Why did this happen i have a 32gb usbdrive...
  3. Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown: Hello, I have a main boot drive on an ssd connected by a sata cable. The drive in question is my secondary drive F: and it is a regular hard drive, connected by a SATA III cable. When I "Shut Down" my PC the F: drive will not be recognized anymore. I have found that...
  4. Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary Hard Drive will stop being detected after pc shutdown: Hello, I have a main boot drive on an ssd connected by a sata cable. The drive in question is my secondary drive F: and it is a regular hard drive, connected by a SATA III cable. When I "Shut Down" my PC the F: drive will not be recognized anymore. I have found that...
  5. Win 10 shutdown causes hard drive failure for me.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 shutdown causes hard drive failure for me.: Hi microsoft , Im a designer artist , i had a laptop with everything on my hdd drive , I handle my laptop to my work every day , i was disabled windows "shutting down anyway or cancel screen " to have a faster shutdown , after this latest update that i dont remember when it...
  6. pc shutdown, 5 beeps vga led on restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc shutdown, 5 beeps vga led on restart: pc aorus gaming 3 wifi i5 9400f rx xfx 480 4gb this only happens when im playing path of exile my gpu temperature is above 85-90 then my pc just shutdown and when i try to turn it on my motherboard have 4 leds cpu, vram, vga and boot it stuck on vga and beep 5 times. 146626
  7. External drive beeping not recognized

External drive beeping not recognized: I have a backup Toshiba 3 tb external drive just beeps and not recognized by w10 dell * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-beeping-not-recognized/97e718b8-83ae-4dbb-be0a-4e9c714db2ed
  8. Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.: I have two WD hard drives with the OS installed on one and the other is for storage. All this started with a hard shut down when the PC froze and then after the restart Windows wouldn't boot at all. It was stuck at the Windows logo for a very long time. Then I checked in BIOS...
  9. hard drive making weird repeating beeping whine ?

hard drive making weird repeating beeping whine ?: so ive previously made a thread talking about my hard drive issues im currently having. so ive been at it all da backing up everything that i can. and while i was asleep for a couple hours i came back to hear either the hard drive or the motherboard. listening not all that...
  10. Tried to install new hard drive, but getting a beep and HD searching

Tried to install new hard drive, but getting a beep and HD searching: My 3-year old Dell desktop is running Win 10 Professional 64 bit. The original hard drive finally failed and I was able to switch to a backup hard drive I'd earlier installed with Win 7 with the F12 key on boot. I then tried to replace the faulty drive by removing it and...