Windows 10: Hard drive clicking when not in use

Discus and support Hard drive clicking when not in use in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I'd like to disable (turn off, spin down, etc-stop it from making noise) my hard drive when I'm not actively using it. I just moved my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vegetariouscarnivore, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Hard drive clicking when not in use

Hard drive clicking when not in use Bd_1aoZb_xyo4kCUbLSMD8YXExxWPCaTvAv-Rac1WxQ.jpg

I'd like to disable (turn off, spin down, etc-stop it from making noise) my hard drive when I'm not actively using it. I just moved my computer onto my desk and lowered the idle fan speed and the clicking sound is infuriating. It'll ping-pong between nothing and almost nothing every few seconds:

active

inactive

It alternates between these states every 2-5 seconds, and I can hear the teensy little clicking noises when I'm not listening to any audio (the curse of open-backed headphones) it's driving my crazy.

The drive, for those curious: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-2-5-Inch-ST5000LM000/dp/B01M0AADIX Yes, it's a 5tb 2.5 inch drive. I needed cheap (ish) mass storage for an ITX build (FormD T1). It arrived as an OEM drive without a warranty, which is common with this model. Not worried, as I have Backblaze, but something to note if you're interested in getting one.

submitted by /u/vegetariouscarnivore
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vegetariouscarnivore, Jan 6, 2021

2. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Jan 6, 2021
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 6, 2021
  4. Hard drive clicking when not in use

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Hard drive clicking when not in use

1. Hard drive clicking when not in use - Similar Threads - Hard drive clicking

2. Why hard drive is active when not being used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why hard drive is active when not being used.: On my Dell XPS 8950 Pc with win 11, I was working with a project where the files are on an internal drive, I. I kept hearing all this disk activity and felt one of my external drives, B, and it was the source. I looked in task manager and saw that its activity was about 33%,...
  3. Why hard drive is active when not being used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why hard drive is active when not being used.: On my Dell XPS 8950 Pc with win 11, I was working with a project where the files are on an internal drive, I. I kept hearing all this disk activity and felt one of my external drives, B, and it was the source. I looked in task manager and saw that its activity was about 33%,...
  4. Primary hard drive keeps restarting when in use.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Primary hard drive keeps restarting when in use.: My hard drive containing windows seems to be restarting while in use. My old hard drive died so I switched to a new one. When I do a fresh install or reseat the drive, it works just fine for a few days and the problem starts again. The red light indicating disk activity glows...
  5. Primary hard drive keeps restarting when in use.

Primary hard drive keeps restarting when in use.: My hard drive containing windows seems to be restarting while in use. My old hard drive died so I switched to a new one. When I do a fresh install or reseat the drive, it works just fine for a few days and the problem starts again. The red light indicating disk activity glows...
  6. Primary hard drive keeps restarting when in use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. use hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  8. use hard drive

use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  9. External Hard Drive with clicking sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive with clicking sound: A relative with toddlers just gave me his "Western Digital Passport Ultimate" external HDD that he saves all his family videos on , that was tossed by one of his tods to the ground while playing a video . Yes its a crises , and for the first time in my life I meet a drive...
  10. Viruses and Used Hard Drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Viruses and Used Hard Drives: Is it possible for a malware/virus/whatever bad software to be permanently part of a hard drive even after a full format/full erasure, or does the erasing/formatting process completely wipe any trace of the virus on the hard drive? my father's computer suffered a short, and...