Windows 10: Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?

Discus and support Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a Windows 7 OS that was automatically updated a long time ago to Windows 10. I had been using the machine for years, but just the other day the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulDonaldson3, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?

I had a Windows 7 OS that was automatically updated a long time ago to Windows 10. I had been using the machine for years, but just the other day the hard drive appears to have died. I am not sure if there's a way to use Windows 10 on that same machine now. I am purchasing a new hard drive.

Any advice?

:)

PaulDonaldson3, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now?

1. Hard Drive Died - I had a Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10. What now? - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Died

2. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  3. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  4. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  6. Windows 10 cumputer motherboard died. I had upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 cumputer motherboard died. I had upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium: My Windows 10 computer's motherboard just died. I had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack I bought then took the free upgrade later. I don't remember using a Microsoft account. I still have the Product Key for my original Windows 7 installation...
  7. Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10

Windows 10 drive died now back to 7 and want to reinstall 10: My old C drive is dead to the world. I made a new Recovery USB on a 32G USB key after each 'new' version of Windows 10 was released. I have an unused 256G SSD that I've formatted and primed (formatted GPT) for a new WIN10 installation but when I boot the USB key and click...
  8. I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    I want to virtualize the hard drive from windows 7 laptop which died: hey everyone. I think I'm getting ready to embark on my first virtualization. I had a laptop running windows 7 (upgraded from windows vista) and it died. So I put the hard drive in an enclosure and connected it to my new laptop running windows 10. I've heard that if i...
  9. Had Windows 10, hard drive died, got Linux, want to go back to Windows 10.

Had Windows 10, hard drive died, got Linux, want to go back to Windows 10.: Like it says in the subject, how do I go back to Windows 10 after putting Linux in? I want to erase the OS. Thank you, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/had-windows-10-hard-drive-died-got-linux-want-to/42bfd975-1c31-4762-b2b0-d5c67b7cff15
  10. Dying Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....