Windows 10: Hard Drive Clean-up

Discus and support Hard Drive Clean-up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Hard drive is 'full'. 800 GB of 900 GB is in 'Other files' I cannot see. How can I see them and delete the unwanted ones safely?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BillSeldon1, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Hard Drive Clean-up

My Hard drive is 'full'. 800 GB of 900 GB is in 'Other files' I cannot see. How can I see them and delete the unwanted ones safely?

:)

BillSeldon1, Sep 18, 2020

2. Cleaned hard drive

Hello my name is Bradford and I'm an Independent Advisor for the Microsoft Community and I will try to answer your question about the security of your online accounts that were once used with that hard drive.

By "clean" I assume you mean "format" or the actual "clean" command in diskpart- a feature built into Windows.

If that is the case then yes, the information needed to access your online accounts has been removed and it is safe to sell the drive.

If, however, this is not what you did, below please refer to the tutorial on how to run the "clean" command.

1. Press "Windows Key + R" to open the run dialogue

2. Type cmd then press
    Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the command as an administrator

3. Then type diskpart and press enter

4. Then type list disk and press enter

5. Then a list of the hard drives connected will be displayed, type the number of the disk you want to clean with the "select disk" before it, for example
    select disk 1

BEFORE you proceed to the next step please be sure that you selected the correct disk as the next step is NOT recoverable.

6. Then type clean and press enter.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Omoikane1122, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Clean a hard drive

I use a progam called Dban for cleaning off all the data.

Edit: If you don't care about the hard drive getting broken (hey I destroy all my old HD's), then do what I do. Real secure data removal requires the following:

Rifle (I have an SKS)
    10-15 Rounds FMJ (I use Chinese Steel Core 124gr 7.62x39mm, but bonus points if you use incendiary (black tip) rounds.)
    Ability to shoot well.

Set up the hard drive 20 yards away or more. Scrap metal is possible, but usually the aluminum is pretty tame. Mark 10-15 spots on hard drive to shoot, and 1 in the spindle. Then just step back, shoot, and see that you made data removal quick, easy, and most importantly fun! Nothing says "No Warez Here" like 15 bullet holes in your hard disk!

PVTCaboose1337, Sep 18, 2020
  4. Hard Drive Clean-up

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drive Clean-up

1. Hard Drive Clean-up - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Clean

2. how to clean hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to clean hard drive: remove files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clean-hard-drive/d2d6764a-b5ae-43ef-af5d-4d2478390843
  3. Help cleaning up folders on PC to free up hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help cleaning up folders on PC to free up hard drive: I am trying to remove duplicate folders/profiles in my Windows Explorer to free up space on my hard drive. I am not able to download any MS updates. I am the only user on this PC. My microsoft account is under Mary Hill, which is why there is a "Mary Hill" profile, and then...
  4. secondary hard drive clean up

secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  5. cleaning a 3.5" hard drive

cleaning a 3.5" hard drive: I have a hard drive from a previous desktop. I have ordered a SATA-USB w/power converter. I want to clean all data from the drive. I have 3 linked computers thru OneDrive. Should I close OneDrive on the PC I'm going to use before I start? I've researched several methods...
  6. I cleaned hard drive clean

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cleaned hard drive clean: I cleaned my ASUS X453M hard drive totally clean, i don't know how to download windows on it cause i don't have a flash drive. I tried to use that hard drive to download windows on it, and it did not worki used youtube videos i found....
  7. Cleaned hard drive

Cleaned hard drive: I have cleaned my old laptop's hard drive and Removed all data and personal files so i can sell it. Does that mean no one will be able to Log in to my accounts on other websites ?...
  8. hard drive cleaning

hard drive cleaning: I would like to clean my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-cleaning/05bfae9c-6174-4938-9e25-31f892008c04"
  9. Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive?: I just upgraded to W10 from W7 less than a week ago. So far it's been great, no problems (fingers crossed) But I have a question about the hard drive: it now has a LOT more free space than it did. The upgrade removed over 200GB from it. I have checked all my docus and...
  10. Software to Clean Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Software to Clean Hard Drive: Good morning, I would like to thank everyone for all of the help I have received with my problem. However, I could not get the hard drive cleaned. Is there a software that TECHS use to clean the hard drive? I willing to buy it today. 101333