Windows 10: Hard Drive Change with windows OS

Discus and support Hard Drive Change with windows OS in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I think I may need a hard drive to change soon. Sometimes I hear a very quiet clicking and apparently that's a sign of a potentially failing harddrive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Grantwr, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Grantwr Win User

Hard Drive Change with windows OS

I think I may need a hard drive to change soon. Sometimes I hear a very quiet clicking and apparently that's a sign of a potentially failing harddrive. I really would rather just install another hard drive I have, but I need to know if I put that one in, will windows OS be installed on it automatically. I have a digital activated license. If I go to another computer and download the "create a windows 10 installation media" and then put that in my computer after the hard drive changes, will it work and recognize my computer?

Thanks

:)

Grantwr, Dec 10, 2020
  2. little cat, Dec 10, 2020
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard Drive Change with windows OS - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Change

2. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  3. Changing OS drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing OS drive: So, my HDD is getting old, and I am planning maybe getting an SSD as my OS drive. I'll reset my HDD, but I just want to know how to change it over without having to pay for it again seeing as it is still the same computer. I'll then use the HDD as the one where I keep files...
  4. Changing Hard Drives

Changing Hard Drives: My current Win10 C: drive is 2TB SATA and was wondering how hard would it be transfer the installation to a 1TB SSD drive. I am currently only using 161 GB of my 2TB, but was thinking about moving it to increase speed. 164367
  5. changing a hard drive

changing a hard drive: i have an hp probook 6467b 64 bit and i have win 10 enterprise running now. last dec. i had win 10 pro running, it ran perfect. then i tried to get the fingerprint scanner to work, i was instructed on other forums to add tons of files. i did that and my pc locked up. so i...
  6. Hard Drive Change

Hard Drive Change: I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop since the last one was no good and wouldn't boot up. How can I reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive without having a product key or disk?...
  7. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  8. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...
  9. OS on separate hard drive.

OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  10. hard drive change

hard drive change: im about to upgrade my hard drive in win 10 to a larger one what do i need to do if the change knocks my product key out assuming a hard drive is a major change like a motherboard...