Windows 10: Hard drive died now i got broken software and can't fix it

Discus and support Hard drive died now i got broken software and can't fix it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So i had software installed on a hard drive that died. When i now reinstall the software it claims it already is installed, but if i go to add and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SirChick, Apr 14, 2020.

1. SirChick Win User

Hard drive died now i got broken software and can't fix it

So i had software installed on a hard drive that died.

When i now reinstall the software it claims it already is installed, but if i go to add and remove programs it does not list any such program as being installed... clearly some residual information is left on my main drive or something but i do not know how to clean up such data related to software that was on my dead hard drive.

Does any one know what causes this issue and how to fix it ?

Windows 10 version number: 1909

:)

SirChick, Apr 14, 2020
  2. SirChick Win User

So i had software installed on a hard drive that died.

When i now reinstall the software it claims it already is installed, but if i go to add and remove programs it does not list any such program as being installed... clearly some residual information is left on my main drive or something but i do not know how to clean up such data related to software that was on my dead hard drive.

Does any one know what causes this issue and how to fix it ?

Windows 10 version number: 1909

SirChick, May 25, 2020
  3. idgat Win User

Firstly, can we assume that you're re-installing the software onto a new drive ? Did you do a clean (re)install of Windows (or was it imaged) ?

What is the software ? Some types of software have limitations on the number of (re)installs, irrespective of when and where it's being (re)installed - the error message about being already installed relates to it having been done before, anywhere, and not necessarily on the current (new?) OS.

idgat, May 25, 2020
  4. SirChick Win User

The drive with the OS is fine (The C drive). That is on my SSD. I have not reinstalled windows or anything as nothing is wrong with that drive.

The drive that died was just a hard drive with random software installed on it.

SirChick, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive died now i got broken software and can't fix it - Similar Threads - Hard drive died

2. I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE: I GOT A NEW wINDOWS cOMPUTER WITH 11HAD OLD COMPUTER WITH 10CAN'T ACCESS MY DRIVE FILES ON NEW COMPUTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-new-computer-now-cant-access-drive/f7011caa-433b-4d1e-9819-2289481d3d2e
  3. I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I GOT A NEW COMPUTER NOW CAN'T ACCESS DRIVE: I GOT A NEW wINDOWS cOMPUTER WITH 11HAD OLD COMPUTER WITH 10CAN'T ACCESS MY DRIVE FILES ON NEW COMPUTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-new-computer-now-cant-access-drive/f7011caa-433b-4d1e-9819-2289481d3d2e
  4. External Hard Drive Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Broken: My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all of the downloads to it have disappeared and don't show up anymore also when I open my computer it wont start until it is...
  5. External Hard Drive Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Broken: My external hard drive broke very suddenly, things work when it isn't plugged in, but when plugged in file explorer only stays on 'working on it' all of the downloads to it have disappeared and don't show up anymore also when I open my computer it wont start until it is...
  6. dying hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dying hard drive: My hard drive is dying. Several times each week, it crashes and I get an error message "Hard drive failure. Press F1 to reboot". Sometimes F1 works, sometimes I need to power off and restart, and sometimes I have to boot from a rescue CD. I want to buy a new hard drive and...
  7. Dying Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dying Hard Drive?: Over the past two weeks my hard drive has came to concluding evidence that it is dying and I was wondering if there was anyway to fix it. Take a look at my Crystal Disk Info....
  8. My Hard drive died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Hard drive died: My hard drive in my laptop failed . I'm having to replace the drive. I have the windows 10 home on a USB from when the disability desk helped me recover my laptop from malware. I think the hard drive was damaged from the infection because whole sectors were corrupted after...
  9. Is my hard drive dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive dying?: My system has an SSD boot drive and a secondary internal hard drive. The hard drive is assigned drive letter E. I use it for general storage, downloads, etc. Starting today the system hangs at boot time on SATA Port 6 - which is where the hard drive is connected. If I...
  10. Is this a hard drive dying issue?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is this a hard drive dying issue?: Had a friend call me the other night asking for help about her PC. She said it would not boot up. It tries, but it just sits there "spinning" and not loading. She said she had Windows 10 and has had it since last year. I get there, start the PC and immediately I see it's...